Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tealikedays Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2016, 02:41 PM
    Asl interpretation college
    Hello, I'm going to college for sign language interpretation, I haven't decided what college I'm going to yet but is it normally required that I already know sign language? Thanks in advance ! :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 27, 2016, 04:57 PM
    That would be school by school issue. When you know what school you are interested in, call them and ask them their requirements.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 27, 2016, 05:29 PM
    Like Chuck said, that would depend on the school.

I will say that most people wanting to become interpreters, don't start learning the language in college, they start in grade school, or at the very least, high school.

College will make you fluent, but unless you have at least a basic understanding of that language, I can't see you learning enough in college to be a translator who had to be fluent, absolutely fluent, in that language.

But check around. If you have a gift for languages, then you should be okay. But most people can only learn a new language fluently if it's introduced to them from a young age, at least kindergarten onwards.

Good luck.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 27, 2016, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Like Chuck said, that would depend on the school.

I will say that most people wanting to become interpreters, don't start learning the language in college, they start in grade school, or at the very least, high school.

College will make you fluent, but unless you have at least a basic understanding of that language, I can't see you learning enough in college to be a translator who had to be fluent, absolutely fluent, in that language.

But check around. If you have a gift for languages, then you should be okay. But most people can only learn a new language fluently if it's introduced to them from a young age, at least kindergarten onwards.

Good luck.
    OP is inquiring about 'signing' which you don't learn in basic school, grade, college or otherwise. OP wants to learn how to talk to people who cant hear and can only 'sign' as in hand signing.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 27, 2016, 06:40 PM
    Any univeersity has courses in learning signing for the deaf or hearing impaired. No, you don't even have to have a basic understanding of 'signing' beforehand. For instance, Carleton Univserity in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, one of the largest, has a course in learning 'signing'.

I think it is great that you want to learn this benefit.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 28, 2016, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    OP is inquiring about 'signing' which you don't learn in basic school, grade, college or otherwise. OP wants to learn how to talk to people who cant hear and can only 'sign' as in hand signing.
    Yes, I know. I know what ASL is Tickle.

ASL takes years and years to learn, like any language, and there are courses you can take before college to learn ASL. I would say that ASL is even harder than most languages to learn, and yes, it is a language, even though it's not spoken.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 28, 2016, 09:15 PM
    I'd start by taking a few beginning classes at the junior college level. If you still want to continue on to a university, you can find out what additional courses you need for admittance at that time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asl a question free to a immigration lawyer [ 1 Answers ]

I came here when I was 15 and I went to high school then I got deported when I was 21 and I just got back 1 years ago. Do I still qualify for the new law.

Seneca College Vs Humber College(Computer Engg) [ 12 Answers ]

Hey All Guys I Need your Help in Choosing from Seneca College or Humber College . Please Evaluate your on Following Basis 1) Reputation(Most Important for me) 2) Fees(Not much Imp.) 3) Residence Availability 4) Quality of education System Answer ASAP

Can a college age student of a diabled parent receive help for college? [ 5 Answers ]

I am a fully disabled parent and wonder if my healthy 19 year old is eligible for financial assitance for college?

Three college kids traveling on a road trip before college and cross into russia [ 1 Answers ]

Three colege kids traveling on a road trip before they return to school cross the russian boarder and end up running from russian boarder patrol. They are wrongly accused of rape and murder of a young girl and are placed in a russian jail

College student w/o w-2 but can I file tax to get college tuition credits back? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a college student with no job income(no W-2 form) but do have few dollars of interest earned from saving account(1099-INT form). I know I do not have to file tax return since the income is extremely low. But I heard if I file tax return then I can get few hundreds of college tuition...

View more questions Search