Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rebbeccamann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 06:13 AM
    Does Partner have right to live in the house?
    Hello,

Myself and my boyfriend bought a house together 2 and a half years ago. My name was on the mortgage and both of our names were on the title.

We have now been separated for over a year. He will not co-operate in selling the house, but he will not contribute in helping to pay them ortage and bills either.

I no longer live there, but he still does.

My question is how do I get the debt off my name sell my house and get out of this situation. I have heard about a quit claim form but he will not co-operate to this. And I no longer what anything to do with this house.

Please help I am very confused on where to start:confused:
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2008, 06:26 AM
    You could deed the house over to him, but the problem is the mortgage. From what you said, you are the only one on that - making you the only one responsible for the debt.
    I would contact a real estate attorney and see what your recourse is.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 06:33 AM
    Hello rebecca:

You're stuck.

The bank isn't going to let you off the mortgage. There shouldn't be any other bills in your name, though... You can certainly have your name removed from the utility accounts. But not the house.

The only way out is for YOU to buy him out. Apparently, the house is headed for foreclosure. If you offer him some CASH in his pocket, he might make a deal with you.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2008, 08:56 AM
    You can also sue him to force a sale or to sell your share (by partitioning). I would consult a real estate attorney about either of those.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2008, 08:56 AM
    You can also sue him to force a sale or to sell your share (by partitioning). I would consult a real estate attorney about either of those.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend You Live With Sleeping Over At Friends House [ 3 Answers ]

What do you think?? Girlfriend you lived with for 7 months and been with for 2 years starts sleeping over at friends house. We are both in our 30's and I haven't had a sleep over sense JR High - High School. She has keeped all her friends to her self and won't let me meat them. In fact in 2 years...

My child's father has gone back to turky to live can my partner adopt him [ 1 Answers ]

My son is almost 4 years old his father is turkish and has never been bothered with my son since he was born, I've met a new man now and we have a child together and my boyfriend wants to adopt my son! I've recently found out that my sons father has gone back to turkey, he didn't tell us he was...

Can I make partner sell the house [ 2 Answers ]

I have just split from my partner, we have a mortgage together- joint tenants in common. I am continuing to pay my half of mortgage and bills even though I have moved to my parents- with our baby. I have moved out as the atmosphere is terrible, and my ex refuses to leave. Can I make him hurry and...

How to sell a house that my ex-partner is living in? [ 15 Answers ]

Hi there, I purchased a house a few years back with my ex-wife. We have two kids 12,13yrs and they still live in the house. Her name is on the deed, but only my name is on the mortgage. We were not married when we bought the house and I am currently remarried to another woman. How can I sell...

Selling House, wanting to get rid of roomate/partner of 8 years [ 2 Answers ]

I have been living with this significant other for 8 years and in 3 previous apartment I had threatened to leave twice. Each time tricked into staying. Now, at this persons persuasion, I have reluctantly found myself in a home in My name only, in Alabama. I have now had the things that caused me to...

View more questions Search