Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Linkef0 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 10:03 AM
    Stealing $20 at my last day of my job
    Hey guys I am just wondering about if I will get a criminal record if I steal 20 dollars in ESSO on the last day of the job, My boss saw it on a video tape and he have proof that I stole that much. But the problem is that I am very pissed off because they are not giving me my last paycheck and my holiday pay as well and that is around 270 dollars. The reason is that he is not giving it to me because he thinks I stole a lot more and I did but they have no proof so I not going to tell them that. I waited 2 months but I think bylaw he have to give it to me right? My mom and dad are worried that my boss will give me a criminal record but I think this is bull because they have to give me my money right. Tell me what to do, to get the money or not? HELP ME Thx Hopefully this make sense.
    posey_84 Posts: 202, Reputation: 15

Apr 28, 2008, 10:08 AM
    U deserve no help and everything u get
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2008, 12:30 PM
    Let me see. You admit that you have stolen from your employer. And now you are upset because "he's not giving you the money you deserve"? Do I have that right? How do you like being on the other side of what you did?

If your till has come up short on your shift, and he has proof that you have stolen some money, I wouldn't be surprised to see him withhold your last paycheck to make up for his losses. You can argue the point with him, in which case I sincerely hope that he files criminal charges against you.
    Toluca_86 Posts: 114, Reputation: 11

Apr 28, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Yes, you can get a criminal record for stealing $20.

He may be obligated to pay you your last check (not sure how that works, may depend on the state) but you can get a criminal record for stealing any amount, just depending on whether the one stolen from decides to press charges...

Him owing you money doesn't preclude you being arrested for stealing.

I mean, I've done dumb stuff, but I don't think I've ever asked a question this dumb. Have fun dealing with this, maybe, hopefully you'll learn something.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkef0
    Hey guys I am just wondering about if I will get a criminal record if I steal 20 dollars in ESSO on the last day of the job, My boss saw it on a video tape and he have proof that I stole that much. But the problem is that I am very pissed off because they are not giving me my last paycheck and my holiday pay as well and that is around 270 dollars. the reason is that he is not giving it to me because he thinks I stole alot more and I did but they have no proof so I not going to tell them that. I waited 2 months but I think bylaw he have to give it to me right? My mom and dad are worried that my boss will give me a criminal record but I think this is bull because they have to give me my money right. Tell me what to do, to get the money or not?? HELP ME Thx Hopefully this make sense.
    (1) Yes, you can get a criminal record if you steal on your first, last or any other day of employment.

(2) I have no idea why you would post that you did, in fact, steal more than that "but they have no proof" when this is a public board and your employer can pull your identifying information and use your statement against you.

(3) You are not legally allowed to steal when you think you've been wronged or to "make up" what you think you are owed vs what you've been paid. It's still called stealing - and the Courts are harder when you're stealing from an employer.

(4) Your Mom and Dad are right, you could have a criminal record if "Esso" (whatever that is) decides to press charges.

(5) This is not bull.

(6) If they owe you and haven't paid you, take them to Court.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Actually, he could appeal to NOT pay you your paycheck and for you to actually pay back what you've stolen + attorney fees + fines depending on how far your employer wants to take this.

... I got to agree with the above posters... you're actually upset that he owes YOU money? Ridiculous.
    Solarrigger2000 Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Dude how stupid are you!
    What did you do:
    1) Steal a considerable amount from an employer
    2) Complain you aren't getting paid
    3) Admit to this on a public forum (Yes you used a username but it can still be traced to you!)

You deserve to be sued for anything and everything!
    Trust me you will.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Let me see if you did not steal, he would have had to prove the other thefts, and they are obligated by law to pay you your last paycheck on the next scheduled pay day. Often holiday pay does not get paid in all states.

But yes, if they call the police and report you, you will or can have a criminal record.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Hello L:

Let me see. This started with him having NO proof that you stole ANY money. But, because he THOUGHT were stealing, you PROVED him right. Is that about it??

If anybody deserves a record, Dude, it's you.

excon
    pseudointellect Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2012, 09:18 PM
    If you are telling the truth and only stole 20$ then he owes you ymthe difference of 20 dollars and your check. If he properly investigates this and carefully reviews the films and till records you deserve your money. Try to come to a non legal agreement with your old boss be very apologetic and you may be able to work something out. If you have a feeling he will try to be a and press charges I would not worry about the last check. Good luck
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2012, 04:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudointellect View Post
    If you are telling the truth and only stole 20$ then he owes you ymthe difference of 20 dollars and your check. If he properly investigates this and carefully reviews the films and till records you deserve your money. Try to come to a non legal agreement with your old boss be very apologetic and you may be able to work something out. If you have a feeling he will try to be a and press charges I would not worry about the last check. Good luck

This question is from 2008 - ?

There is no such thing as a "non legal agreement."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stealing [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 21 she was a good kid I have found out she has been stealing money from my sister she is not on drugs and knows she can ask me for money and I never turn her down she has been lying about a lot of things and I don't know what to do I told her to leave my house and she has...

Stealing at work! [ 4 Answers ]

My close friend was accused of stealing 60 dollars out of her register. I think she may have talen it. She is worried that they will find it on camera and send the police to her house to arrest her. Can they send the police to her house or can they just fire her?

I cannot stop stealing [ 3 Answers ]

It started about two years ago, a year after my mom left our family without one word of leaving. My dad was in debt, and I never got spending money. I was okay though and for a while I dealt with it. Somewhere down the line, I brought myself to believe that I deserved good things, I deserved pretty...

Stealing [ 3 Answers ]

Does the on-site manager of an apartment complex have the legal right to move my property without giving notice that the property is in the way of other tenants? Can they legally CUT A LOCK to move a bicycle when I was never notified that such action would be taking place? I am the one with the...

Stealing from home [ 4 Answers ]

Recently, my sister started stealingfrom home all the time. It saddens me to see her like this :'(, and my parents are depressed too... we do not know what to do... we've lost digital camera(S), mobilephones(s), videoplayer, wallets, and so much money that now we are really struggling... we tried...

View more questions Search