Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oldraja Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Propane smell out of furnace exhaust pipe outside the house
    Hello.

Please help. When my furnace is running, I smell something similar to propane smell outside the house only (not inside). It happens when the furnace is either running or about to ignite the burners. I believe it is coming out of the exhaust pipe outside the house.. but not sure.

Thanks

Oct 27, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oldraja View Post
    Hello.

Please help. When my furnace is running, I smell something similar to propane smell outside the house only (not inside). It happens when the furnace is either running or about to ignite the burners. I believe it is coming out of the exhaust pipe outside the house..but not sure.

thanks
    Sorry it is not propane but natural gas.. everything else applies.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Call a furnace man. You shouldn't smell raw gas, propane or otherwise when a furnace is operating properly. And don't wait to have this checked out.

Oct 28, 2008, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
    Call a furnace man. You shouldn't smell raw gas, propane or otherwise when a furnace is operating properly. And don't wait to have this checked out.
    Thanks Missouri Bound.

Out of curiousity, is there supposed to be any sort of smell coming out of exhaust vent pipe.. not necessarily gas or anything... but just is it supposed to smell like something a little bit?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Propane furnace exhaust pipe black [ 6 Answers ]

Propane furnace not working right. Exhaust pipe out of house is black at the end. Does this mean a problem?

Propane smell in furnace exhaust [ 3 Answers ]

I have a strong propane smell in furnace exhaust. I do not smell it in the house, and can only smell it when the furnace is running and I am outside. Also, there seems to be a gurgling sound that I did not notice previously. Propane company said first there's probably not a problem and then...

Updating an exhaust pipe on my furnace [ 5 Answers ]

I'm updating an exhaust pipe on my furnace. Currently I have 4" steel exhaust pipe coming from my DUKANE MPGA075B3 (75.000 BTUs) (AFUE% = 80%) I would like to update it to "Thermoplastic Pipe" because it require a 0 clearance to combustion material. Few questions: Do I have to use a 4" pipe or I...

Furnace exhaust pipe length [ 1 Answers ]

The furnace exhaust pipe (2 inch PVC) currently comes straight out of the back of the house about one foot. Can a 45 degree elbow be added to the end to vent it either up or down without causing any problems? Also, does it need to extend out of the back of the house by a certain number of inches?

View more questions Search