Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    potter24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 06:05 PM
    Partial power outage
    At Any Given Time The Power Will Go Out Only In The Living Room (outlets, Fans, Lights Etc.) And Also A Couple Of The Outlets In The Kitchen That Include The Refrigerator, Stove And 2 Add'l Outlets, All Others Work. Also The Ac Goes Out. The Rest Of The House Works. We Have A Devise That Indicates Everything Is Fine When The Electric Is On But When It Goes Out It Reads "open Hot" Any Advise.
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Jan 8, 2007, 06:13 PM
    Can you check your breaker box and see if all the devices that you "lose" are on one side of the panel? It sounds to me as if you may be losing a "leg" of your service. This would more than likely be from a loose connection based on your explanation.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Yeah, losing one leg would kill all the 240 stuff except to the extent they ground through some of the 120 circuits on the dead leg. The open hot means no power to one of the 2 incoming hot wires. It is weird when you lose one leg.

Better call an electrician or the power company. The problem likely is at the main breaker or before, outside the DIY area.

As you go down the box, 1, 5, 9, etc. are on one leg, and 3, 7, 11, etc. are on the other. Thus 1 & 3 are on opposite legs often used with a double breaker.
    hay1280 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 05:41 AM
    I assume that circuit breakers are not tripping (or fuse blowing) so this must be a loose connection. This can be very dangerous since considerable heat can be generated by a poor connection and there is usually no automatic protection to disconnect the circuit. This could start a fire. It could be in the power supply to your home or the house wiring.

You should have an electrictian check things out. A clue to the location would be the smell of electrical insulation overheating... smell similar to a stalled electric motor or you drill motor when you work it too hard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car won't start, no click and no power to radio, power window or locks [ 6 Answers ]

After installing a new starter on a 1999 2WD Explorer it will not start. There is no click when trying to start it, its just dead, and the radio, power locks/windows, a/c, and dash light don't work but the interior lights work and so do the headlights. We've had the starter checked to make sure...

Electrical outlet outage [ 2 Answers ]

While watching TV last night the outlet went dead. It may have been overloaded. However, when I tested the outlet, the checker indicated that the Hot and ground were reversed. The circuit breaker looks good and I reset it for good measure. How do I go about solving this problem? Thanks, Lloyd.

Where's the partial clog? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, we're having a problem with a partial clog. When the washing machine empties, the back master bathroom toilet bubbles violently and we smell sewer gasses. There is a hall bathroom which is next to the laundry room, and that toilet's water will only waver and not bubble. However, most of the...

Partial Inheritance [ 3 Answers ]

I am the personal rep for my fathers estate. I heard that I can make an early partial distribution of inheritance as long as I have it documented and obtain reciepts from the beneficiaries. It would amount to half of the estimated estate value. The balance would come with the sale of the house...

Printer Problem - Power Outage [ 2 Answers ]

Good Afternoon, The company I work for recently had a power outage and one of our printers has a message on it. The message reads: Load file and execute. The printer is stuck here. I turn it on and off several times, replaced the jetdirect card and changed the memory. None of which helped. Has...

View more questions Search