Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gromitt82 Posts: 370, Reputation: 23

Nov 20, 2009, 03:00 AM
    :)
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    gromitt82,
    I agree with you on that.
    Notice the many old paintings which depict God in human form.
    One of the most famous is very big on the celeing of the chaple in Rome.
    Also I do believe that When God says the He is the beginning and the end I believe it to be of something like the universe or creation but not of Him.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    In my opinion, that is the whole point. In very much the same way as Michael Angel felt he had to paint God as a powerful and strong middle age man mparting life to Adam, in his Creation of Adam, in the Sistine Chapel, for he could not in any way even attempt to depict God despite all his artistic talent ALL those who had tried to describe God in writing (whether Saints or else) have stumbled upon the impossibility to describe God'sobvious magnificence with words or in any other way.

The "Alpha / Omega" sentence has always been used -wrongly, I believe- to express an idea of something infinite. That is the idea St. John is transmiting in his Book of Revelation.

But, as you say quite rightly, it cannot really be applied to God. We should never - I think - forget that God is the Creator of everything. The Universe and whatever it may contain.

Now then, if the Universe we know - and we still ignore whether there are other Universes - is so immeasurable , with billions of galaxies, each one with billion of stars separated each other by bilions of light-years - and we believe it has been created by God, it necessarily follows that the Creator must be well over and above his Creation, to the extent that for God there is no time (past, present and future are THE SAME THING), nor space or distance. God is everywhere AT THE SAME TIME, has always been and will always be.

When we die, we shall all probably have a glimpse of God's Glory and those who deserve it will have the privilege of sharing a bit of that Glory -whatever it is like - forever. Whereas, those who must be punished, will not have that privilege forever, too.

This is what I believe could describe Heaven and Hell.

But using the concept of time in the Earthly meaning, in a few more years maximum, I shall know for sure as well as whether I deserve to be forever glorified or doomed. I'm hoping on God's mercy to go "marching in, with the saints"... :):)
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 01:23 PM
    gromitt82,
    Yes, I wonder about how would an artist paint or draw a picture of a spirit creating something tangible.
    I also thing that via the infinite and perfect grace and mercy of God you and I will get to see the Glory of God in heaven but perhaps after a stint in Purgatory.
    Pax Um Biscum,
    Fred

Nov 20, 2009, 02:01 PM
    gromitt82,
    Yes, I wonder about how would an artist paint or draw a picture of a spirit creating something tangible.
    I also thing that via the infinite and perfect grace and mercy of God you and I will get to see the Glory of God in heaven but perhaps after a stint in Purgatory.
    Pax Um Biscum,
    Fred

In the best of cases I am already counting on a rather "long" stint in Pugatory. But what does that mean if we consider the final Prize!! :):)
    God Bless
    Claude
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 02:16 PM
    Claude,
    To me the "Final Prize" is worth the wait and purification.
    Pax Um Biscum,
    Fred

Nov 20, 2009, 02:42 PM
    Claude,
    To me the "Final Prize" is worth the wait and purification.
    Pax Um Biscum,
    Fred
    ABSOLUTELY!! :):):)
    Claude
    MarkMcGee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2011, 05:55 PM
    God Created Heaven first - then the other heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1). Watch how God Creates and you'll see that He first Creates space, then fills it. Heaven is large - very large. It contains God's Throne and all the angels He Created (10,000 times 10,000, and thousands of thousands - Revelation 5:11). The angels number in the hundreds of millions and many are very large. They would need a lot of room for their work and service to God. The New Jerusalem is about 1,500 miles high by 1,500 miles wide by 1,500 miles long and comes down out of Heaven from God (Revelation 21:2). A city of that size would fill up much of the United States and tower far above the International Space Station on its way toward the moon. Remember, that's a city that comes down out of Heaven toward the earth. Heaven is beautiful to behold. God used pure gold and extremely valuable jewels and stones in the Creation of Heaven. He used them in sizes and weights far above anything we have ever seen on earth. Heaven is filled with the Glory of God and the songs of His creatures. It is beautiful, powerful and filled with tremendous joy.

