Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherwyn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 03:33 AM
    Probation transfer from WI.
    My friend was living in Tennessee and got a little behind on his child support after 22 years of paying religiously, and was extradited to Wisconsin and spent a year in jail there. They let him out with time served and one year's probation almost 2 months ago. He has been trying to get transferred back home ever since, and his PO just keeps putting him off. He also became medically:confused: disabled while in jail because they withheld arthritis medication he needed. They have him living in a shelter there, and he wants to comply with the laws, but he also wants to come home. Is it legal for them to deny or stall his transfer to keep him in Wisconsin against his will? Is there any other action he can take to obtain his transfer back to TN.
    trueblooe Posts: 31, Reputation: -9

Sep 11, 2007, 03:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwyn
    My friend was living in Tennessee and got a little behind on his child support after 22 years of paying religiously, and was extradited to Wisconsin and spent a year in jail there. They let him out with time served and one year's probation almost 2 months ago. He has been trying to get transferred back home ever since, and his PO just keeps putting him off. He also became medically:confused: disabled while in jail because they withheld arthritis medication he needed. They have him living in a shelter there, and he wants to comply with the laws, but he also wants to come home. Is it legal for them to deny or stall his transfer to keep him in Wisconsin against his will? Is there any other action he can take to obtain his transfer back to TN.?
    Save up the pennies and see a lawyer
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2007, 05:33 AM
    Hello s:

This is what I have posted on the matter previously:

---------------------------------------

Ask your PO to supply you with the WRITTEN policy and procedures manual for his department. In it, you should find a paragraph about transferring probation. By asking about this document, he'll know that you want to transfer, so he's not going to be surprised when he receives your request. This whole thing is about avoiding surprises.

Next; don't go yourself, but get a job and a place to live in the other state. Write the probation agency that will be doing your supervision. Introduce yourself. Tell them about your job, and your place to live. Tell them about your crime and how sorry you are. Tell them that you are about to request a transfer, and wanted to give them a heads up.

Then, make your request in writing to your present PO. Having read the rules, you'll KNOW that you meet the criteria. Therefore, in your application, DON'T ASK!! TELL them that you meet the criteria for transfer according to rule such and such... cite the rule.

A request formed in that manner will be awfully hard to turn down. If it IS turned down, you've got your ducks all lined up for an appeal.

This procedure works equally well for both federal and state probation.

excon
    sherwyn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 09:00 PM
    Thanks Trublooue, good idea but he already has a PD supposedly trying to help him... :confused:

And Ex-Con, thank you too... I think he's already past most of the info in your note, with the exception of writing Tenn. He won't be getting a job here due to the disability caused from medical neglect while in jail, but he does have a permanent address and "peoples" here that care for and will help him... Not much we can do to help him while he is being held in Wisconsin... They are keeping him in a shelter there, when he has a home to come to... They are requiring that he gets his disability while there before transfer, and I'm sure you know how long that will take even if they do "rush" it... was just looking for anything else to speed the process... thnx again:o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transfer of probation [ 16 Answers ]

How long will it take to transfer my probation from Michigan to dallas Texas I was put on probation for 12 months on a larceny in building charge that was knock down to a entry without permission charge. The department of correction or my "probation officer" requested that I do 90 days in jail if I...

Probation transfer [ 2 Answers ]

My brother got a 1 yr. probation sentence from a dui while living in orlando.he has lived there 2 yrs. He wanted to move back to Massachusetts but they say he has to stay in Florida until his probation is over. However w/no license to work he can't pay rent. His entire family is here in...

Probation transfer [ 4 Answers ]

What's up whoever is reading this. Answer only if you know about probation tranfers.I have a friend who on probation in n.y. and in n.j. he really lives in n.j.. But n.y. thinks he lives at his aunts house in n.y.. See when he was arrested for the charge in n.y.. he had a case already pending in...

Probation transfer [ 1 Answers ]

What is the estimated fee for probation transfer

Probation transfer from AZ to CA [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: My brother has unsupervised probation in Mohave County AZ and he would like to have it transferred to San Diego County. He will be moving out here and living with me. How do we go about making this happen? And how long does it usually take?

View more questions Search