Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    airevue Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Eviction Proceedings- VA
    Hi!
    I am new to this site, but I've already found it very useful reading some of your answers.
    My husband and I have been renting a condo in VA since May. The tenants have not been paying the rent on time from the beginning. In June I received a total of five partial payments. In July they have only paid half the rent up until now. I have served them a 5-day notice and I am waiting for the days to pass before I can file a UD. I also refused their last offer for a partial payment.
    My husband is in the military, stationed in Texas and expecting orders for Germany soon (we should be moving in October). I am very much afraid things will get worse once we are out of the country.
    I have a few questions. Sorry they are so many but I am still learning about my legal choices.
    1. When I get a court date after filing UD for July's rent, should I file a second UD if they do not pay in August?
    2. If we go to court and the tenants never paid for July, will I get an automatic order for eviction? Can I at least ask the judge for the termination of the lease (1 year-long) so I can give them a 30-day notice to vacate?
    3. If they are evicted, do I still owe them the security deposit or can I at least deduct the rent from it?
    Thank you! If anybody has some other advice that can be helpful I am all ears!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Your best bet would be to immediately initiate eviction proceedings. And yes, you can use their security deposit for unpaid rent.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Jul 16, 2007, 03:42 PM
    1. When I get a court date after filing UD for July's rent, should I file a second UD if they do not pay in August?

No - file a Small Claims suit for any balance due AT THE SAME TIME YOU FILE the UD... VA Small Claims limit is now $5,000.

2. If we go to court and the tenants never paid for July, will I get an automatic order for eviction? Can I at least ask the judge for the termination of the lease (1 year-long) so I can give them a 30-day notice to vacate?

You file the UD to get POSSESSION so the balance of the lease is not at issue. No 30 day notice is served.

3. If they are evicted, do I still owe them the security deposit or can I at least deduct the rent from it?

You ALWAYS apply the deposit to any DAMAGES, cleaning, etc BEFORE any judgement.

Hire a professional property manager to manage the condo while you are gone.
    airevue Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by airevue
    Hi!
    I am new to this site, but I've already found it very useful reading some of your answers.
    My husband and I have been renting a condo in VA since May. The tenants have not been paying the rent on time from the beginning. In June I received a total of five partial payments. In July they have only paid half the rent up until now. I have served them a 5-day notice and I am waiting for the days to pass before I can file a UD. I also refused their last offer for a partial payment.
    My husband is in the military, stationed in Texas and expecting orders for Germany soon (we should be moving in October). I am very much afraid things will get worse once we are out of the country.
    I have a few questions. Sorry they are so many but I am still learning about my legal choices.
    Thank you! If anybody has some other advice that can be helpful I am all ears!!
    Thank you both! Right now I am waiting for the receipt notice from the Sheriff dpt before I can file the UD. I am a bit lost regarding the Small Claims suit but I will start checking into that too.
    A couple of follow up questions:
    1.- If they pay the remaining rent before the court date, do I drop the suit or continue with eviction procedures?
    2.- If I take payment with reservation in writing, am I still waiving my right to re-possess. (I read that in the paperwork they gave me at the Court House.)
    By the way, Cvillecpm, am I interested in getting more info on property managers. Can you recommend something? I think it might be worth it when we are in Germany.
    Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction [ 8 Answers ]

In Mississippi, what are the laws concerning a parent evicting an adult child? And what steps would need to be taken.

Eviction proceedings [ 1 Answers ]

I was given a notice to go to court to start eviction proceedings. The thing is I don't owe my lanlord anything. I have been late a few times w/ rent but I always pay and w/ the penilty fee. I am having money problems and I am pregnant and already have 3 kids. Do they have the right to evict me?

Eviction ? [ 7 Answers ]

I just two days ago bought a house from an investor who bought the house out of foreclosure one month ago. The original owner is still residing in the house with no written agrement with the first investor nor has paid any rent money for the past month. What is the minimal time required on the...

Kentucky eviction law motion for eviction [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I really need help I bought a house for 30,000 from a lady we have just a one simple page contract basically states I paid 15000.00 dollars down In April 05' and then make payments of 400.00 a month for 36 months Contract has no sell as is in it because at time of sale we the lady homeowner...

Eviction [ 2 Answers ]

I am renting a home. My lease was up in Sept.05 and now we are renting month to month. I let the landlord know that on the 2nd of the month that I wouldn't have the rent until 2wks from now. She stated that we have until the end of the month to get our things out. Then later on she stated that we...

View more questions Search