Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mawthook Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 06:03 AM
    Bright light in sky March 26, 2009 12:25 AM
    I saw a very bright streaking light in the south (south/ southwest) sky early this morning at about 12:25 am. I am located in central Nova Scotia. It was much larger and much brighter than a shooting star. It was larger enough and bright enough to catch my attention through my french doors in my bedroom while I was watching TV. Did anyone else see it and can you tell me what it was?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 26, 2009, 07:01 AM

Can you describe how fast it was moving? Also, when you say it was "much brighter than a shooting star" are you saying that you don't believe it could have been a meteor? Why not?
    Mawthook Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 09:19 AM

It was only visible for about a second through the small visible portion of the sky that I could see through the french door; very small window of visibility. My bedroom was lit only by the TV but it was bright enough to catch my attention while my eyes were on the TV. The door is about 7 feet away from the TV. I suppose it could have been a meteor but it was larger, brighter and probably slower than any shooting star I've ever seen before but I'm not expertly experienced in meteor sighting. I'm used to shooting stars being tiny points of light streaking across the sky very quickly. This was not like that.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2009, 01:54 PM

Meteors can be fairly bright

Absolutely breathtaking
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 06:40 PM

A big bright shooting star is called a bolide.
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

How slow it seems depends on the angle it's coming in at compared to where you are standing. So if it's coming almost straight down towards you, it will look fast and short. If it's going across the sky at more of a right angle it might last a lot longer.

Another possibility, depending on where you live, is some rocket part reentering the atmosphere. I've seen Vandenberg rockets taking off and one time a Russian rocket reentering. Spectacular!
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Mar 27, 2009, 02:49 PM

Even the speed across the sky can be faster or slower depending on whether the meteor is running into the earth from behind , from the side or from the front as the earth is moving around its orbit. Obviously two object running into each other from opposite directions will have greater relative speeds than two object moving in the same direction but at different speeds.
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 03:06 PM

Ah! FlyYakker, You are right. I knew I was forgetting something important about apparent speed. It was nagging at me.
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2009, 11:39 AM

Any possibility that Mawthook saw this rocket launch?

The Sky This Week 3/26/09

Thursday, March 26

Soyuz TMA-14 with three crew members aboard are scheduled to launch from the Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan, at 6:49 a.m. on a mission to the International Space Station.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Apr 6, 2009, 04:20 AM

Asking, I doubt it. Kazakhastan a very long distance away and the Soyuz would have been headed East as well. There is also a eleven hour (give or take) time zone difference so the times don't really match, even without the within-the hour 25 minute difference. Most likely your bolide theory, or simply a honking big meteorite fit the bill.
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Aug 15, 2009, 04:10 AM

In addition to all of the above, most people don't seem to be aware that tons of matter from space falls on the Earth every day. Seeing something like that might not be as unusual as people think. When I worked for NASA, I was showing some kids around the Visitors' Center at Goddard when one of them asked about the moon rock we had there at that time from some of the Apollo missions. The kid asked me, "Can I see some of that stuff that came from space?" Sure, I said, and picked up a handfull of gravel from the sidewalk. I told the kid a truism that many forget-every grain of sand and drop of water on this planet fell from space at one time or another...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brown Discharge and Then Bright Red Light Bleeding [ 11 Answers ]

My name is Emma and I am 21 soon to be 22. I am married and my husband works offshore... 7 and 7... I have been experiencing some health issues the past 6 months that has never been problems before. Yesterday I went to use the restroom and I noticed a odorless brown-like discharge on my panties. ...

Harbor Breeze fan and light, light is not bright [ 5 Answers ]

We installed (actually my Dad installed) a new Harbor Breeze fan with light about 9 months ago. It's connected to a remote. The fan works great, but the light stopped working. I found it needed a new bulb and when installing the new bulb, the light is extremely dim when turned on. It doesn't...

6yr old seeing bright light - then dizzyness, fainting [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, My six year old boy just complained of seeing a bright light, then feeling dizzy, like he was going to faint. Got a call from his school nurse. He is OK now - but episode is unusual for him. He is in school @ 11:15 am - in his classroom. He had a regular breakfast today at 8 am. No...

Hampton Bay light dimmer stuck on half bright [ 1 Answers ]

Hampton Bay model AC-552, s/n 001364 w/light and remote The remote controls the fan functions OK, and turns the light ON-OFF but light dimmer doesn't adjust and the lights stay at 'half bright'. It had one fluorescent bulb in it for awhile, which I think messed up the dimmer control.

View more questions Search