Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doxie2mom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2006, 07:43 PM
    Leasing in Virginia
    I am new to this forum so help me out here!

I live in Virginia and signed a 1 year lease in March. I have been dating somebody and have decided to move in with him. I haven't had a chance to research my lease yet, but do recall when I signed it that I would only be responsible for 3 months or until the unit was leased again. The Assistant Manager told me yesterday that the demand for that unit is high and I would probably only be responsible for 1 month. The Manager called and said that I would be responsible for the full amount to the end of the lease, even if it was leased to somebody else in the mean time. I did find a statement on another web site stating "a tenant who breaks a lease without good cause will be responsible for the remaining rent due under the lease term. In most States, however, a landlord has a legal duty to use reasonable efforts to try to find a new tenant - no matter what the tenant's reason for leaving - rather than charge the tenant for the total remaining rent due under the lease." Can somebody help me or direct me to a site that will give me solid information that I can understand?
    Thanks so much!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2006, 10:35 PM
    You are correct, Doxie2mom.

If they rent it out again, you will not be responsible for anything else.

And in most US states they have a duty to try.

For more information for your state (Virginia), see here:

VIRGINIA: Title 55, Ch. 13.2, Virginia Residential Landlord and Tenant Act
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...13000020000000
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2006, 06:29 AM
    Instead of posting a question here on this issue, you should be digging out your copy of the lease and reading it.

The lease should spell out how much notice you have to give and what you will be responsible for. Your lease determines these things except if the lease terms contradict local laws.

In the case of a fight, the definition of reasonable efforts would be a key. If the landlord lists the arptment with a realtor, or advertises in a paper or apartment listing, that could be considered reasonable. You would then have to prove that qualified tenants applied for the apartment and were turned away.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Aug 28, 2006, 07:12 AM
    VA Landlord can't collect double rent - from you and next tenant.

Keep checking the apt to see if it is rented and when you find it is... ask the new tenants for their names and when they moved in and then write the landlord that you have this information.

Aug 28, 2006, 07:41 AM
    Thanks so much for all the information! I had not had a chance to pull the lease yet, as my Sister actually has it and isn't able to get it to me until next weekend. Long story. Anyway, they were basically saying that they could collect rent from me and another tenant, and I KNEW that was wrong, but I needed somewhere to start research. I don't think I will have any problem with them once they realize I am not that Naïve. I think they are just trying to bully me.

Again, thanks so much for all of your help. It is very much appreciated.

:D
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2006, 08:03 AM
    Yes that is wrong, they can't double dip.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2006, 12:41 PM
    Double-check the part that states that you "would only be responsible for 3 months or until the unit was leased again." That seems to be key here. Whatever the lease stipulates is what they can hold you to ; no more, no less. If the lease is as you understand it to be then you could potentially be held responsible for up to 3 months rent, plain and simple. Take the lease to an attorney if you need help reading and understanding it.

Aug 30, 2006, 09:03 PM
    Thanks for the reply. As an update, Sister is meeting with Manager on Tuesday to discuss some options. She is supposed to get the lease to me to read by this weekend so that I can look it over. I was a legal secretary for 14 years, so do have a little knowledge and where to look for the loop holes. I just don't have the copy in my hands yet. Thanks so much and I will be sure to update when I get with my Sister and the Manager next week. All advice is appreciated! :D

doxie2mom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leasing cottage in Alaska [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Alaska and recently engaged in a 8-month lease. The dwelling is a cottage that is rented on a nightly rental at 220.00 through the summer then starting in late Sept. becomes a winter rental at 750.00 a month all utilities included. When speaking to the land owner he said that the unit...

Garnishment in Virginia [ 0 Answers ]

Is there a Federal law prohibiting more than one garnishment at a time? I have been garnished for student loans for about a year now, they take about 15% of my pay. Now a auto loan creditor wants to garnish me for about $4K of an reposessed car. Can they do this? I didn't believe this was possible,...

Virginia L-T Statutes [ 4 Answers ]

:p VA residential tenants "may" have a lease relationship under the VRLTA - Virginia Residential Landlord Tenant Act - DEPENDING on the # of and type of residential rental units the property owner may own. If the rented residence is a SFR - single family residence - it is doubtful the VRLTA is...

Auto leasing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 year lease on a 2005 VW Bug, which began in March, 2005. I am allowed 10,000 miles per year on the lease. Vehicle has 10,800 miles currently. I want to get out of the lease now, as I do not need 3 vehicles any more. Short of trading the vehicle in on another one, how do I get out of...

Contest in Virginia [ 4 Answers ]

In the state of Virginia, is it illegal to run a contest where there is an entry fee and a cash prize is awarded? Keep in mind you are not eligible to win a cash prize without paying the entry fee.

View more questions Search