Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djk1600 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2006, 12:33 PM
    Deeding your home back to the bank
    If a senior citizen is forced to deed his/her house back to the bank, will that affect the senior citizen's credit rating?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 25, 2006, 01:09 PM
    The only way this would happen is if the mortgage was past due. So the lone would be considered defaulted.

Aug 25, 2006, 01:22 PM
    So if my mother is current on her payments, goes to the bank and tells them she cannot afford the payments anymore due to the death of my step-dad, she deeds the mortgage back to the bank, she can walk away from the house, free and clear, and go rent a little affordable apartment for herself?
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Aug 25, 2006, 01:35 PM
    First - it is called a deed in lieu of foreclosure so the foreclosure process needs to have been started; and

Second - the bank has to accept the deed.

Yes, owner's credit will be effected.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Aug 25, 2006, 02:04 PM
    First check the value of the property to see if it could be sold, giving your mom some cash proceeds. If the property is worth less than is owed on the loan, the bank might consider a "short sale", where it will settle for less than the full debt. I am familiar with "deed in lieu of foreclosure", in which the lender agrees to take back the property, and thereby save the added cost and time for a judicial foreclosure (on a realty mortgage) or trustee sale (where the note is secured by a deed of trust). The lender is under no obligation to accept a "deed in lieu". Also I believe that one of the requirements for a "deed in lieu" is that the loan must be in default. A "deed in lieu" will have the same adverse affect on a person's credit as a foreclosure. I think that you and your mom need to consult a good real estate attorney if you wish to pursue this course of action. There are too many factors involved to do this on a wing and a prayer. Good luck.

Aug 25, 2006, 02:13 PM
    We already discovered through a realestate assessment that the house would probably not sale for profit because of the high mortgage, closing costs, pending assessments, and the way the market has flipped. She is not delinquent on her payments but will be forced to be if we cannot resolve this soon. We are trying to avoid lawyer fees as she has a very limited savings account and many more medical bills to pay from my step dads illness and eventual death. Thanks for all your answers and advice!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2006, 03:42 PM
    Hello djk:

A real estate assessment is NOT an evaluation!! The property could be worth MUCH more than that. MUCH MORE!

I understand that you are trying to avoid lawyers fees. Sometimes, there are legal matters that CAN be handled without an attorney. Then there are times when they CAN'T be. Smart people know the difference.

This is one of those time when you need a lawyer. What you are about to do could cost your mother a great deal MORE than the cost of a lawyer. I suggest that these matters are way beyond your ability to do them on your own. Frankly, I think you owe your mother the duty to do everything you can to help. If you try anything by yourself, you're screwing your mom.

excon
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Aug 25, 2006, 04:44 PM
    At this point there is nothing to lose by talking to the bank. You will probably want to speak with someone in their loss mitigation department. If they agree to work something out, be sure to get in writing their promise not to pursue your mom for any deficiency. Let us know what happens.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 25, 2006, 05:57 PM
    How old is this mortgage? Most banks do not write mortgages that don't leave some equity. As excon pointed out, an assessment is not an appraisal. You need to speak to a real estate agent and a attorney.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Aug 26, 2006, 05:05 AM
    If the real estate assessment is NOT just the tax roll value, you may be well suited to talk to a Realtor about the sales prospect AND the bank about "give back options".

In many states, the tax assessment is a valid figure of the market price; however, some states like CA, the actual assessment is NOT related to the market value.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low cold water pressure in 2 showers... Not back to back config however [ 8 Answers ]

My home is 16 years old, I've had it for 5 years. I am on a pump - with 70LBS high cutoff and 55lbs Low turn on. All copper - I have 2 Delta 1600 shower faucets - one tub spicket with shower diverter - one shower only. The tub/shower combo has allways had only a trickle of cold water and...

Need to Deed a House back to the bank [ 5 Answers ]

I currently own 2 properties and I need to sell one of them. It is a condo in Howell MI. We have tired everything to try and sell the property from paying closing costs to increasing the commission for the agents selling or buying the property. We have run out of ideas and money and now we need to...

How do I buy a cheap forclosed or bank owned home? [ 3 Answers ]

I need help my husband and I are just starting to look for a house in the area and we wanted to look at foreclosed and bank owned first. How do we go about looking at them and even buying them? We live in Kentucky and I don't know what the rules are about this if anybody knows please help......

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

Will he come back home? [ 2 Answers ]

My b/f and I live together since June of 04. He came from az, Im in Canada. He left in aug to take care of business there, and since then I have not heard from him(5months). I know he is staying with friends. WIll I hear from him soon? Or will I ever hear from him again? All was OK when he left...

View more questions Search