Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alisha Raye Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2015, 04:54 PM
    Hourly labor laws?
    Not sure if there is a such thing. Only reason I'm asking is because a lot of coworkers & myself have been asked to do job that are way over our payrate with no recognation... I didn't know if we could deny the work other than what we get paid for in follows to our job title
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 20, 2015, 07:58 PM
    There are fair labor laws but you have not given us much to work with, more details are needed. Where are you located. Compliance Assistance By Law - The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2015, 08:21 PM
    Hourly, Salary, union??
    Alisha Raye Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2015, 01:46 AM
    Myself for example... I'm titled a packer, packing items into displays in assembly... however I do shipping & receiving, I run assembly lines, inventory,supervise a project that is year around, I help project management with special projects & designs... I enjoy doing all of this but when struggling living pay check to pay check I'm tired of giving my all with nothing in return nor nothing to show for it, not even a better job title to go look for a better job...
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 21, 2015, 03:26 AM
    Some employers reward good work and extra areas of work, but many don't. YOU have to walk in to personnel and say that you deserve a raise and a promotion. Plan it. Don't be negative and demanding, but don't be meek. It's a thin line. Keep it short too. Describe all you have done outside your job description and for how long (positive), say that you value the experience (positive), and now you deserve that raise and promotion. Either walk in and remain standing and end with something about expecting an answer in 3 days, or make an appointment. Think carefully about every single moment of how you will do this. Don't waffle or say um. If the person needs more than 3 days, say you can go 5 days, but that there's a reason why you can't wait longer than that. (That implies a job offer, but don't lie and if asked, say you won't say.) It's always a risk, but if you do it right, it's worth it, and you should be respected for it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 21, 2015, 03:31 AM
    Titles mean nothing if all the jobs pay the same. Management has a right to direct their resources as they are needed. If they pay you for the days/hours you work elsewhere you have no beef, so the question becomes is there a difference in pay that goes with those titles?

Whether your pay is adequate has no bearing on this matter since you agreed to the level of pay when you took the job. Refer to your company handbook.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 21, 2015, 07:39 AM
    Companies are trying to get by with less employees so they are adding more duties to employees work load. And they are not necessarily increasing pay.

There is nothing illegal about it. If you are union you talk to your shop steward. If not, you talk to your supervisor or HR about the fact that your duties and responsibilities have increased and that you feel you are entitled to an increase in pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hourly salary laws? [ 2 Answers ]

Is it leqal for an employer to lower your hourly pay rate?

Labor rights: Hourly employee or contracted? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know if I am an hourly employee, or an employee working under a contract. I am an instructor at a vocational school in NJ. At the start of each quarter, my employer has the faculty sign a "work agreement". This work agreement structures our pay based on the number of...

FL Labor laws [ 1 Answers ]

If I show up to work as scheduled and upon arrival they tell me they don't need me are they required to pay me for a minimum amount of scheduled hours

Hourly labor laws [ 1 Answers ]

I work for a faily large body shop that has all four estimators on a set salary. As of 01/02/08 we are told we have to go to hourly rate. And was told it will be calculated by our old salary for 12 months divided into hours. We also currently get no vacation... my question is one of several for...

Labor Law in New Hampshire, Salaried vs Hourly [ 3 Answers ]

My question is: If an employer put someone on salary,(supervisor/manager), can that position be taken away from him/her for no reason given? Can a salaried person have his salaried position taken away and put on hourly wages if he/she has had that salaried position for more than 2 years?

View more questions Search