Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JBerg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 03:11 PM
    401K Early Withdrawal & Non-resident Alien
    Hello,
    I have been living in the US since 1996. I am married to a US Citizen. We plan to move to my home country, Czech Republic, in 6 years (2013). I have less than 100K in my 401K account now, however, with my current contributions, I will likely have around 230K at 2013 (depending on the market, of course).
    I believe that after we move, my status will change to the non-resident alien. I will also be only 46 years old at that time and not eligible to withdraw without penalty until 59-1/2. What is the best way for me to utilize my 401K: 1) at the age of 46 and 2) without a tax penalty? I realize that I may not be able to enjoy both, just looking for the best option.

A separate question: If I chose to keep my money in the US 401K until the age of 59-1/2, can I then receive distributions being a non-resident alien? Or, do I need to roll the money over to another account?
    Thank you.
    Jarmila
    guran2 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 03:25 PM
    Lots of questions regarding k401 withdrawals. The answer is really straight forward.
    1) If you withdraw before age 59 1/2 there is always a 10% US withdrawal penalty.
    2) Whenever you withdraw, you pay full tax, either in the US or in your country of residency. You pay tax on the withdrawal, on top of any other income, in the country specified in the tax treaty between US and the other country.
    3) As a non resident alien, you are not entitled to any standard deduction so there is no taxfree amount.
    4) The 20% withholding and 10% penalty may mean that you in the worst case have to expend more in tax and withholding than the full amount withdrawn, so you actually owe money instead. The withholding may in this case be reimbursed after the double tax return, the year after withdrawal.

Consult a tax professional or risk a nasty surprise!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K early withdrawal by non-resident [ 18 Answers ]

Hello I was working in the US until July 1st of this year (and since 2003). Ever since I have been living and working in the UK. I had earned about $46000 gross in my previous company in the US in those 6 months. I have about $20000 in my 401K account. I was planning to transfer all my 401K...

401K early withdrawal [ 15 Answers ]

I have a 401K question about early withdrawel. Actually, let me give you a scenario: 401K balance - $28000.00 I have the understanding that 20% is immediately taken out for federal taxes with an early withdrawel, which would be in this case $5600.00, and that would make the distribution...

401K Early Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

My company was purchased by another company that has established a new 401K. I have not yet done anything with my previous 401K. I would like to take the cash from my previous 401K and pay off my son's school loan. If I use the money to pay of the education loan, I know I will have to pay taxes...

401K early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

I have been laid off due to a work injury. To survive I must cash in my 401k, but I am trying to avoid the early withdrawal penalty. I have not yet been declared disabled but am currently pursuing this. Our family taxable income is only 26,000.00. I am currently receiving workman's compensation...

401K Early Withdrawal Penalties? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello. I have a question about early withdrawal of my 401k due to changing employers. I am fully vested at my current company. I took a loan out from my 401k probably 6-8 months ago for personal reasons (not mortgage, etc.). Here are the details for that: I took out a loan of $2,868.01 and...

View more questions Search