Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobcatjeffrey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 10:10 PM
    Cal Spa not heating
    Hi I have a Cal Spa. I do not know the model though, but we have had it since 1999. Recently the hot tub has not been heating up. The pump will run, but the heater will not turn on. The heating light on the digital screen is not on even though I adjust the temperature. I have been looking up different answers to this question and the overall opinion is to bleed the system, however I cannot find any information on how to do this on my spa. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2010, 04:24 PM

If you Have Voltage to the element, and it doesn't heat, it's the Element.
    You can check for voltage to the Heater Relay/Contactor, if the contactor coil has voltage and it doesn't connect power through, the relay/contactor is bad.
    calsparepair Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2010, 06:28 PM
    If the heat light is not on you don't have voltage going to the heat element.

Unless you have a dedicated 'Spa Cal Filtration Pump' turn on the Jets (or Jets 1 if you have more than one pump). If there is water flow in the tub you do not need to bleed the system.

If you do have a Spa Cal Filtration or if you turn on the jets and there is no water flow the 'heat pump' is likely air locked and you will have to bleed or 'prime' the pump.

If the heat pump is not air locked you most likely have a bad pressure switch or a high limit has tripped but you could also have a bad heat relay.

Is there any way you can send me digital photos of the control panel, control box and the pump that is plumbed to the heater under the control box?

Tom Davis
    Authorized Cal Spa Service Agent
    [email protected]
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2010, 07:00 PM

Quote "If the heat light is not on you don't have voltage going to the heat element."
    Indicators can go bad, may need element intact to work, Measuring at element may be more reliable.
    Water Valves are open?
    calsparepair Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2010, 11:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Quote "If the heat light is not on you don't have voltage going to the heat element."
    Indicators can go bad, may need element intact to work, Measuring at element may be more reliable.
    Water Valves are open?
    I've worked on Cal Spa products since 1990. I've never seen a single heat indicator LED go bad.

The element is not in series with the LED. In fact, the LED is designed to be a diagnostic indicator.

Heat light ON = heat relay is engaged or at least has power to the coil. The temperature controls are calling for heat. The control circuits are good. If voltage is present it is getting to the element.

Heat light OFF (when it should be on) = heat relay not engaging. Check for: bad thermostat or temperature control circuit, bad pressure switch or no water flow, tripped high limit or other control preventing the heat relay from engaging.

Measuring voltage at the element is more conclusive than the LED heat indicator. Measuring amperage through the element with a clamp-on meter is even better but most homeowners don't own a meter.

Valves would be a valid question if bobcatjeffry indicated a recent drain and refill or repair but it sounds like the tub was just sitting out there and stopped working all by itself.

My bet is on a pressue switch. Although I've seen older tubs fail to produce an FL error when the filters are dirty...

Hey, bobcatjeffry: pull your filter(s) out and check the bottom drains for blockage.

I would still like to see pictures of the control box and pump if pulling the filters does not fix the problem.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2010, 06:00 AM

I work on many thing, didn't think indicator was in series.
    I agree with the Amprobe.
    If Element has voltage and no current, it is open.
    wilc4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 02:25 PM
    Hello,

I have the same problem with my Cal Spas unit. I had it turned on last night and it was heating and the light was on. I came out and the light had gone off. I thought maybe the bulb was just bad but after letting it run a couple more hours the water did not get any warmer.

The pump seems to be working (I only have one two-speed pump) as water being pumped and flowing as normal. Calsparepair, should I likewise still pull my filter and check for any blockage? If there is none, where do I find the pressure switch at?