Jan 28, 2011, 04:19 AM

Dear McGee,
    I am sure you realize that using the Scriptures in this particular case to describe what Heaven is like, is somewhat like telling children a beautiful tale to explain the Kingdom!
    We cannot ignore the fact that the Genesis was supposedly written by Moses some 4000 years ago and S. John wrote de Revelation at Patmos, towards the year 60 or 70 AD.
    In both cases, the authors had to have recourse to rather fantastic descriptions bearing in mind tha level of knowledge prevailing among the readers of those texts.
    Trying to describe that the size of Heaven is more of less like the USA is equivalent to pretending that Heaven must be situated somewhere over our heads. Incidentally, what heads are we speaking about? Ours or the Australians?
    Seriously speaking. Heaven or the Kingdom of God cannot be described by using Earthen terminology. Can we describe GOD? Can we pretend to know what Heaven is like and how many Angels are there?
    Do you really believe that going to Heaven implies living a happy life for ever and ever, surrounded by angels playing nice music, among beautiful gardens and eating the most delightful fruits...
    Because this is rather the idea Muslims have of their paradise by adding a few scores of beautiful "houries".
    My own idea of Heaven is that the contemplation of GOD, in all HIS magnificence, will be the one and only source of a happiness beyond description for our souls.
    Our ideas of space, size, number, shape, measurements, location, time, age, pleasure, etc. cannot have any meaning in Heaven. I think that the vision of GOD will completely surround us and we will not need anything else!
    As for measures let us not forget that GOD created the Universe we know at present some 14 billion years ago!! Which means absolutely nothing for GOD has NO beginning and NO end. And what GOD created has no known limits to us; at least, so far.
    Besides, how can you speak of people from our world only when there are probably hundreds of billions of galaxies with hundred of billions of planets that may contain some sort of living beings...
    We have to be cery cautious when we speak about GOD and ITS Kingdom for we really know nothing about IT.
    Otherwise, we may as well stick to ehat the Genesis also says about the creation of our World in 7 days...
    Regars
    Cromitt82
    MarkMcGee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2011, 05:07 AM
    Comment on gromitt82's post
    Greetings! Heaven is not the size of the USA. It is a supernatural place of size and dimension beyond our comprehension. An angel of God gave John the Apostle specific measurements for the New Jerusalem which will come out of Heaven to the new earth.

Jan 28, 2011, 08:40 AM

Salve! You are of course referring to what St. Joh is saying regarding his alleged vision of an angel that gives him the supposed measurements of the New Jerusalem.
    We may admit that John had some kind of inspiration or dream that made him write what he said in this respect.
    But, again, I must emphasize that whether a vision, a dream or an inspiration it was in tuning with the knowledge available to both St. John (who was more or less by himself in the isle of Patmos) and the people of the 1st century.
    This could be a similar case to the Pentateuch by Moses. According to some exegetes it was dictated by Yahwe, and if this was actually the case, then Yahwe had to dictate points and data that both Moses and his followers could understand.
    I cannot imagine Moses writing the Genesis and talking about the Big Bang and an Universe already aged some 14 billion years where our world is just like the most insignificant particle...
    On the other hand, and as I said in my previous mail, you cannot speak of a "supernatural place of size and dimension beyond our comprehension". We cannot apply any noun to Heaven. We cannot refer to it as a "supernatural place" for we do not know whether it is a "place", as we understand it, or simply an abstract idea.
    Talking about "places" and sizes is what the Greek did when they spoke of the Olympus and of the throne where Zeus was ruling our World from.
    But GOD is not Zeus and HIS Kingdom is not the Greek Pantheon.
    All that we should be interested in knowing about Heaven is that IT is the supreme reward we can expect to receive if we just abide by the "11" Commandments of the Law!
    This is the message left by Jesus Christ and, if we have faith, we must believe it.
    All the rest, does not really matters.
    Gromitt82
    Curtis Wilson Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Mar 2, 2013, 02:10 PM
    Very interesting responses here. Jesus said "unless a man become born again he can not see the Kingdom of God...neither enter it" (John 3:3) Are you born again? If you are then you have the capcity to see the Kingdom of God, its not with your physcal eyes but spiritual eyes. God has already raised us up, and has made us sit togeather in Heavenly places in Christ!! I am so astounded at the doubt and unbelife of the Church today. Does anybody really believe the truth of the Bible? I don't think to many do. The Church needs to wakeup and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on us!! Please... lets begin excercising our spiritual senses so we can see, feel, taste, touch, and hear God.s Kingdom today... Let us lay hold onto eternal life!!

