Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkoontz1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2018, 08:58 AM
    Mystery toilet
    I have aplumbing mystery. How can a toilet withno water pressure in the pipe coming out of the wall during the day end up thenext morning with the toilet tank full? Let me explain. The situation is that during the day, withthe toilet shut off valve at the wall removed, there is no water coming out of thesupply pipe. However, when everything is reassembled, e.g., the shut off valveput back on the supply pipe and reconnected to the toilet valve assembly in thetoilet, the next morning the toilet tank is full. The problem affects onetoilet only and nothing else in the house. The problem started two weeks agoafter the main was shut down due to an irrigation leak. Does anyone have a plausible explanation?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 11, 2018, 11:04 AM
    Hi Jkoontz1

Not sure I see a mystery here...

When you shut off the water and remove the toilet shut off valve guts (?) there is no water coming out of the pipe, but when you reassemble the shutoff and water is turned back on the toilet tank fills, right? That sounds about right to me?

What am I missing?

Back to you...

Mark

Sep 11, 2018, 12:03 PM
    Yes, it refills but not during the day In other words, in the morning I can flush the toilet (because the tank is full) but after flushing it does not refill for the entire day as there is no water pressure from the wall pipe. But next morning the tank is full again. This repeats every day No pressure during the day but the toilet refills every night.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 11, 2018, 02:43 PM
    Shut water off to the pipe... remove guts from the shut off valve and then put a towel over the end of the shutoff and have a friend "pulse" the water supply on to FLUSH the water line. If water comes gushimng out of the shut off when the water is pulsed on then reinstall the guts to the shut off and replace the toilet fill valve as that will be the problem here.

Let me know what happens.

Sep 11, 2018, 03:27 PM
    Thanks, unfortunately I have removed the shut off valve completely. It is clear of any debris. The only thing that is coming out of the wall is the pipe itself, and there is no water coming from the source pipe when the main is on and the rest of the house is working normally. However, strange as it sounds, if I reinstall the shut off valve to the pipe and reconnect it to the toilet, some time during the night it refills the toilet tank. So far it is a mystery I am a able to resolve.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 11, 2018, 06:10 PM
    Hi again.

When you removed the guts from the shut off valve did you turn the water on to clear the pipe as I suggested? Even if the shutoff valve looks cleared when guts are removed, you need to confirm water flow as I suggested in my last post. Please do as advised or post back confirming that you pulsed the water on while the guts were out. Did you get water flow when water pulsed on and shut off covered with towel?

If you have indeed done as suggested then there is only one explanation here. There must be a clogged shutoff valve or an obstruction in the water feed between the main water supply and the toilet, right?

Back to you...

Sep 11, 2018, 06:29 PM
    Yes, I did exactly what you suggested. But to no avail. I agree that the logical solution would be an clogged shutoff valve or an obstruction in the line between the main and this particular toilet. However, I have cleaned and subsequently replaced the shutoff valve, and if there is a bstruction in the line, why does the toilet fill completely in the middle of the night.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 11, 2018, 06:33 PM
    Obstruction is exactly that... an obstruction (blockage). Water flow may be cut off but not completely disconnected, right?

If this is as difficult as it sounds you may want to run a new PEX (thermoplastic) water line from a known, working water line to the shutoff valve feeding the toilet and just be done with this. If you use SHARKBITE (or gatorbite) push on fittings it shouldn't take very long to accomplish.

Sep 11, 2018, 09:24 PM
    Yes, I do believe you are right. I want to thank you for taking the time to help me figure this out!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Toilet Tank Leak Mystery [ 11 Answers ]

So our toilet tank is leaking- causing it to refillevery 30-60 minutes. So, I did a dye test, indeed it showed int eh bowl, manening a flapper/seal leak, right? So, I turned off the water overnight (to see if the leak was indeed at the flapper level or beneath it- between tank and seat). ...

Mystery toilet [ 7 Answers ]

I came home and there was a used lady product in the toilet. The toilet is turned off cause it runs constantly so it isn't being used. Is there a plumbing explanation for this or was someone in my house?

Mystery bug [ 4 Answers ]

We have a bug that keeps showing up. I have searched bug sites but I cannot figure out what it is, or where they are coming from, or how to get rid of them They are 6 legged, cream/tan, with antenna. They are about a 1/2 inch long and usually just sit on the wall or ceiling, but they can go pretty...

Mystery toilet clog [ 15 Answers ]

A while back, I had to snake out the main drain pipe to the sewer and have since had no draining problems, however last night, one of the two toilets overflowed when my roommate tried to flush it in the middle of the night. She says she didn't put anything odd in there, just got up in the middle...

View more questions Search