Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blueyesrwild Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2003, 11:52 PM
    My guide me.com site won't work
    :-/ Can anyone tell me what can I do to find out why my guide me.com site won't work? I use the guide me.com chat through Yahoo and I keep getting the error page saying the page cannot be found and I may need to adjust my browser settings.. The main Yahoo site works fine for chat and the messenger chat works fine as well.. only the guide me chat through geocitites in Yahoo won't work.. I have changed all of the settings to accept cookies and the security and privacy levels on my computer are set to where they should be for the site. So I know its not that... I think! :-/ I have not changed anything or added anything new except the new java virtual machine (thinking that was the cause) but nothing has worked so far.. when the error page comes up it says something at the bottom of the page (where it shows the sites address and opening page and all that)about a system 32 error right before it shows the page that says... the page cannot be found. Or you may need to adjust your browsers settings.. I also get a privacy report sign at the bottom of the page (next to the internet world symbol) when I double click on it, it says cookies are blocked and due to my privacy settings the page cannot be shown.. BUT, my settings are fine and the cookies are not blocked, I don't have any sites in the area that you can block anything..? Could this be my IP address is blocking the site from working? And what can I do to find out what is the cause of this? I thought this had something to do with the recall on our HP hard drive but we have a new one in and the whole site does not work.. ( it is the only site that won't work for us) Also, I have accessed the site at the library and another location so I know the site is working good. Anyone have any help or ideas for us? I am going into serious chat withdrawl!! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Teresa "Blueyesrwild"
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jun 4, 2003, 05:41 PM
    It sounds from your error messages that you are using internet explorer.

I forget exactly where the command is, but somewhere in your cookie settings you should be able to select certain sites to always receive cookies from. Try adding the site, and see if iexplore realizes you want to allow the cookies.

If that doesn't work, try a different browser. :)

Hope this helps,
    ~psi42

Jun 5, 2003, 11:35 AM
    Thanks for the reply to my junk puter system!! LOL I have downloaded another browser but again there too the page won't load for the site and I also went in and added the guide me.com site to always allow and it doesn't work with that either.. Some one told me I may have a dot com worm and or something of the like.. but how do I find out if that is what is causing it? I just don't understand how one particular site stops working when all else works just fine... any ideas other than the new browser and always allowing cookies? Teresa blueyesrwild
    chirag_vp Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2003, 06:02 AM
    Hey you may try some BLACK MAGIC. It might work. ;)

Jun 6, 2003, 04:22 PM
    Hmm...

I suggest that you buy/download a Knoppix CD. Knoppix is a full linux operating system that you can run directly from the CD, without modifying your hard drive at all. The knoppix website is http://www.knoppix.net

Please note that there is no warranty or anything of the kind, so if something blows up or gets erased, you can't blame anyone. :D Just so you know.
    I run linux on three computers, and nothing has blown up. :)

Provided you have a compatible modem, you can boot from the knoppix CD, and try to access the web site, and see if it works.

I just noticed you said you got a system 32 error. Can you reproduce the error? If so, please send the exact error message. Don't panic, but a virus is definitely a possibility.

Hope this helps,
    ~psi42

Jun 6, 2003, 04:29 PM
    Wait a minute, what is guide me.com?? Is there anything that makes it different than other websites you have been able to access?

Have you been able to use your new java VM on other sites?

Jun 7, 2003, 03:50 PM
    Hey all you wonderful people trying to help me out with my system... thanks for all the great ideas so far... going to definitely check on the site that you gave me for the download to see if that works... I cannot so far reproduce the error message and if it does come up it flashes really fast as the search page comes up.. soo... no ideas yet.. O and guide me.com is just a spot that is my favoirte place to go.. I use it for chat because its really cool... and I also use it for my mail and well just about all I ever did was go there.. well till just recently.. all my friends miss the heck out of me as I them... needless to say my hotmail is full daily with... WHERE R U's? LOL.. Peeks out from under desk... ummm kay the black magic thing? Is that for real? LOL I will let you know if I can get the download to work.. heading to knoppix to check it out.. Thanks again!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heater won't work in auto [ 5 Answers ]

Whenever I turn my heater on in auto it will not come on. I have switched to Run and it comes on but only blows cool air. The pilot light is lit. The A/C works great so I have no idea what this might be, I read that it might be a relay but have no idea which one it is a ~17 yr old Trane unit so...

It won't work [ 2 Answers ]

My mp3 player uses napster and you hook it up and when I try to download it says no device detected Whys that

Husband won't work [ 8 Answers ]

My husband won't work right now either. He used to make a good salary. He has decided he is going to be a real estate agent. He has been one for 10 months and has contributed 4,000.00 to our expenses this year. We have financial responsibilities like two mortgages, cars, insurance, etc. and I have...

How does this site work  ? [ 2 Answers ]

Please explain , I ask a question , and how do I get the answer . Thank u Joseph21

My boss won't let me come back to work. [ 4 Answers ]

I've been off work for a month due to surgery,the doctor gave me a note saying I can return to work but on light duty for the first two weeks. My boss won't let me return to work until I am all better. I am a cashier and most of my work is light duty type work, the heavy stuff has been done by...

View more questions Search