Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mapalmer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2013, 03:58 PM
    Brand new fish tank smells
    I bought my daughter the Glofish tank set and 3 glofish. No more than one day after we set it up, the tank had a foul odor... so I re cleaned the entire tank only to have it smell just as bad a couple hours later...
    Cannot figure out why it is stinking and really do not want to have to change the water on a daily basis... because of what it can do to the poor fish and the inconvenience that it brings...
    If anyone has any advice, we'd greatly appreciate it!

Thank You!!
    flitabout Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2013, 02:21 PM
    What kind of filters are you running? Have your added beneficial bacteria? Did you let the tank cycle before you added the fish? I would start there. Past those questions I have never heard of a tank even with goldfish in it smelling that bad that fast.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 3, 2013, 04:38 PM
    How big is the tank and what kind of filters are you using? Sounds like it is too small for 3 goldfish and the filter is not sufficient. Goldfish are messy... they foul the water fairly quickly.
    mapalmer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2013, 05:57 AM
    It was a day before I bought the fish so the tank did cycle... it is a three gallon tank that came with filter. I finally changed the rocks and filter again and I removed a neon car statue that was in the tank. It has a normal fishy smell now and not the putrid one. Thank You for all the advice!!
    DrGuy Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2013, 04:40 AM
    The cycling process takes longer than a day- usually more in the 4 to 6 weeks range. You need to keep an eye on the water quality until it finishes since you'll be doing a fish in cycle it seems. As to why ti would start stinking so quickly? Best guess is overfeeding. If the tank isn't cycled the food will make a mess of things pretty quickly.

fish in cycle

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What Fish Would You recommend I Buy For My Cichlid Fish Tank? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 26 gallon cichlid fish tank. I am looking to buy more fish. So far I have 2 red blood parrot fish, 1 black knife fish, and 2 snails. I know I can't have many fish since cichlids are territorial, but what fish would you recommend to buy? Thanks!

I have a 20 gallon fish tank and my fish are dying [ 6 Answers ]

I got a fish tank and evrything was good and my fish were having fish, and I just added water to the fish tank and just 2 days ago I notes that every time that I check my fish tank there are a lot of fish dead I want to know why?

Fish tank smells [ 8 Answers ]

Bought my 9 yr old a 3 gal. fish tank has a cool filtering system - different from when I was a kid and had fish. Anyway we ran it for 24 hours like instructed, the man from the pet sotre had me add Aqua Safe to the tank. We added fish 24 hours later like he said. One fish and the algae eater...

Fish are dying. Again in fish tank. [ 3 Answers ]

Ph is high in this, the second try. All my fish died a few weeks ago, over night. Cleaned out tank and have introduced a few new fish. Now they have began to die. The ph is high, and I am trying to bring it down using peat moss this time. I have a coral rock in the tank. Could this be a problem...

View more questions Search