Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lianne20 Posts: 33, Reputation: 5

Sep 4, 2006, 07:57 PM
    Just LOVE to draw...
    Okay, Im 20, just left my job due to problems. I was a secretary (borrrrrring!)
    I've always has a passion for drawing, painting (mainly abstract, surreal, whatever) and I've been told I really have a gift ;-)
    So now I'm just a bit confused as to where to go from here. I'd love to express my creative side and get a job doing the thing I love most... drawing!
    I'm not really sure what I want to be though. As an actual "artist" surely I'd be painting, drawing and then having to rely on these pictures selling? Not knowing when my next payday would be?
    I've thought about being a children's book illustrator too... but not sure where to find the info etc. I can't afford to go to college full time, I need to be earning money and pretty quick. I'd love to find a job doing something creative, but I have no qualifications. Any ideas would be gratefully accepted!
    jimfun71 Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Sep 4, 2006, 08:07 PM
    If you can do something you love to do you will be happy for the rest of your life. You need to get a job and just view it as a means to an end. Go out and get a job you hate. At the same time go to school and pursue your dream. Everyday when you go to the job you hate it will inspire you to finish youe education to get a job you really love. There are many more choices than just the classic artist. There's graphic arts the media arts there's like a million things you can do that will be based on your creativity and not just your ability to draw or paint.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2006, 11:24 AM
    Lianne,
    10 years ago I was in your shoes. This is what I did... I was 20 years old too!
    I was not good at working a job I hated and wanted to do what I loved instead (painting). But how could I survive off that?? Selling paintings on canvas is almost near impossible to live off, and limits your creativity.
    I was near broke when I came across some old windows someone had placed on the side of the road for trash pick up. I drove back by the house that night to get them. It was The first time I had ever snagged someone's garbage. LOL!! Boy was I embarrassed! I cleaned them up, on one I painted some flowers, on the other I painted a sailboat, both with acrylic glass paint. Then I called the "I Wanna" - It's a classified ads paper that you buy at the gas station - placing a classified ad is free unlike the daily paper. I ran an ad that said "hand painted windows for sale". I sold both in one week and made 100$ for my first time. I had so many calls... Every time I'd see something someone had set out that had potential, I'd go back that night and get it, do something creative with it, then sell it.
    I had found an antique store that "rented" spaces" for creative people such as myself to sell there stuff in. So, I bought some 1$ flower vases at walmart, painted them with flowers; I went to garden ridge and bought things like inexpensive flower pots, different types of wooded gift boxes, wooded chairs, plaster animals/vases, and such - lots of inexpensive things. I did different stuff (not just painting) and was able to rent a small spot in the store - it did really well (I couldn't keep it full). Then I decided to go back to school and I painted murals on the walls of peoples homes while attending collage and made a good living off doing so. I advertised in different places such as town parenting magazines, town guides, bulletins, furniture stores, the antique store that started it all for me, specialty shops, etc, etc... It got me through school and paid all the bills.
    Now I'm teaching my passion at the community center where I live (10 years later)... LOL... But I had fun getting here, and that's what's important!!
    If your dream isn't handed to you on a silver platter, you have to go grab it yourself!! Best of Luck to you!! Follow your dream, you'll be glad you did!!
    Kyo_of_Dir_en_grey Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Oct 26, 2006, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianne20
    I've always has a passion for drawing, painting (mainly abstract, surreal, whatever) and I've been told I really have a gift ;-)
    So now I'm just a bit confused as to where to go from here. I'd love to express my creative side and get a job doing the thing I love most...drawing!
    I'm not really sure what I want to be though. As an actual "artist" surely I'd be painting, drawing and then having to rely on these pictures selling? Not knowing when my next payday would be?
    I've thought about being a children's book illustrator too...but not sure where to find the info etc. I can't afford to go to college full time, I need to be earning money and pretty quick. I'd love to find a job doing something creative, but I have no qualifications. Any ideas would be gratefully accepted!
    This is going to sound a bit strange I am sure... but try joining an art site like http://www.deviantart.com/ They are very nice and are based off getting paypal money in exchange for art. I am not a member because I don't have a gallery worth posting but many of my friends are. I think you should look online and try selling commissions.
    Protody Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2006, 02:31 PM
    You could join Shonen Jump team (if they accept you). Lots of people that were in your situation joined Shonen Jump magazine and soon there books were super popular and known throughout the world. Not to mention the millions you'll be making.
    derek maguire Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Mar 2, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianne20
    So now I'm just a bit confused as to where to go from here. I'd love to express my creative side and get a job doing the thing I love most...drawing!
    I've thought about being a children's book illustrator too...but not sure where to find the info etc. I can't afford to go to college full time, I need to be earning money and pretty quick. I'd love to find a job doing something creative, but I have no qualifications. Any ideas would be gratefully accepted!
    Hello, I love drawing and painting also,I paint from pictures and download art sites and I just paint and draw from these,my friends ask why don't I sell my work via e bay but I am
    Always unhappy about something in my work,my brother in law said to me why don't you try and discover my own style,what I can remember from my boyhood or my working life
    I find this difficult to put on to canvas,however I can sympathize with you,I hope you find
    An answer to you're problem,put you're work onto sites that advertise and I'm sure someone with an eye for talent will show interest in you.im not confident enough.good luck
    Derek.
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Mar 2, 2007, 07:51 PM
    I became a graphic designer and eventually a sign installer. A friend(artist) once gave me some advice. "do not do your favorite activities as work because then it becomes work and no longer remains as enjoyable. Select your second favorite activity for your job". Its been good advice. After a stressful day at work on computers and installing signs and vinyl, I can come home to relax with my oil painting and drawing. Enjoy what you do for work but keep your favorite activities for pleasure and relaxation.
    loukabooga Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2007, 10:22 AM
    Hi!
    I too have always loved to draw. At your age I started entering local amateur Art competions like the Derby Arts festival, I was lucky enough to win every one I entered. This gave me the confidence to say "I am award winning!"

Less than 50 Artists in the UK can live off their art alone. It's sad, but true. I am a photorealist and people look at my work drop jawed, but it's not how talented you are, but how commercial your work is. I have a friend that just does a photoshop effect on photos, uses a projector to do the outline on a canvas and then "colours in" the drawing! No talent at all... but he sells the paintings in galleries for £600 a piece! Where as I take up to a week to painstakingly draw every hair on a head and only get half that amount... his work is commercially viable...

So, I guess I'm saying, no qualifications or talent will get you any further than simply having a style that people buy in to!

As for work options.. (as you'd be best working to bring in some immediate money) I worked as a pre-press operative, starting low as a plate maker then working my way up to 3D designer. I found it very creative and rewarding even though I left school with just an A grade in Art and a C in English! Plus, print work is a male dominated industry as it's quite dirty, so you get the bonus of being the only girl!

To be honest, I have lots of work on internet sites, but art doesn't sell very well online. I have only ever sold portraits on my own website to order. http:/www.loukabooga.co.uk (if that link works!)

Good luck, let me know if you think print work maybe an option for you and I'll give you any help and advice you need!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

This guy love you [ 1 Answers ]

Who sings this older song called "This guy loves you?

How do I use pastels in teaching children how to draw? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I use pastels in teaching children how to draw?

Does he really love me [ 3 Answers ]

I have had a dream that my boyfriend has been with other girls including his ex.? What does this mean?

View more questions Search