Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hensley Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2007, 08:59 PM
    Trane Heater.blowing air, ONLY 62*F Heat
    I have a 2002 Trane Electric Central Heater/AC. The heater portion has worked fine (maintains 70*F temp) since we moved into our new house, then all of a sudden yesterday it will not heat above 62*F. There is strong air coming from the floor vents on regular heat and emergency heat, but it does not get hotter than 62*F. I have changed the filters, looked for loose heating hoses/vents under the house, used a thermometer inside the house to compare to the thermostat temeprature and everything "appears" to be fine, but something is definitely wrong... and suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    Roy
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 24, 2007, 12:09 AM
    Usually electric furnaces have more then one heater element. It is a possibility that one of the heaters has failed or one of the components in the circuit had become defective like a heat sequencer.

You mentioned your unit was a A/C system also. Are you sure this is not a heat pump system? If it is a heat pump system that could also be causing part of the problem.

Last but not least take a look at your air filter. I know you said it is blowing air but a dirty filter never helps the situation.

Dec 24, 2007, 06:22 AM
    HVAC1000 - Merry Christmas and thanks for the reply... it is a heat pump system. From my understanding, it uses the heat pump for an emergency backup when this function is switched on the thermostat control. I tried that function but the inside temperature never raised above 62*F with that function either. I have already changed the filters also. Any more suggestions or from your experienced history, do you think the heat pump may have went out? Temperatures dropped below 25*F last night outside and the heater maintained 62*F inside only when I had the heater thermostat turned up to 75*F. Just trying to get some insight to troubleshoot because I have not found an HVAC person that will come out to fix or service the heater until after 2 Jan 08. Thanks.
    Roy
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 24, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Dang Jan 2 2008. They must be busy or lazy.

Your heat pump is the main source of heat and the electrical resistance heat is the emergency heat. Now with that being said the emergency heat does come on once in a while while the outside heat pump goes into defrost or any time the heat pump cannot keep up with the temperature desired in the house.

If you have flipped the thermostat over to emergency heat and the temperature will not climb over 62 that is a bad sign because the electric furnace part at that point is putting out all it can unless there is a heater section out and that is something I do not believe you can repair unless you have the tools and meter to check out the components of the furnace and find the defective part.

In my area of the country we actually have a true 24X7 service and it never takes over a day for someone to show up to repair a furnace since that is a health situation for many people.

For all the years I had my shop I never let a customer go without heat. If you called in say at 7:00 AM Monday you were taken care of Monday. It may take up till 10:00 PM at night but we got there. If we did not have the part we went back to the shop got the part and installed it. Many times we were out till 2:00-3:00 in the AM the following day but we got it done.That is how you build a good reputation for taking care of people in need. I would call a different company to see if they can help you out.

Dec 24, 2007, 09:08 AM
    HVAC 1000 - thanks for the feedback. I have called every person in the area and either they do not answer or are backed up with work from the Missouri ice front last week... they declared the area a state of emergency. We will get by until then... I went and bought electric heaters/blankets last night. As long as the inside temperature stays above 55*F, we will get by. Thanks again for your help and Merry Christmas!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Go to the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...ons-58313.html

See if you can learn enough to fix the problem yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane XL80 Heater Unit [ 4 Answers ]

We had a Trane XL80 Heater and XL 12 AC Condenser installed back in Jun 2004 - The blower fan on the heater is starting to make some noise! Not sure if it's getting ready to go out? Or not - also we had a Sta-Med Electronic Air Cleaner installed at the same time - the power light (green) does not...

Trane XV 90 won't heat [ 3 Answers ]

Trane XV 90 won't heat. Fan runs, but just recirculates the (cold) air. I checked the covers on the unit -- they are in contact with the pressure switch. Brrr. Thermostat set to 68; inside temp is 59.

Heater blowing cold air [ 5 Answers ]

My heater at home is blowing cold air -- I have the thermostat set to 75 degrees and it says the HEAT to indicate it is on. What's the problem?

New Trane AC/Htg - AC not blowing cold air [ 1 Answers ]

I had a complete new Trane AC/Htng system installed in August 2006. We've been in cooler temperatures but have warmed up. Today, I turned the thermostat to "cool" and it has been running and running but the temperature is just rising, rising, rising. It's at 77 now - not too bad, I know, but...

Trane XL80 blowing cold air [ 3 Answers ]

My mom's Trane XL80 is blowing cold air. Not always, just sometimes. The first serviceman said it was a dirty filter. So, the filter was changed, and it started happening again. The second serviceman (different company) said it might need a fresh air intake. Mom's house is approx 90 years old, the...

View more questions Search