Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    solarpowerquest Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2013, 12:56 PM
    Electrical question? (Solar panel powering a electric pump)
    I have an electrical question.

I have 3 large containers filled with vegetable oil that I need to drain when they get filled. I wanted to set up a solar system so this could be done first by manually flipping a switch and then rig up some kind of float switch later, but I ran into problems. I think I know the issue but I want to ask a professional to make sure I am correct before I sink more money into this.

right now I have a solar panel with the following specs.
    - (Pmax) = 30W Rated maximum power
    - Output Tolerance = +/- 1
    - (Vmp) = 18.2V Voltage at pump
    - (Imp) = 1.65A Current at pump
    - (Voc) = 22V Open-Circuit current
    - (Isc) = 1.82A Short-Circuit Current
    - Maximum system voltage = 1000V
    - Maximum Series Fuse Rating: 15.0A

Devices are 3 pumps all the same that have the following specs.
    - Voltage = 12 V
    - Current (Amps) =1.9A
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2013, 01:49 PM
    The pumps are 12VDC? From what I can see, the pumps are too large for the panel. They do not generate that much current, particularly if you are trying to run 3 pumps. Why not use the panels to charge a battery and then use the battery for the source.

Nov 26, 2013, 01:52 PM
    Do you think that this panel would be able to run one of these pumps instead of all three at once?

Nov 26, 2013, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    The pumps are 12VDC? From what I can see, the pumps are too large for the panel. They do not generate that much current, particularly if you are trying to run 3 pumps. Why not use the panels to charge a battery and then use the battery for the source.
    Do you think this panel would be able to run just one of these pumps instead of all three?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2013, 03:07 PM
    Vmp) = 18.2V Voltage at pump
    - (Imp) = 1.65A Current at pump
    - (Voc) = 22V Open-Circuit current
    - (Isc) = 1.82A Short-Circuit Current
    Your pump, according to your notations is 1.9 Amps and that is running amp not startup.
    Why not a battery, would be more than adequate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ejector Pump and Related Electric Question [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, My question is simple, I have to install an injector pump in my basement crawl, and I will be doing so to code. However, in terms of getting power to the injector pump I wanted to hear what people normally do. I currently have a sump pump within the vicinity of where I will be installing the...

Got a Question about a Sewer Ejector Pump Access Panel [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I've Got A Question For Ya Guy's... I'm A Residential Plumber... But Don't Know This One.. And Don't Have My Book On Me... I Have to install an Access Panel for a Sewer ejector pump some idiot put underneath a kitchen sink... The City won't Buy it... I Want to put it on the reverse wall next to...

Electrical Service Panel question, help please [ 13 Answers ]

My house electrical service panel (38 years old) that is divided into an upper section and a lower section. The upper section is fed from the Extermal Meter box which passes through conduit to the service panel. There is NO breaker or switch in the meter box that I can see. The service panel...

Powering/recharging laptop ot other electronics with solar panel [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to radio shack to buy some regular power cells and I don'd want my computer to fry so I am looking for something about resistors and or other stuff to use to make this. I am planning to fix them to my computer.

Question about an electrical panel [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the plannnig stage of a basement remodel. I checked the breaker box and found that I have 2 circuits currently in the basement. One is for 8 overhead lights and one is for 4 GFI outlets located around the basement. My question is, there are 5 open slots in the panel that I could use...

View more questions Search