Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zuckie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2005, 10:52 AM
    Leaky Shut off valves
    Hi,

I live in the Northeast and for the first time this past winter, I actually used the shutoff valves that lead to my outside water spigots. Now that I've turned them back on, they are leaking whenever the water line is open.

I noticed they have nuts on the front... was I supposed to open or close them at some point? Have I ruined them somehow, or is this a coincidence? Do they need to be replaced or is there a fix?

If they need to be replaced, can I replace the whole line with PVC instead of copper? Is it easy/possible to attach a PVC line to a copper line? I also need to replace one of the outdoor spigots, because it won't turn off. (That's an old problem). I'm more comfortable working with PVC than copper.

Thanks for any help!!
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 18, 2005, 04:16 AM
    Are the valves located...
    Quote Originally Posted by zuckie
    Hi,

I live in the Northeast and for the first time this past winter, I actually used the shutoff valves that lead to my outside water spigots. Now that I've turned them back on, they are leaking whenever the water line is open.

I noticed they have nuts on the front...was I supposed to open or close them at some point? Have I ruined them somehow, or is this a coincidence? Do they need to be replaced or is there a fix?

If they need to be replaced, can I replace the whole line with PVC instead of copper? Is it easy/possible to attach a PVC line to a copper line? I also need to replace one of the outdoor spigots, because it won't turn off. (That's an old problem). I'm more comfortable working with PVC than copper.

Thanks for any help!!!
    ... indoors? You mention nuts... are you referring to the nuts behind the knob that the valve stem fits through? If so and if this is where it is leaking, you can simply fit an open end wrench on them and snug them up by turning them clockwise while viewing them from the front. Doesn't sound like they need replacing but converting to PVC is an option if it absolutely necessary.
    zuckie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2005, 11:31 AM
    The leaky shut-off valves are indoors... in the basement
    The "nuts" aren't really hex nuts, but little round metal knobs on the front of the shut-off (perpendicular to the shut off handle)... I think they might be for bleeding air out of the line?

Also... the water isn't leaking from the nuts...

Thanks for any help!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2005, 12:50 PM
    The round things are outlets to drain the water out of the line after shutting it off. Where is the water leaking? If it is coming up around the stem, tightening the nut a little should work. If you do decide to replace them, make sure you do not buy more like them, but ball valves instead. They are more quick and easier to use and leak less, both externally and internally

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Hose Valves [ 10 Answers ]

There are two 20 year old hose valves outside the house. Both leak, and one even has a busted handle that requires a vise grip every time we want to open and close the water flow. I would like to replace both without the expense of hiring a plumber. I think this is a job that even I can do.. ....

Plumbing Valves? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in the process of building a home and the builder ask me to pick out showerheads and faucets. I started to see that the showerheads says Transfer valve and/or thermostatic valve and/or volume valve was used. I'm not sure what these are and if I need them or not. Can someone please explain?...

Heat traps vs check valves [ 4 Answers ]

I have installed a check valve on the cold water inlet side of my water heater (it's a Voyager 100,000 BTU, combi heater-domestic and radiant heat). I am getting convective heat tranfer in the cold water line. I'm assuming the check valve (spring type) is not designed to prevent heat transfer. Are...

Zone valves [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for a wiring diagram for a new dunkirk boiler . Just the diagram for the 3 zone valves. Company says that the boiler transformer is enough to run three zones ( 24v) . Or do I need to add transformer. Just can't figure out the wiring from one zone valve to another. Contacts on each zone are...

Access to shut off valves [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is a code in sarasota fl that says you must have access to shut off valves in your tubs and if so what is that code and where can I get a copy. Thank you[ Manny

View more questions Search