Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CONEAL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2008, 06:32 PM
    In Nashville, TN can a spouse be held liable towrd husband's debt/judgement?
    I gave a man $1500 to buy my daughter a car at an auction and he did not get the car, nor did he give me my money back. I took him to court and the judge said he had 10 days to pay me... which he did not show up in court (he called to get the outcome), and he still has not given me my money! The judge said if he does not pay me my money he will put a lien/levy on his property or vehicle(s) because he has a detail business and not a steady job.

Well, everything he owns is in his wife's name, and the general session's clerk said they can not put a lien on the property/cars because it is under his wife's name. I know, or at least I thought, that the laws were written for innocent citizens, not for criminals to become "successful" in their profession!

Does the marital interest plays a part in paying a debt?. I know if a husband owes toward child-support the wife's refund is collected toward the debt!

Seekin your knowledge.

Thanks

CONEAL
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Well actually no a wife's refund is not keep for child supoprt, not if the wife files an injured spouse filing, she will still get her share of the refund.

But no, in most states you can not attach the wife's property,

Now assuming you are rich enough, and can prove that the property was really bought by his money. Of get a garnishment of his pay.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CONEAL
    I gave a man $1500 to buy my daughter a car at an auction and he did not get the car, nor did he give me my money back. I took him to court and the judge said he had 10 days to pay me...which he did not show up in court (he called to get the outcome), and he still has not given me my money! The judge said if he does not pay me my money he will put a lien/levy on his property or vehicle(s) because he has a detail business and not a steady job.

Well, everything he owns is in his wife's name, and the general session’s clerk said they can not put a lien on the property/cars because it is under his wife's name. I know, or at least I thought, that the laws were written for innocent citizens, not for criminals to become "successful" in their profession!

Does the marital interest plays a part in paying a debt? ... I know if a husband owes toward child-support the wife's refund is collected toward the debt!

Seekin your knowledge.

Thanks

CONEAL

No, your Judgment is against him, not against her. You cannot collect from her.

Child support is family court; your judgment is in civil court - two different things AND the wife's refund check (assuming you are talking about IRS) is not an automatic forfeit for child support.

And, yes, the easy part is the Judgment. The hard part is collecting on the Judgment. Lots of business people shield their assets by having a business in one party's name and the assets in another.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband's Old Credit Card Debt Judgement? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband had a $10,000 credit card debt that occurred some time before we got married. We have been married for 10 years. I did not know this when we got married, but just afterwards I found out he had bad credit. Therefore I kept our checking accounts separate and bought the house by myself...

Texas - CC Judgement Can They Put Judgement Against Husband's Property only his name [ 1 Answers ]

Have been sent a summons and contacted attorney. While discussing lump sum settlement they hung up and said they would see me in court. I have tried to call back with no response. Can the judgement in court be put against property that is only in my husbands name?

Can you be held liable for land rent with no agreement [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone hold your property for failure to pay rent when there was never no type of agreement? What happened is I evicted someone out of a mobile home. The girl lives with property owner and was using my mobile home for storage. Well the property owner said he would let me rent the land and...

Can a spouse be held responsible for debt? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a really old Capital One account that is threatening to sue me. I have been unemployed for the last year to take care of some family matters. I know that they can sue me but I'm curious to know if they do and win, can my husband be required to repay the debt? I have no income of my own and...

Could my neighbor be held liable due to negligence. [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Could my neighbor be held liable due to negligence if we ask him to trim his tree significantly because this is a tree that has been growing out of control, the branches are very long and numerous to the point that this tree has been leaning over towards our townhouse as time goes by. ...

View more questions Search