Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christina1111 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2006, 09:56 AM
    Strange toilet noise
    Hi,

My toilet is scaring people away. Every time after I flush, it makes the strangest, loud noise. I think it might have something to do with the water pressure... because it only happens when I flush and it stops once the toilet stops filling. The noise was bareable before but now its gotten so loud I can hear it all over the house... PLS HELP!

Thank you
    Christina
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 18, 2006, 01:01 PM
    Hi Christina,

What's happening here is the washer's loose and vibrating or you have a small pebble that's vibrating as the water rushes by it. Let me give you the easy fix first. Flush the toilet and when the noise starts adjust the shutoff under the tank clockwise until the noise stops. If that don't get it click on back and we'll go to plan "B". Cheers, Tom
    christina1111 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2006, 01:50 PM
    Okay so I tried the shut off knob and that didn't stop the noise. Im guess on to plan B.

Thanks,
    Christina
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 18, 2006, 02:50 PM
    Ok! On to plan"B".
    If your ballcock is the float ball type turn the water off at the shut off. Now take the lid off and unscrew the three screws on top of the ballcock. Pull up and the float ball, rod and the top of the ballcock should come apart. What's left is the stem and washer. Pull it out and reverse the washer making very sure it's seated in the stem. Now before you reassemble the ballcock place a can over it and turn the water back on to flush out the supply. Reassemble making sure you connect the little 1/8th inch tube from the top of the ballcock to the white overflow tube. Sound better now? Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Noise [ 12 Answers ]

One of our toilets makes a loud noise, which seems to be coming from the pipes. It kind of sounds like there may be air or that the water is having trouble getting through the pipes. The noise starts once the tank is about half empty. Any ideas?

Dryer Making Strange Noise [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: My GE Electric Dryer is making a strang "ching-ching" noise with each rotation. But there is nothing in the clothes that would explain this noise. (It is doing this with every load). It is drying the clothes fine, but the noise is very loud and annoying. What is wrong?

Toilet noise [ 1 Answers ]

My toilet bowl has suddenly started making noise. Every few minutes, it makes a clicking noise. The noise sounds kind of like a kernel of popcorn has popped. What could cause this and what can I do to fix it? Thanks.:)

Noise in bathtub when flushing toilet [ 1 Answers ]

For the past five flushes, when I flush my toilet, I hear noises coming from my bathtup drain. The bathtup is next to the toilet. It sounds like water is being drained from the bathtub pipe. What would cause this?

Strange noise [ 3 Answers ]

there is a strange noise that randomly occurs in the morning in my house. It sounds like a jack hammer. It is most prominent in my master bedroom bathroom, where there is a vent on the low part of the wall, but I can't figure out where it's coming from. My furnace and ac are not on and haven't been...

View more questions Search