Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    opcitandibid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Bleeding 3 months straight after depo shot 4 months ago
    The birth control shot I got was supposed to be good for 3 months. I got it 4 months ago, so I realize it should have worn off by now. Everything was fine for the 1st month, but for the past 3 MONTHS, I my vagina has continually been bleeding. After it had been doing this for 3 weeks I called to inquire about this, and the nurse said that it was just spotting. But it bleeds every day, sometimes a light flow, and sometimes heavy like a normal period. But it never stops, and is really annoying. Not painful or anything, it just shouldn't be bleeding when I am not on anything at all and have discontinued birth control completely and am on absolutely no medications. I thought it would end with the end of the depo(sp. ) shot's continuation, but it hasn't. I called recently and the nurse says I need to get it checked out. I see no point to this because I already know the cause of it and don't want my vagina probed by some stranger. What possible options would there be if I did go? What would they do about it? Will it ever stop? I also don't get how there is even enough tissue in there for such a long period of bleeding. Is this a common side effect? What good is it to get birth control at all if you don't want to have sex when its bleeding? That totally ruins even getting birth control at all. How could this be fixed?
    Klaipeda Posts: 203, Reputation: 2

Sep 26, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by opcitandibid
    the birth control shot i got was supposed to be good for 3 months. i got it 4 months ago, so i realize it should have worn off by now. everything was fine for the 1st month, but for the past 3 MONTHS, i my vagina has continually been bleeding. after it had been doing this for 3 weeks i called to inquire about this, and the nurse said that it was just spotting. but it bleeds every day, sometimes a light flow, and sometimes heavy like a normal period. but it never stops, and is really annoying. not painful or anything, it just shouldnt be bleeding when i am not on anything at all and have discontinued birth control completely and am on absolutely no medications. i thought it would end with the end of the depo(sp.?) shot's continuation, but it hasn't. i called recently and the nurse says i need to get it checked out. i see no point to this because i already know the cause of it and dont want my vagina probed by some stranger. what possible options would there be if i did go? what would they do about it? will it ever stop? i also dont get how there is even enough tissue in there for such a long period of bleeding. is this a common side effect? what good is it to get birth control at all if you dont want to have sex when its bleeding? that totally ruins even getting birth control at all. how could this be fixed?!
    Hi,
    I had exactly the same problem, after the first shot I was bleeding as you. I spoke to my gyne and he said every woman bleeds differently, but it's wery iportant to have shots every 3 months or the body to adjust and stop bleeding completely.
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Sep 27, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Hi there! I'm no health expert but I wanted to tell you that I had exactly the same issues with the depo shot. I bled every single day! Ugh. The doctor told me that it is very common for women to spot or bleed lightly through the first few shots. She said every woman's body acts a little differently to the shot. Some women lose their period all together. Some women, like me and you, spot for a while. Well after 3 of the depo shots (that's 9 months!) I was so fed up with the spotting that I just went back on the pill. This was 4 years ago. My period evened out tremendously! I still occasionally have spotting, but it's nothing like it was on the depo. I think I'm going to switch to a lower dose pill to see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by opcitandibid
    the nurse says i need to get it checked out. i see no point to this because i already know the cause of it and dont want my vagina probed by some stranger.
    The nurse is right, you do need to get checked out. It is crucial to a woman's health to get her annual or semi annual pelvic exams. If something is going on that is out of the norm, you really should get to the doctor and get checked out. I know it sucks to have someone "probing your vagina" but it's for the best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bleeding during sex... after depo shot [ 12 Answers ]

I have had bleeding during intercourse 2 times since going off depo provera, (which stopped my periods for over 2 years)... most of the time I don't bleed... but what could this mean? Is it a start of my periods return after depo? Or an infection non related to the drug? If you have taken this drug...

I just had a baby 6 months ago could I be pregnant again? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I am 21 years old I just had my first baby in April and it was a rough pregnancy I found out that I have an autoimmune diease which one is not clear yet we just know I clot easily. Anyhow I developed Preeclampsia in my 9th month of pregnancy and was induced 2 weeks before my due date. My...

Could I be pregnant 2 months after getting off the depo shot [ 2 Answers ]

I got my last depo shot in feb. 07 and didn't return for my May shot because the entire year that I was on the depo I bleed I got a period in June lasted 5 days and I had no regular bleeding for a couple days. The bleeding returned for about 2-3 weeks and stopped a week before I was suppose to get...

I am a Natural Blonde, but a few months ago [ 4 Answers ]

I dyed my hair dark auburn. But then last week i wanted to dye it back blonde so i put blonde dye in it and it stayed the same. So i bought a dye remover and it took the auburn hair color out but turned it a light light orange color. So i i dyed blonde over that. Turned even Oranger. So i had to...

View more questions Search