Thank you! Nice to Google this and find someone who has worked on these things for 20 years.
    Alyunya Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2010, 02:44 PM

Hi!
    calsparepair person said that if there was a recent drain, then the problem could be valves. I did have my calSpas500 drained recently and now it does not heat up at all. Can you please tell me how to check/fix the valves?
    Uber Member

May 1, 2010, 04:21 PM

I have seen where a valve was closed and would not heat due to lack of flow.
    Alyunya Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2010, 10:44 PM

Stratmando, thank you, but do you know how/where do I check if that is the case?
    Uber Member

May 2, 2010, 07:05 AM

What type of valves do you have? Usually full counterclockwise, or the handle inline with the pipe is open.
    Could be in the control board, or the heating relay as well. Corroded wires are common.
    jpoponea Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2011, 08:12 AM
    Cal Spa expert - how do I identify the heater relay? I am use to relays in automotive applications. Is the heater relay in the spa about 5x larger? Would it be at the bottom electrical box with black wires connected to it? Is there a diagram on the web somewhere identifying the different sections of the circuit board?
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2011, 08:29 AM
    Hopefully he will be here shortly.
    jpoponea Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2011, 04:02 PM
    Cal spa expert, I found the wiring diagram on the back side of the service panel. Balboa Instruments, 7/01/03, CS5300 wiring diagram. My temperature is set to 102 but it took 48 hours for the temperature to rise from 95 to now 95F. The heater light is still off. On the wiring diagram the heater element is connected to terminals 1 and 3. I do not have a current meter at home but I put a volt meter up to the terminals and it read 0 volts. The wiring diagram says my heater is a 240V 5.5 kW. I do not see a relay on the wiring diagram for the heater control, the only relay which I referenced in my previous controls the 240 V pumps.

-> Can you offer advice or next steps? Temp feedback appears to be OK, reading 97F. Heater light (currently off) appears to be valid because I am not reading any voltage on the heater buss. Could this be my control panel or circuit board? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance
    graybeard53 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2011, 02:26 PM
    I have a Cal Spa 2200 model and I had the same thing happen (no heat after being shutdown for a couple months). I did a search online, here also, and was suspecting the pressure switch. I was about to jumper the pressure switch when I noticed that the pressure switch has an adjustable knob on it to set the point that the switch is made. I adjusted the knob and the heat LED light came on and it started heating.

So check for an adjustable knob on the pressure switch before you try anything else.
    cailly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2012, 03:23 PM
    Hello

I just inherited a PS-1 dated .

I have the manual, none of the pictures fit the controls in the unit itself ( there is one control valuve on the corner, then about 2 feet away are two more, down inside the spa a bit. Then over on the other side of the sasme wall are two push buttons. One seems to work the air, the outermost one does not work at all and does not seem to be hooked up to anything.

Anyhow, we got is cleaned and primed, ran it all night to warm it. Heater indicatior light is on and NADA, 24 hours later the water is the same temp as yesterday.

I can't tell from the (cruddy) maunal just what to do! Any suggestions?
    cailly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2012, 03:25 PM
    Ugh, it was supposed to ask a new question, not post in here. Sorry. (mine is 15 amp (120v)
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2012, 05:13 PM
    No, this is where you need to keep all in one place for this problem.
    Follow the push button to the air switch and you can bypass the switchs to see what they operate, 1 you know is the blower, the second may do nothing or be broke.
    Can you provide any pictures?
    Do you have a cover.
    Do you have a meter and safely work on this. The pictures will help.
    bbt95762 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2012, 03:51 PM
    I have similar problem - just changed the water, re started the system, cleared the air from the jets - so they are all flowing clearly.

Heat LED does not turn on, and no heat - any ideas?

Thanks
    nmathews Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2012, 07:51 AM
    What should be the voltage at the heater? Mine is reading 77 volts. I can't seem to get it to heat water very well and when you touch the heater it room temperature to the touch, Ice cold when you turn the heater off, and when you unplug the pump she gets red hot in seconds. How long are these units suppose to take to heat up?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Spa not heating up [ 4 Answers ]

How you guys doing? Im having troubles with my jacuzzi spa. Its turning on. I hear the motor on but it doesn't get hot. Do I change out the motor? Heating element? How can I check if any isgood? Thanks guys

Cal works [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ! I been getting calworks (welfare) for the 4 to 5 years for my 3 daugthers & my question is I want to become a U.S. Citisen soon will that affect me when I go & apply?

View more questions Search