Curtis

Mar 3, 2013, 10:27 AM
    In John 3:5 Jesus goes on: 'I tell you the truth; no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.' Obviously, Jesus was not talking about a physical new birth, but a spiritual rebirth.
    In a way, before we are born again, we are sort of walking corpses, spiritually dead. From outward appearances, we are alive and nothing seems wrong with us. But inside we are creatures of sin, dominated and controlled by it.
    But, just as we cannot give physical birth to ourselves, we cannot accomplish this spiritual birth by ourselves, either. God gives it, but through faith in Christ we can request it.
    After the new birth, our regeneration is so complete it can be described as nothing less than a totally new life in the spirit. The apostle Paul puts it this way:
    "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" (2 Corinthians 5:17, NIV)
    The sad and amazing thing, however, is that throughout the 2000 years that have gone by since Jesus spoke of the “new birth” most of us, Christians, are still sinning despite having been born again spiritually.
    And it is even sadder to see that, more often than not, throughout history, some of those who were to bear witness to Jesus’ Words (Popes, Cardinals, Bishops... ) are those who apparently could not care less about them!
    In his outgoing address in front of 150,000 people in St Peter’s Square, the emeriti Pope Benedict XVI said there had been times when “it seemed like the Lord was sleeping” during his crisis-hit papacy.
    Benedict XVI said there had been moments of joy during his tenure, but that “stormy waters and headwinds” had left the church in difficulty.
    He was, of course, clearly referring to the indubitable struggles many Cardinals fight for more power within the very Curia in the Vatican.
    Does it mean that these Princes of the Church do not really believe into what they are preaching?
    The history of our Church is full of these indescribable behaviors (Dante wrote a lot about them in his Divine Comedy). But I would have said that in the 21st century we might have become truer Christians at that level.
    Obviously, they still think they are in the Renaissance!
    Shame on them! For they may have forgotten Jesus’ statement: 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.' (John 14:6:)
    Gromitt82
    freeman4 Posts: 102, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2013, 08:14 AM
    If you are wanting a true answer then I can help. There is a lot of questions on this and most do not get an answer that is in any way the truth. When a minister talks about Heaven he is describing Gods Throne and where He is located. He is also describing a place to where they teach individuals will go when they die.

This is not true for Revelation Ch 20: states that God Kingdom will be on this Earth for 1000 years. Check it out;
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 08:17 AM
    "If you are wanting a true answer then I can help. :

Why is your answer more valid, more eduated, than anyone else's?
    freeman4 Posts: 102, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2013, 11:40 AM
    Do not believe me, check it out. That is the problem now, most want do that for themselves, what makes their minister much smarter than them. Check things out and you may find the truth. Jesus said to seek for the truth, not just shake your head in agreement and go on.
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2013, 12:47 PM
    - assuming, of course, that you believe in Jesus.

Aug 5, 2013, 07:48 AM
    JudyKayTee.

Believing in Jesus or not believing in Jesus is like believing or not in Lat Tse, Siddharta Gautama, Confucious. Mohammed or Napoleon, for that matters! All of them are historical personages whose life has been widely explained by learned historians. You are, of course entitled to deny Jesus as much as you are also entitled to deny Mohammed or Napoleon.

