Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    becca_roo92 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 10:03 PM
    What can I Do In My Situation?
    Okay well I'm 15, turning 16 in July. And I have been living with my aunt for the past few months. I do not live with either my mother or my father. Me and my mom do not get along in no kind of means. She is an alcoholic and when she gets drunk she takes it ALL out on me, saying I am the reason of her problems. When she drinks she does not only get emotionally abusive but physically as well. And as a 15 year old, it too much for me to bear. My parents got divorced when I was only 6 months old. So in my eyes they have never been together. And when they got divorced the judge announced my mom as the domacoratorial parent (or however you spell that word). Basically she has the right or say so over me. For my sweet sixteen I would like no presents from my family but only this one wish, to be released from their custody and to be able to start a new life by self. Without all the memories of alcoholism and the abuse that came with it. I'm not quite sure what the laws are of this in Louisiana. And just wondering, does it help the fact that I have been living with my aunt for the past few month? Someone please help me with this.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2008, 10:15 PM
    Thank goodness for your aunt and other angels that are willing to help others through the tough times. Just curious: do you have any brothers or sisters? While staying with your aunt, how far are you from your mother, distance wise? Do you know your father? How far away is he? Are you doing well in school? I believe life has a way of evening out the good and bad for all of us.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 10:24 PM
    If your mother will sign over her rights it is possible the courts will award custody to your aunt. But no it is doubtful that you can be emancipated at this point and time, no way to pay your own way.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by becca_roo92
    Okay well I'm 15, turning 16 in July. And I have been living with my aunt for the past few months. I do not live with either my mother or my father. Me and my mom do not get along in no kind of means. She is an alcoholic and when she gets drunk she takes it ALL out on me, saying I am the reason of her problems. When she drinks she does not only get emotionally abusive but physically as well. And as a 15 year old, it too much for me to bear. My parents got divorced when I was only 6 months old. So in my eyes they have never been together. And when they got divorced the judge announced my mom as the domacoratorial parent (or however you spell that word). Basically she has the right or say so over me. For my sweet sixteen I would like no presents from my family but only this one wish, to be released from their custody and to be able to start a new life by self. Without all the memories of alcoholism and the abuse that came with it. I'm not quite sure what the laws are of this in Louisiana. And just wondering, does it help the fact that i have been living with my aunt for the past few month?? Someone please help me with this.

Unless you can prove you are able to support yourself you cannot be emancipated.

On the personal side - and I know you aren't asking for any free advice - changing your location is not going to take away the bad memories and abuse. Do you see a counselor, is there someone at school you can talk to? Being alone, with no support system, not even your aunt, could make things worse.

Can you talk to your aunt? Sounds like she is not part of the problem and could be part of the solution.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Your best bet, and there are no guarantees, would be for your aunt to file a motion with the local Family Court for custody. Be prepared to present whatever evidence you can of your mother's alcoholism and abuse. Witnesses, if any, will be especially helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Very different situation [ 40 Answers ]

All right, so here's the full story. Me and my girlfriend have been together for just about 9 months. Would have been 9 on the 25th of September (started going out last Christmas) Saturday night, she called me up and said that since we couldn't be together that night that she was going to hang...

Serious situation [ 7 Answers ]

I don't like to admitt but I'm a little bit on the smaller side, is there anything out there that can help me?

Situation... [ 5 Answers ]

I have a situation. About 2 weeks ago I was on my last row of birth control pills which are the inactive pills. On my first day which is when I'm supposed to get my period I did not get it and instead I just got a brown discharge that lasted only for a few hours that day. Maybe 2 or 3 days after...

What to do about my situation [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 96 T/C Van with 137,000 miles and a V6 me and my wife and kids went to Ohio over the weekend and on the way back it just stopped running on the interstate.before I Had a upstream o2 sensor replaced by the crysler dealership and they said they ran a diag.test on it said everything is fine...

My situation [ 10 Answers ]

Hi Before marriage I was hving a affair with my uncle's daughter... but we couldn't make it up.. to marriage... and we departed in different way.. after 4 years I got married and she too got marreid... but now she is getting interest on me and asking me to take a trip with her to a hilly resort...

View more questions Search