Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nightgasm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2009, 11:29 PM
    Social Security disability,unemployment and social security
    I got approved for ssdi but got disapproved for ssi because my unemployment can I later get ssi after my unemployment is finished?:(
    DisabledinMD Posts: 68, Reputation: 0

Oct 16, 2009, 01:25 AM

You can only get SSI if the total amount you are awarded for SSDI, is below the full benefit amount for SSI ($674). I assume this is your case? If your unemployment and SSDI put you over the maximum benefit amount for SSI, you can't get SSI. When your unemployment ceases, and if SSDI pays you less than the maximum for SSI, SSA will pay you the difference in SSI benefits.

Be sure to apply for SSI benefits at least 3 months before your unemployment ends, so they will have time to process your application. Be sure to inform them of the date your unemployment benefits end. You can apply after the benefits end, but you will be without that additional income you get, until the SSI starts, plus the retroactive pay from when unemployment ends and SSI is approved.

PS While waiting the 2 years for Medicare, if you are uninsured, most states have Primary or Physicians Care services. You get basic medical care at the county Health Dept Clinic, plus a pharmacy discount card. Some doctors will accept PC cards for treatment. Check with your local Social Services and/or Health Department to apply.
    mysticunicorn Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2011, 04:33 PM
    If you go to Social Service now, apply for food stamps and whatever other services you may qualify for. They will also help you with the Unemployment/SSI problem by keeping tabs on your unemployment payments. Once you are finished receiving the Unemployment they will hook you up with the SSI. At least that is the way they do it in Colorado. Good luck. Does your state have Medicaid? Colorado does, and it sure helps out with the doctor visits and medicines you need. Look into it at Social Services, too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security disability [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My question is when your first denied ss is it faster on the appeal to hire lawyer and Also why does it take so long to get a hearing.R.G.

Social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I have some work experience that there was no fica deducted, I believe there was medicare deducted. Can I receive disability insurance?

Social Security Disability? [ 4 Answers ]

If your receiving Total Social Security benefits, and IRS find out you received money from the same co. you use to work for (15,000 IN A YEAR) WILL social security TAKE YOUR Benefits AWAY FROM YOU?

Social security disability [ 3 Answers ]

Can the court garnish my social security benefits for alimony in the State of Florida

Social security disability [ 3 Answers ]

I filed for SSI disability several years ago and received it. At the time I didn't know what was wrong with me. I have found out recently that I have lyme disease and the doctor thinks I have had it since I was in 8th grade. That would be over forty years. At the time I filed for SSID I didn't...

View more questions Search