Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ferchak48 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 06:40 AM
    Tapping into electrical outlet
    How do I use an existing outlet to run a new line?
    If you can illustrate this, it would be a huge help.
    In my garage, I have a garage door opener on the ceiling and I would like to get electric from there and run a new outlet to one side (concrete walls exist).
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Dec 30, 2008, 11:37 AM
    The task is simple enough, what may be more complicated is peicing it all together.

In principle, all you need to do (assuming your garage opener plugs into a regular wall outlet, that happens to be on the ceiling) is remove the cover, connect your new wire to the unused terminals on the outlet. White to silver and black to brass and bare copper (or green) to the ground screw (normally painted green).

The on the other end of the cable, repeat.

However you need to provide more information.

Such as is your excisting outlet box recessed into the ceiling, or does it stick out? (this can make a big difference in the amount of time it takes and cost to compete the project, for your sake I hope the outlet is not recessed, then you can just run conduit)

Will you want to run romex or conduit?

More importantly, are you sure that the garage door outlet is at the end of the line as far as that circuit goes. If not, then you will need a juntion box, which opens a whole new can of worms.

But that's the basic of how it goes. Some of the more expirenced onces here can quote some actual codes for you to go by. I just wanted to give you a general idea.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting regular 3 prong electrical outlet to dryer outlet [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a stacking washer and dryer and now the electrical cord on the dryer won't reach down to the existing dryer outlet. Is there any way to convert a regular 3 prong outlet that is close enough into a dryer outlet?

Electrical outlet box [ 1 Answers ]

What does it mean to tag the groung wires in an electrical outlet box?

Connecting new 220V line & tapping off a 110V outlet. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 220V outlet on the outside of my garage, originally intended to power 220v compressors, welders, etc. I am installing a well not far from this outlet, which needs 220V and I want to run a line from the outlet (underground) line to the pump. How do I do the connections to the pump and can I...

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

Electrical Outlet [ 2 Answers ]

My Electrical Outlet Is Not Working. I Have Checked The Breaker Box. What Could Be The Problem?

View more questions Search