Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dejevuloo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2007, 02:08 PM
    Fallacies in writing
    Can anyone help me figure out what a fallacy is?
    jimfun71 Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

May 27, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dejevuloo
    Can anyone help me figure out what a fallacy is?
    1. a deceptive, misleading, or false notion, belief, etc.: That the world is flat was at one time a popular fallacy.
    2. a misleading or unsound argument.
    3. deceptive, misleading, or false nature; erroneousness.
    4. Logic. Any of various types of erroneous reasoning that render arguments logically unsound.
    5. Obsolete. Deception.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 27, 2007, 02:28 PM
    A fallacy is a defect that weakens the written argument. A fallacy is an illusion, an error of reasoning, a lie, but often written in a way that is persuasive.

Here are two good guides to identifying fallacies in writing:
    Fallacies
    Argumentative Writing: Fallacies
    arnoldmesa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 11:09 PM
    Find one example of a fallacy from a newspaper editorial, and another example from an opinion magazine. For each you find, summarize the issue, and determine which side of the issue the writer supports. Catagorize the fallacies based on their characteristics, and describe the impact of the fallacies on their respective articles.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2007, 03:25 AM
    Hi, Arnold!

You have just posted you question as a reply or answer to the original posters question. This place doesn't work like a chat room.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which Fallacies [ 12 Answers ]

We can recognize that athletes that participate in sports must be given special consideration within our grading system, or we can let the university sink into athletic oblivion.

Locating fallacies [ 9 Answers ]

I am having trouble locating a magazine article and newspaper articles containing Fallacies. I need this for my citicle thinking class. CAn you help me?

Identifying Fallacies [ 1 Answers ]

Find one example of a fallacy from a newspaper editoral, and another example from an opionion magazine. For each fallacy you find, summarize the issue, and determine which side of the issue the writer supports. Categorize the fallacies based on their characteristics and describe the impact of the...

Fallacies in writing [ 3 Answers ]

I need an example of a fallacy in a newspaper editorial and one in an opinion magazine. :confused:

What is a fallacies? [ 2 Answers ]

We can recognize that athletes that participate in sports must be given special consoderation within our grading system, or we can let the university sink into sthletic obilivon. What fallacies does this fall under and why? I have a final on fallacies and I have about 20 fallacies that is...

View more questions Search