Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tankthecrank Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Old Genie Garage Door Opener - Gear and Sprocket
    We have an old genie model SP99 garage door opener. The motor stills works, the plastic gear still turns but the door will not open or close without assistance. Could the chain sprocket 'slip' when the gear is turning? When giving assistance the chain does move down the track like normal to it's limits and then stops like it should. I see that a gear wheel and sprocket assembly is available as a replacement part (#26289). Do you think the problem with my opener is a bad gear and sprocket assembly? When I stand on a ladder and watch the plastic gear wheel, it does spin without any difficulty when switched on, but the chain does not move. If the gear and sprocket assembly is bad, is this a difficult replacement job for a do-it-yourselfer?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 09:31 PM

Could you further explain what you mean "it does spin without any difficulty when switched on, but the chain does not move" Is the gear turning on the chain but the chain stands still? That can only happen when the teeth are worn off the gear. Replacement isn't terribly difficult but installing a new opener for $140 isn't any more difficult. Its been my experinec that when an opener starts to fail many parts are getting ready to follow suit. Its you call if you are feeling handy but If you hired me I'd try to talk you into a new unit and be done with it.
    tankthecrank Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 02:23 PM

Thank you for your quick assistance. I got back up on the ladder to get a better look and I took off the plate that covers and protects the chain sprocket and large plastic gear This cover plate has a bushing that keeps the chain sprocket/large plastic gear assembly in place. What you thought was happening appears to be true. The teeth on the round plastic gear are not coming into good contact with the drive gear shaft coming from the motor. Looking at the setup as it operates now, I think this might just be a secondary reason why I am experiencing problems. The chain sprocket has no teeth to hook on to the chain. The large round plastic gear and the sprocket both turn when they engage with the drive gear while power is on, but without any teeth the chain sprocket is having trouble gripping the chain. I think because the sprocket teeth are worn down to nubs at best, this is allowing too much 'play' in the alignment of the large plastic gear wheel and the drive gear resulting in a gap between the drive gear and the round plastic gear. Am I correct in my thinking that the chain sprocket should have teeth to mesh with the chain? If I went with the cheaper option of making a repair by replacing the round plastic gear and chain sprocket assembly rather than replacing the entire garage door opener unit, could you tell me if I can just pull the old gear assembly off and pop a replacement assembly back on, or is it much more than that?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 07:17 PM

No, I think you have described a fairly simple repair. You should plan to disconnect the opener from the ceiling and lower the motor and arm to a saw horse so you can be a better look at that gear. Remove the chain by loosening the tensioner and then open the master link in the cahin. Once the cahin is off the gear is likely held on a shaft with a single clip. Before you do these steps be sure you have the new part in hand. Good luck, Bob
    ARCE1114 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2011, 01:23 PM
    I HAVE AN GARAGE DOOR OPENER AND I NEED PART (Genie Garage Door Opener Gear & Sprocket - Part # 26289R) THE GARAGE DOOR MODEL NUMBER IS 810.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

Garage door opener making loud noise and door won't go up [ 1 Answers ]

When I pushed the button to open my mom's garage door, the door went up about an inch and made a loud banging noise like a machine gun. We got the door to open by pushing on the button and pushing up on the door. The noise is coming from the part in the middle of the garage door that goes down...

Genie Garage Door Malfunction [ 7 Answers ]

I have an 8 year old Genie Chain Glide Series GCG or PCG garage door opener. Worked fine until recently when it started making a grinding sound while closing and needed a little tug to get it through the "tough" spot. I cleaned and re-oiled the runners. Still had the problem. I read the manual...

How do I sync the keyless pad garage door opener to the main garage door opener? [ 3 Answers ]

I mistakenly gave someone my garage door opener that didn't return it. I had a male friend come over and "change the code" including my car opener and gave me a universial which he also programmed. I came to realize my code for my keyless pad outside doesn't work (since he changed the code... )....

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

View more questions Search