Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shannahmarie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Bank Levy
    I had a bank account levied yesterday for $515.00. The creditor advised me that if I went and paid the balance in full, the levy would stop and the bank would release my money that was being held. I did pay it 100% in full last night and have proof of payment, and the creditor confirmed payment receipt. Now, today, the amount $515 was not only held in my account but now taken completely out. How soon will I get this back? The bank won't discuss it with me and tells me to talk to the creditor. The creditor is telling me that it is all up to the Sheriff, and the Sheriff is running behind. I am racking up NSF fees, and am afraid to put any more money in there for fear they will take more. I have an upcoming direct deposit in 3 days that I cannot stop. Should I open up a new account at a new bank? Please advise on what I should do...
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Apr 10, 2007, 09:00 PM
    Unfortunately it was in process and was pulled out "crossed in the mail" so to speak. YOu will have to wait or request the amount from the creditor as they will get it eventually.
    Levied your account? This means they filed through the courts and they would have sent you notice is was going to happen. Never ignore these things. The IRS can do the same, but they don't have to advise you. Good luck. I would say open another account with another bank.
    shannahmarie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 09:10 AM
    I paid the debt off already (see my original post). They don't need to pursue anything else, so I think I will try to open a new account at another bank until this all gets straightened out. Turns out, I can't deposit (or withdraw) anything anyway. I tried and was denied. I just hope they don't take my direct deposit on Friday in addition.
    herewegoagainmn Posts: 9, Reputation: 0
    -

Mar 28, 2008, 01:27 PM
    My simple suggestion to you would be to stop your direct deposit and request a printed check at least until you have your account straightened out.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by herewegoagainmn
    My simple suggestion to you would be to stop your direct deposit and request a printed check at least until you have your account straightened out.

The post is from April 2007.
    DanaPoint820 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Just for the record... in California (and I am assuming most other states too) they do not send you notice of a levy on your account until after the levy has taken place. A levy can be put in place the same day as it is filed with the courts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank levy [ 2 Answers ]

Can a bank levy last until the debt is paid? How does it affect your credit?

A Bank Levy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bank account and my mother was also added to this bank account. She is on Social Security. I just had a levy placed on my bank account because of her past credit issues. The company refuses to release my money and she refuses to pay. What can I do about this problem?

Bank Levy [ 3 Answers ]

I received a bank levy from a lawyer puttin my account as being overdrawn, had little funds in the account. It was all due to a unpaid credit card bill. The balance is calling for some 2800 and I only had a dollar in the account. I'm asking on opinions on how to go about this from here. Is there...

Bank levy in nj [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I live in New Jersey. My husband and I have joint bank accounts that were levied for a debt incurred long before I met him. I went to court and proved this money in the account was from his paycheck as I am not employed and although it seemed obvious to me that all was direct deposited...

Bank levy [ 1 Answers ]

My husband had a bank levy done where they took everything out of our acct. I was unaware of the money due. At this point, he has been disabled for 14 months and not working because the dr.'s said he cannot work. How do I contest this being it is my work money in the account. The sherrif's...

View more questions Search