Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thetachi464 Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

May 10, 2005, 06:50 PM
    Router access point problems
    I have a wrt54g router and a wap54g access point. Now the problem is I have used them both for some time now but just recently they have started to lose the signal, well the wireless network will just go away. I mean for no reason the wireless network will just go away as fast as it appered. I have upgraded both so that they are running the most up to date firmware. This was an issue about a week ago and I fixed it but now it seems to be happening again. The fix last time was to update the firmware. I am able to use the network as long as I am connected by a cable but the wireless is not there. It is as if the wireless is turned off. Nothing has been changed. The connection to the access point was working after I rebooted it the router and the computer. But died after about 4 minutes. The access point is setup as a repeater but it is not working. Can anyone help me with this. I am with in 10 feet of the router and the access point is within 20 feet of the router and I still loose the signal. I use the access point because is give a better signal I think there is something in the house that kills the signal. I do not pick up any wireless signal from any other networks. What can be going on. I am rather good with networks as that is what I do but this has me stumped so anyone please help.

May 10, 2005, 08:20 PM
    The wireless network just started working about 30 minutes ago. This is how strange it is. The network is up like there was never anything wrong. Please help me I am going bald and I don't want to pull any hair out and this is pushing me over the edge.
    jocase Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2005, 05:44 PM
    Router malfunction
    Have you tried powering down the router and powering it up again? Also I have had some luck with intermittent operation by using the reset button on the router.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2005, 05:43 AM
    Wireless
    Hi,
    Here is a link:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/more...elesstips.mspx

It might, or might not, help. It contains 10 tips for placing the router, access, etc, and does give some hints on interference issues.
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Oct 2, 2005, 04:05 PM
    I don't mean to make anyone mad but have you all checked the date on that post? I thought no one had any idea about how to solve this so I left this alone. But the problem was fixed.
    jocase Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2005, 10:04 PM
    Date
    I did not check the date. I am new to this board and thanks for pointing out that is is an old post. I will notice that in the future.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2005, 04:19 AM
    Original Post Date
    Hi,
    Whooooops!!
    I didn't check the date either... sorry.
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 3, 2005, 06:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thetachi464
    I don't mean to make anyone mad but have you all checked the date on that post? I thought no one had any idea about how to solve this so I left this alone. but the problem was fixed.
    Unfortunately this is a common problem, especially with people new to this type of BBS format. What commonly happens is someone new comes on board and to them all the posts are new so they start answering without looking at the dates. Then someone else might see the thread as new because of the new post and add their 2 cents (whether it helps or not) without checking the dates.

No one should be mad at you for pointing this out. The only one anyone should be mad at is themselves for not checking the dates, and then only if they should have known better (not being new).
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Oct 3, 2005, 08:21 AM
    ?
    Tachi... so for the possible benefit of others - what was the fix?

Thx. P2E

Quote Originally Posted by thetachi464
    I don't mean to make anyone mad but have you all checked the date on that post? I thought no one had any idea about how to solve this so I left this alone. but the problem was fixed.

Oct 3, 2005, 02:22 PM
    The fix was to update the router and the access point. I downloaded the latest firmware and then I had to go back into them and then set them up again. It took some time but it was easy. I am not really sure what the problem was but I have not had to many problems lately. So I think that the problem is solved. Sorry for not posting the answer so I am part of the reason that the post was not ended so sorry about that guys and girls.
    lildp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 03:56 AM
    I havethe same problem with my WRP54G
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 20, 2006, 11:05 AM
    Call Linksys, they have excellent tech support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless router won't let me access certain domain/address [ 1 Answers ]

I have a D-Link wireless router which is servicing 2 laptops. I have trouble connecting to certain secure sites from the laptops but can do so fine with my main computer hard wired to the main router. I suspect the wireless router's default filtering/firewall is the culprit. How do I unset those...

Fail to access the router [ 6 Answers ]

Please, I need an advice :confused: I fail to access the router, I type my default gateway in IE, but it returns in no results. In the house I live, we are connnected to the internet from one person, is it possible to configure router from my computer? I need to open some ports :D

Outlook Web Access problems [ 11 Answers ]

When logging on to my email through OWA at home on my laptop, I can view emails but cannot send, forward or create a new email. It just freezes for bit and then back to normal. Can you help me fix this problem.

Problems installing Access 97 [ 4 Answers ]

I had XP Professional installed on my computer. It was installed over Windows 98 and all the programs I had installed with 98. After installing XP, I was able to install Word 97 fine; however, when I attempt to install Access, during the set up process it tells me that it cannot open certain...

Internet access using a router. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a home network with 2 computers, both using windows 98se. I use a router to connect both computers to the internet, however, the secondary computer can no longer access the internet. I have a connection between the 2 computers but no internet connection only on the second computer. What...

View more questions Search