Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jetterjet Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Residency for NC state income tax
    I purchased a house in North Carolina (NC) in June 2006 while living in Florida (FL) in a house I owned. Foreseeing that I would be moving in a couple of weeks, I changed my drivers license to NC in July because I had moved my auto insurance to NC when I bought the house (package deal on home/auto). Well things happened and I didn't get to move to NC until February 2007, all the time still living and working in FL.

For NC state income tax purposes for 2006, was I considered a part-year resident of NC even though I physically didn't move to NC until 2007 because I changed my DL to NC?

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2007, 09:58 PM
    No, your actual physical location and where you worked and lived dictates your tax liability, not a driver's license.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

KY State Income Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if an IRA Distribution amount taken in 2006 is taxable as income by the State of KY? Thanks.

NJ / PA State Income Tax [ 1 Answers ]

I moved to Pa from NJ on 01/06/2006. When I moved, I never changed my NJ state tax withholding with my employer until about November of 2006, simply because I did not think about it. Now I know I will owe Pa tax and should get most of my NJ witholding back, what tax forms do I need to file with...

What state would I pay income tax in? [ 1 Answers ]

If I worked in one state but lived in another, which one would I pay income tax in? Sates would prob be Vermont and New Hampshire, or MA and NH.

State taxes--source of income/residency [ 3 Answers ]

Hi So I was a student in NJ till last June (I'm still on F-1 from India), currently doing OPT in IL. I received a fellowship award to come work in IL for 11 months--the income was reported on 1099-MISC box 3. I'm filing as an independent contractor for my federal return. The non-profit that gave...

No state income tax [ 1 Answers ]

What other state besides Tennessee does not have a state income tax on individual earnings?

View more questions Search