You may even believe they are all fiction characters due to exalted imagination of some writers who wanted to tell beautiful invented histories for their amusement. It is absolutely irrelevant, for the actual fact is that all these personages did exist.

On the other hand, discussing whether Heaven is up or down or the Kingdom of God is like the garden of Eden where God is sitting waiting for us to meet Him is quite pretentious in my humble opinion, although quite in accordance with men's arrogance.

We most often forget. When speaking of the Bible, the time when its Books were written and/or who wrote them and whom for. In actual fact, nobody down here can truly explain what Heaven is like and, actually, nobody came back to tell us about the Kingdom of God.
    Only Jesus told us what we should expect in case we deserve to be admitted there.

The glory of the Kingdom of God simply lies on the contemplation of God. Just as Heaven is nothing but denying this contemplation.

What this contemplation implies or means is beyond earthy words or intelligence. It is a concept, like eternity, that we cannot even start to comprehend no matter how great our IQ may be.

How can we be so presumptous as to pretend we know anything about God or His Kingdom? We surely cannot expect the Creator of the Universe to be a good white bearded old man sitting on a golden throne like Jupiter, can we?

At least, this is what I believe, though I can also be utterly wrong..

Gromitt82
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2013, 08:52 AM
    "Believing in Jesus or not believing in Jesus is like believing or not in Lat Tse, Siddharta Gautama, Confucious. Mohammed or Napoleon, for that matters! All of them are historical personages whose life has been widely explained by learned historians. You are, of course entitled to deny Jesus as much as you are also entitled to deny Mohammed or Napoleon.

You may even believe they are all fiction characters due to exalted imagination of some writers who wanted to tell beautiful invented histories for their amusement. It is absolutely irrelevant, for the actual fact is that all these personages did exist."

Just for clarification I meant "believe" as in "believe in/pray to," not "believe in he ever existed."

I was raised Roman Catholic. We prayed to God. The "movement," which is the only word I can think of to describe it, toward Jesus is foreign to me.

Your post is enlightening, non confrontational, very well stated. It's people who post with your information, attitude (I think) who create believers, who create discussions as opposed to what I call the "rabid faction."

Thank you for your well planned out and expressed response - and that's sincere.

Aug 5, 2013, 09:11 AM
    You are welcome! And you are welcome too to any other subject of dicussion you may deem of interest as far as our own Religion is concerned. Do not take me wrong if I say that I do nothing but to try to understand myself the many things I cannot grasp and that confuse my mind.
    But, as I said our intelligence is so limited...

Gromitt82
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2013, 01:39 PM
    Thanks - I just may take you up on this offer -

Aug 6, 2013, 02:01 AM
    Whenever you feel like. Let me warn you, however, that I'm an old goat (87), although without a beard, and, consequently, rather stubborn. I'm also Spanish which means Mediterranean, which imply a happier approach to life than Anglo-Saxons.
    This said, I repeat, I am at your disposal.

Gromitt82

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to get into Heaven? [ 8 Answers ]

The other day my 8 year old asked me if she had to be baptised to get into heaven. This question totally took me by surprise. Although I believe in God, I honestly do not know the answer to this question. I became baptised when this child was in my belly. Does that mean she was baptised then too? I...

WHEN you get to heaven [ 11 Answers ]

How old will you be in heaven?

Who sings the song Heaven o Heaven.. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Ive been looking everywhere do find out who sings that slow song that goes "Heaven o Heaven can you help me, Iam down on my knees please heaven, heaven, heaven, I close my eyes and shes all I see heaven o heaven can you help me" The group or singer sort of sound like Boyz II Men Please...

Describe Heaven [ 17 Answers ]

This is for people who believe in a life after death. Does your belief influence the way you live your life? If yes, please describe what you anticipate this life will be like.

Heaven [ 1 Answers ]

According to the Bible, in Heaven the saints will praise God for all his glory forever and ever. This does not sound like my idea of Heaven!! Standing around singing God's praises for the rest of eternity sounds, in fact, like nothing more than a super-big ego trip for God. If that is so, then...

View more questions Search