Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    antonotty Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2006, 08:27 AM
    Difference between true air speed and equivalent air speed
    What is the difference between the two and when an aircraft is flying at altitude what is its actual speed
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2006, 08:37 AM
    From here:
    Airspeed indicator (ASI)

a) ASI is a differential pressure guage that measures dynamic pressure, the difference between static and total, or ram, pressure caused by movement of the aircraft through the air

b) Corrugated phospor-bronze aneroid, or diaphragm, receives ram pressure from the pitot tube, while the sealed instrument case receives static pressure

c) Indicated airspeed (IAS) is the uncorrected airspeed shown on the ASI dial

d) Calibrated airspeed (CAS) is IAC corrected for instrument and position errors; POH provides CAS for IAS with various flap and landing gear configurations

e) Equivalent air speed (EAS) is CAS corrected for compression of air in the pitot tube (same as CAS in standard atmosphere at sea level; less than CAS at higher altitudes and faster airspeeds)

f) True airspeed (TAS) is CAS corrected for nonstandard temperature and pressure

i) TAS = CAS in standard atmosphere at sea level
    ii) Some true airspeed indicators have temperature-compensated aneroid bellows
    iii) Others have a knob requiring pilot input to align outside air temperature (OAT) with pressure altitude so that TAS is then indicated
    Chperplt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2006, 04:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by antonotty
    what is the difference between the two and when an aircraft is flying at altitude what is its actual speed
    In english...

Indicated airspeed is the speed that is read off the airspeed indicator. True airspeed is indicated airspeed that is corrected for altitude (non standard pressure and temperature as we climb). As a general rule, true airspeed will increase about 2% for every 1000 feet of altitude above sea level.

Equivalent airspeed is an airspeed that has taken into account errors within the system due to the compression within the pitot tube. It's an airspeed that is never used in every day aviation.

As an aircraft climbs to the higher altitudes, the indicated airspeed decreases while the true airspeed will increase. For example, at 35,000 feet you may have an indicated airspeed of 260 knots, while the true airspeed can be 450 knots.
    kkaaaaaaaaaaaaa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2012, 12:06 AM
    Ha ha ha.
    KonaTom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2012, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chperplt View Post
    In english....

Indicated airspeed is the speed that is read off of the airspeed indicator. True airspeed is indicated airspeed that is corrected for altitude (non standard pressure and temperature as we climb). As a general rule, true airspeed will increase about 2% for every 1000 feet of altitude above sea level.

Equivalent airspeed is an airspeed that has taken into account errors within the system due to the compression within the pitot tube. It's an airspeed that is never used in every day aviation.

As an aircraft climbs to the higher altitudes, the indicated airspeed decreases while the true airspeed will increase. For example, at 35,000 feet you may have an indicated airspeed of 260 knots, while the true airspeed can be 450 knots.
    Good reply, Chperplt

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Speed [ 3 Answers ]

Ok before I start telling you the problem I'll have you know that I have : Learned sport Taekwondo for 4 years Learned brawl Taekwondo for 2 years Learned Ninjitsu for 1 year Worked out at the gym for 1 year Ok,the problem is that I am really big for my age,I'm 13 and a half years old and...

Speed Dating [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, It's me again, still looking for love. Speed dating! Your comments and advice are most welcome.

Speed Bag for Volleyball [ 0 Answers ]

Using a Speed Bag and Double End Bag could be helpful for Volleyball training. Both can be adusted up high and help the player with holding the hands up, rhythm, speed, timing and targeting a moving object close to the face. Just a few ideas to expand your training Speedbag put a little...

Blower Speed [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Las Vegas and my Electricity bill KILLS me in the summer months. I have talked with other people in my neighborhood with the same model home and my bill is double theirs. I tried to get the builder out here to look at my AC, and of course they do not respond. I am trying to find ways to...

Tsunami speed [ 0 Answers ]

I have read and heard that tsunamis are capble of moving across the ocean at up to 700 mph. Additionally, that the speeds correlate with the square root of the depth at which the earthquake occurred. This seems counterintuitive to me. Can anyone give me an explanation of why the relationships...

View more questions Search