Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dm7211961 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2012, 04:01 PM
    Cal Spa Heating Problem
    I have a 1995 cal spa model PS-5-B the GFI tripped when the heat came on and the low speed motor

I finally got the GFI to stay on when I turn up the thermostat to turn heat on the indicator light goes on but not the low speed side of pump.

The high speed side of pump works fine on switch until I turn up thermostat then it trips the GFI

Unplugged the flow switch plug last night and heat came on and low speed side of pump its been running for almost 20 hours now and the water is warm but not hot should've only taken 12 hours to fully heat water could this be a bad pressure switch or is the flow switch bad ?
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

Apr 4, 2012, 09:46 PM
    If you unplugged the flow switch, the heater is not actually coming on... any heat you might be gaining is coming from excess heat from the pump and kinetic energy.

The #1 cause of a tripping GFCI is a bad heating element.

If you can rephrase your description... with some punctuation, and more individualized thoughts, I may be able to figure out more.
    dm7211961 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2012, 07:43 AM
    Thank you I just turned it off.

Is there a way to test the heating element? I have a multi-meter.

Also if it is bad, how do I find the part number I can't seem to find the specs

1995 cal spa model# PS-5-B Mechanical not electronic

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cal Spa not heating [ 27 Answers ]

Hi I have a Cal Spa. I do not know the model though, but we have had it since 1999. Recently the hot tub has not been heating up. The pump will run, but the heater will not turn on. The heating light on the digital screen is not on even though I adjust the temperature. I have been looking up...

Cal spa heating issues? [ 0 Answers ]

Ok here is where I stand with this unit. I have 240 volts at the heating coils, pressure switch checks out, turns on and off as it should. The issue is that the light that indicates heat isn't coming on. I know the tub heats up some what but it doesn't get hot, nor does the indicator light come on....

Regarding 1997 Cal spa heating [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Chaosmaster1, Thanks for your answer. The only error code is the flashing Flo, but I think it has always flashed this. I have water runnning through the heating tube and not air locks anywhere. Would it benefit me to install a new Temp. sensor? Also could you tell me how to test the current...

1997 cal spa 3000 not heating [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a 1997 cal spa. I have installed a new 2 speed motor, new heating element, new pressure switch and a new filter. Last year, no problems but this year cannot get it to heat up. Heat light will not come on no matter what I do. I will add that near the end of last year it was touch and go on...

Cal spa heater [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 1999 cal spa just got it and got it up and running tonight. The pump runs fine but the only time the heater light is on is when the pump is running is that normal?

View more questions Search