Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davejag Posts: 308, Reputation: 5

Feb 29, 2008, 11:44 PM
    1 to 2 glasses of wine she must be harming her child
    Hello again everyone I guess all get to it, a girlfriend of mine is 28 weeks pregnant ( same as my self). My husband and I had dinner at her house with her husband as we walked in the table had been set, the only strange thing was we all had wine glasses. So I thought to myself well maybe will have juice instead of wine, boy was I wrong she began serving wine to the 4 of us. When I told her ah no thanks remember we are pregnant, she said no worries one glass won't hurt you. I nearly fell of my chair she told me that she drinks 1 to 2 glasses every 2 weeks. I am sorry is that not harming her unborn child, or am I just over reacting? Does her doctor not check for alcohol in her urine every time she has a prenatal appointment?
    jennyrene Posts: 20, Reputation: 6

Mar 1, 2008, 12:50 AM
    I didn't even drink caffeine with my pregnancies, so I know where you are coming from. However doctors do say that a certain amount of wine is actually good for the baby. I know it doesn't make any sense to me either, you'd think the alcohol would harm it but there is evidentaly something in wine. I can't remember what amount isn't harmful though.
    No way would I chance it, I don't see the point in it. Hopefully your friends baby will be healthy.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 11:35 AM
    It is often suggested to refrain from drinking at all during pregnancy, especially in the first trimester, more so in the US than anywhere else. You will see a wide range of recommendations, often depending on where you live and who you talk to.
    The occasional glass of wine is not likely going to be an issue, but how much is too much? That point is hotly debated, even among health professionals, so the guideline of abstaining all together keeps it simple.
    As with many things in life, what is OK for one person, may be a concern for someone else... so many pregnant women decide to be on the safe side and have nothing.

Mar 2, 2008, 01:50 PM
    I agree thank you guys so much, I just thought maybe I was doing something wrong. I totally believe that staying away from alcohol even if it is just wine, thanks again guys.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 02:01 PM
    Red wine has health benefits such as helping the blood to circulate better and lowering cholesterol. There are anti-oxidants in wine too. Of course, it's up to each pregnant woman to decide for herself, but in my experience, an occasional glass of red wine after the first trimester is heathful rather than deleterious.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 03:05 PM
    It's no big deal, really. I had trouble sleeping with all 4 of my pregnancies, the doctor suggested a glass or two of red wine to help.

You see, you are now past the danger zone. All organs have been created and have been working for some time now. Baby is just putting on weight at this stage of your pregnancy.

Have a glass or two of red wine, drink a coke or a pepsi to satisfy cravings (I drank pepsi every day with all 4 of my pregnancies).

Not to worry, it's fine, just don't drink the whole bottle, LOL

Mar 2, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Lol thanks I just am really new at this and I don't want to hurt the baby in anyway. I do have to say I reallllllly miss drinking wine, I loved having a glass of wine with dinner. Since I got pregnant the husband is the only one that is having wine with dinner, now I can have a glass here and there. Thanks for all your great answers it really helps having someone to talk to.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Drinking alcohol while pregnant is never advisable. I don't know if the doctor actually checks the urine for traces of it or not. But it's one of those areas where one should not take chances.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 04:13 PM
    If you are talking about 1 or 2 glasses every few weeks, there should be no harm in that, but it is a personal choice, if it worries you don't,

Mar 2, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Well I think that I have been holding out for 28 weeks, what's another 12 weeks right? So I guess I could wait all ask the doctor next week and see what he says. I am just concerned about my girlfriends baby ( the one we had dinner with), what happens if she has 1 or 2 glasses a week will her baby have complications?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 04:29 PM
    Like I said earlier, you and she are past the first trimester, and, as J_9 added, the baby is only gaining weight now; all organs have developed. If it were me (and it was), I would drink occasional glasses of wine (and I did). If it worries you, don't drink. If she chooses to drink, well, that's her choice.

Her baby can have complications from far more innocuous things like polluted air she had breathed during her first trimester. Did she breathe in fuel fumes and emissions while she was gassing up her car? Hmmmmmm... So you see, you can panic over all sorts of things. And even if you live a perfect life during pregnancy, your baby inherits all sorts of icky stuff from its ancestors.

Mar 2, 2008, 04:30 PM
    I guess your right, being worried isn't going to get you anywhere.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 05:48 PM
    I agree that all of the major internal organs are present in the third trimester, but it is important to know that they are still maturing and developing. The brain, in particular, goes through increased development in the last trimester making good habits still very much important.

When you consider that whatever you take in does indeed go to baby in some measure, only you can decide what you are comfortable with. Would the occasional glass of wine cause any noticeable alterations?. Very unlikely. Would it cause any unnoticable alterations? Some studies suggest it might, or even that it does. Therein lies the concern of many... hence the recommendations the way they are.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 05:53 PM
    And don't breathe while you're gassing up your vehicle.
    ang8318 Posts: 299, Reputation: 27

Mar 3, 2008, 06:59 AM
    When I asked my doctor if I could have wine she said that it is safest to avoid all alcohol when pregnant because it has yet to be determined how much alcohol causes FAS. I chose to avoid all alcohol during my pregnancy, but I have friends who had wine throughout theirs, I guess it is just personal preference. Me, I would rather be safe than sorry.
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Mar 3, 2008, 02:38 PM
    My doc didn't see a problem with having one to two glasses of red wine per week after the first trimester. I think I had my first glass around mid second trimester, and there were several weeks when I didn't drink a drop. When you are really feeling the effects of pregnancy and all you want is to sleep, but can't because you're too uncomfortable, there is nothing that feels better than a small glass of wine to relax you just enough to go to sleep. I know about all the hype and the possibility of FAS, but I think it's up to the mother. It's not like I was drinking a bottle a week, or even 3 glasses. Red wine is good for you... in moderation. My son is perfectly healthy and one of the happiest babies I've ever seen. There is so much to worry about these days. Sometimes I think there is too much, some of it nonsense. My grandmother may have worried about things like reaching above your head and getting the cord caught around the baby's neck, but she didn't worry about things like we do today. I know we are much more educated than in her day, but we're all here, and the good majority of us are fine. If we aren't careful, pretty soon pregnant mothers are going to be confined to their homes, breathing through masks, eating a regimented diet, being exluded from the rest of the world because everything will be bad for our unborn child. I say relax and trust your instincts. Consult with your doctor on anything you are uncertain of. An educated woman will know that drinking a bottle of wine or smoking crack isn't good for her unborn child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Red wine glasses? [ 4 Answers ]

Can you advise me on how to select the correct red wine glasses - there seems to be quite a range. I have Bordeaux glasses but now require something that would be usable with all red wines.

My PC need glasses ? [ 2 Answers ]

I have the hp pavilion and the hp psc 750 printer. We installed a cd rw, which started to slowly give me freeze ups at various times and caused numerous restarts. I have since gone back to the original cd rom pending further evaluation of rewritables. Now however my computer says it doesn't...

Physically Harming [ 5 Answers ]

Has anyone ever been in the same room as someone being physically attacked and see the bruise?

Are there softwares that can increase internet speed?without harming your computer? [ 5 Answers ]

Are there softwares which can maximize internet speed and have no disadvantage

My brother's credit debt harming my credit score! [ 2 Answers ]

Just some background information- my brother has many, many debts. (he is a lawyer that just never succeeded and has no real work ethic) So he uses my father's credit cards, pays the minimum amount every month, and he basically lives off my father's credit cards for all of his expenses. My brother...

View more questions Search