Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Akeginu Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2009, 06:16 PM
    How do I word it so that it doesn't seem like I'm quitting?
    Here is the situation.
    I was working full-time at an animal hospital for about 2 years now. I recently started classes and I could no longer work Tuesdays and Thursdays ALL DAY, but I could still work (if need be, 8 -1PM). They changed my schedule to working Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
    A few months later, they changed my schedule to ONLY working Mondays and Fridays.
    They announced recently that they would be cutting everyone's hours because the hospital was not as busy as they were before, but they hired someone new a few days prior to that (Funny isn't it?).

The practice manager called me this Thursday, and told me not to come in on Friday. She told me to go in on Monday and that we needed to talk about my schedule, and my "future" there. She mentioned stuff about the economy being bad, and that she had to cut a lot of people's hours. My co-workers already gave me a heads up and told me that I wasn't on the posted schedules, and that she announced that I was going to be "in-active".

So I pretty much know she is planning on laying me off. I want to collect unemployment. I'm sure she'll try to "soften" the blow by offering to call me whenever they need me. I have bills to pay, and I just can't sit around and wait for them to call me in.
    However, I'm guessing that I'll have to word it a specific way so that it won't seem that I'm QUITTING, and then be ineligible to receive unemployment.

Being on call with no income is basically like not having a job at all. I've never collected unemployment and I'm confused about this. If I decline her offer to have me on call, would that be used against me, and will they say that I was the one who quit?
    Help!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 07:11 PM

You can not refuse to come in if they offer you work, but to be honest if they were planing on doing that, you would be on a scheule, There is something or somereason,

Merely smile and agree and go file for unemployment, if they offer you a day now and then you have to work it, or you could lose your unemployment.
    Akeginu Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2009, 07:40 PM

We'll considering the person she is, she will just say "Well, i can call you if we ever need you", and then never call me back.So are you saying that being "on-call" doesn't count as employment? As long as I don't have set schedule I can say that I'm unemployed?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 08:08 PM

You are being laid off, you can file, if they object, you appeal for a hearing,
    To not be laid off they have to give you a work schedule.
    The othe thing you can work a day or so and still collect after that you may lose some of the unemployment if you earn too much, but ifyou work one day, you can still even collect if you are laid off form a full time.

This is the catch, you are starting school, often you can't collect if you are going to school.

But all you can do is file and see what happens

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Possible defamation after quitting a job [ 1 Answers ]

I recently left a job in home improvement sales as the economy was effecting my take home pay (100 % commission) I had to find a more stable salaried job and I did. So I quit and asked the company for back pay they owed me which they did not like but they paid. I just recently heard from a...

Quitting smoking [ 5 Answers ]

I have quit smoking 6 weeks ago and now have severe night sweats, every night. Is this normal? Thank you

Husband is Quitting! [ 1 Answers ]

Because of peer pressure, my husband started smoking at 15, and he is 20 years old now. He tried to quit before, and it lasted a few months before he started again because of yet again friends saying "oh, just have one with us" or somking around him and making him crave it really bad. He has a...

Quitting tobacco [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, one of my friend was addicted of chewing tobacco from last 10 years, one day he got pain so he leave his habit after leaving tobacco he got ulcer in whole mouth tongue and throat, doctor told him it's a withdrawl effect but that after taking medicine all ulcers decreasing day by day. But at...

View more questions Search