Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    The Mommie Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2012, 03:36 PM
    2001 Ford Escape 5 Speed 4 Cyl Zetech All Wheel Drive
    Shift cable broke. Replaced it. Gears seem to have switched places. Unable to put shifter into selected gear. Have to fight to find correct gear. Seems like 5th is in reverse position, etc. Replaced the cable bracket and it is still not working correctly. Going to burn out the clutch if can't fix the problem. Have been looking for technical service bulletins regarding this problem, to no avail. Any ideas?
    Thank you,
    Linda

Oct 31, 2012, 09:25 AM
    Forgot to add the if there are high gears, then there are no low gears.. I there are low gears, then there are no high gears... Thank you.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2012, 04:54 PM
    For involved transmission problems, like your's, it's best to take it to the dealer. It may be a failing concentric slave cylinder/throw-out bearing. It's located inside the transmission, which would have to be dropped for replacement. If the slave cylinder is replaced, have them completely change the hydraulic clutch fluid. Failure to change the clutch fluid every 2 years, greatly shortens its life. Personally, if they have to drop the transmission, I would replace the clutch/pressure plate, slave cylinder/throw-out bearing, and pilot bearing. You may luck out and it's just a cable adjustment. Without seeing the vehicle, this is a hard question to really answer.

Nov 1, 2012, 01:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    For involved transmission problems, like your's, it's best to take it to the dealer. It may be a failing concentric slave cylinder/throw-out bearing. It's located inside the transmission, which would have to be dropped for replacement. If the slave cylinder is replaced, have them completely change the hydraulic clutch fluid. Failure to change the clutch fluid every 2 years, greatly shortens its life. Personally, if they have to drop the transmission, I would replace the clutch/pressure plate, slave cylinder/throw-out bearing, and pilot bearing. You may luck out and it's just a cable adjustment. Without seeing the vehicle, this is a hard question to really answer.
    Thank you so much. I appreciate you taking the time to answer this for us. We will have to see how it goes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 ford escape doors won't open, Why? [ 10 Answers ]

Cannot open any doors on my 2001 ford escape, not with key, or electrically, handles will not operate, can only climb out window or back hatch, cannot get at interior of doors because can';t open them to work on them, has anyone a solution, or had this problem? HELP... trapped in my car!:(

Passenger door lock on ford escape 2001 [ 6 Answers ]

My suv does not have an entry key lock on the passenger door , why?

4 Wheel Drive on 2003 Power Stroke Ford PU 250 won't engage? [ 2 Answers ]

Have turned switch to 4W Drive High & turned hubs to lock position but 4W drive will not engage.

2002 Ford Escape with a low speed problem. [ 12 Answers ]

2002 Ford Escape V6 with 115,000 miles. It jumps or lopes at low speed only. Any ideas?

2001 Ford Escape - Electric door lock mystery [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2001 ford escape, it has electronic locks and it seems like they have a habit of locking/unlocking randomly, I'm guessing that they should automatically lock after I start driving the vehicle but sometimes they don't lock and then after awhile they do, this can happen in my driveway or at...

View more questions Search