Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rbonelli9244 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2015, 09:48 AM
    Do I have to shut the main to fix a washer in the bathroom sink? The shut off valve
    I cannot shut the hot water valve in bathroom sink and I need to replace the washer it is dripping. Do I have to shut the main?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2015, 11:43 AM
    If you can't turn off the angle stop then, close the Cold Water shut off to the HW heater, open a faucet and it should not run. To be real safe turn off the main gate valve where water comes into the house or, if allowed, turn it off at the water meter.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 8, 2015, 11:45 AM
    If it is Deck Mounted Faucet than you should have hot and cold angles stop (valves) under the sink, inside the cabinet. You close them and you can work on your faucet w/o shutting off main water valve. If it is a Wall Hung faucet than you have to shut off main water valve for whole house.

Milo
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 8, 2015, 11:46 AM
    Hi Rbonelli

If the faucet has two handles, you can either shut off the water main, or, if you have a water heater or tankless water heating unit, you can shut off the cold water shut off valve into them and that will shut off the hot water ONLY. If it is a single handle faucet, shut off the water main!

Mark

Wow guys, we all posted at the same time! Slow day for all??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you fix a cloged cold water shut off valve under the sink [ 1 Answers ]

I'm getting hot water, but not cold. Both valves are open, but I think the valve is clogged . How do you unclogged a shut off valve.

Bathroom sink shut off valve [ 2 Answers ]

I want to change the taps in my bathroom, however, the valve will not open. I've tried most sprays that say they will open them but no results as yet. Any ideas?

Bathroom sink shut off valve [ 3 Answers ]

I have a leaking shut off valve on what I think is a compression vavle. It looks like it is a threaded valve but when I tried to remove it by turnning the nut it doesn't seem to be coming off, just keeps turning. The leak is by the nut, not by the stem or connector. How do I remove the compression...

No Shut Off Valve between water heater and bathroom sink valve [ 14 Answers ]

I have a constant drip in my bathroom sink. After a little trouble shooting, I came to the conclusion that my hot water valve underneath the sink is the culprit. I traced the pipe down the wall, into the basement and to the water heater. The only thing between the water heater and the old valve in...

Replacing bathroom sink shut off valve [ 3 Answers ]

The shut off valve for the bathroom sink is really old and can not be turned off. The bathroom remodel will take awhile so I can't go that long without water in the whole house. What is needed to replace the existing shut off valve so that we can remove the old sink and continue work on the...

View more questions Search