Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janlafata Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 01:49 PM
    Messed up of a few system file icons!
    I can't believe myself. I've had done two major bonehead mistakes in one week! And I thought I was getting the hang of all of this!

Hopefully this is a simple one to fix. I messed up quite a few Vista system icons and I can't seem to get them all back to default. It all started when I was opening a .dll file that I thought was tied into Firefox. I can't remember whether it was or not. All I know is now t all of my.dll files have a Firefox logo icon. And if you open up properties, it says "Opens with Firefox!

So I did a lot of searching for answers. One included deleting the Icon database file in C:\ Users\Name\AppData\Local, then rebooting. Supposedly that will set things right. It didn't!

Then a tried a variety a Icon fix-it programs including WinBubbles, Vista Visual Master and a bunch of little dinky fix-it programs, some that were just a registry key to add. But nothing worked.

But while I was writing this thread, I kept trying things out, in hopes that I wouldn't have to bother you with issue (and actually so I could then bother you with another issue I'm having!) So I tried one last Google search. What I came up with was a registry entry called extfix.

Actually I think it has a slightly different name on other websites, but the fix is the same. And just by adding this information to the registry, this was supposed to restore all the file extensions. And it did, at least for my.dll files. I just right-clicked and hit Merge, rebooted and went into windows to see if my .dll icons had changed. They had. It currently looks like a blank white piece of paper that has the tip folded back on the top right and on the page are two blue gears, one large and one small.

I also open up properties on a .dll file and it says "Opens with unknown application", which I believe is what it is supposed to say. So now with that fixed, I moved on to the next concern. The icon and file association for Configuration Settings or .ini files. This needs a little explanation how they got the way they are.

When I was running one of those icon restore programs that I mentioned, I was trying to actually change the Firefox icon that was associated with the .dll files. The program gave me quite a few icon choices to pick from and I picked the one that I thought most closely resembled the default icon that I could remember, a blank white page with lines on it and the top right corner folded back. It has one large blue gear on it leaning towards the left.

But when I went to change the .dll icon, for some reason it didn't do anything for the .dll file icon. Instead it changed the .ini file icons. And now they're all that way. And if you click on properties of a .ini file it says "Opens with Notepad". Now I'm not sure, that might be correct, but shouldn't it say "Opens with unknown program" just like the .dll file?

Either way, it's obvious to me that besides with the .ini file icon possibly being wrong, it probably does not also have the right association. So that's where I'm at currently. One problem is fixed, but I'm not sure about the .ini files. Everything in Windows does work OK though however, which I am thankful for.

I patiently wait for your input.
    Jan LaFata
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 03:34 PM
    I guess it depends on how you define "problem". I have my INI files associated with Notepad otherwise you have to use Send To... or Open With... to edit them instead of just double-clicking on them.

Quote Originally Posted by janlafata
    I can't believe myself. I've had done two major bonehead mistakes in one week! And I thought I was getting the hang of all of this!
    FYI - "This" usually isn't required to successfully use a computer. Based on your posts you seem to go out of your way to "tweak" things in the interest of improvement that really don't need tweaking and then randomly apply fixes obtained from the Internet without a full understanding of what they do, and then post here when they didn't work. Although I'm fully in favor of self motivated exploration in the pursuit of knowledge, I find it hard to muster motivation to assist such folks because I also believe in do the crime, do the time (fixing it). I suspect others do as well given the limited responses on some of your posts. Just saying... Perhaps reading books and taking classes would be an expedited approach to knowledge, trial and error typically proves terribly time consuming for the tidbit gained.

Sep 7, 2008, 04:12 PM
    Scleros... While I do thank you for your answer, I must say, you are taking my comments way too seriously. I just enjoy computing and yes I do think I know enough to keep a system optimized. And tell me one person who enjoys computers who hasn't used a tweaking program or overclocked or tried a registry fix to make something run a little faster!

And I am sorry but for you to add your own personal comments about about the type of posts I submit, is out of line. I take your comments personally and find your attitude about helping others as negative, cocky and mean.

I do not care if you have all of the knowledge in the world about computers. That gives you no right to come off sounding superior and to talk down to people. Also the last time I checked, you do not run AskMeHelpDesk or make their policies. One of which I am sure would say something about courtesy and respect for people that post.

So I am sure that that those who run your service will be interested in what you said to me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Scleros...While I do thank you for your answer, I must say, you are taking my comments way too seriously. I just enjoy computing and yes I do think I know enough to keep a system optimized. And tell me one person who enjoys computers who hasn't used a tweaking program or overclocked or tried a registry fix to make something run a little faster!

And I am sorry but for you to add your own personal comments about about the type of posts I submit, is out of line. I take your comments personally and find your attitude about helping others as negative, cocky and mean.

I do not care if you have all of the knowledge in the world about computers. That gives you no right to come off sounding superior and to talk down to people. Also the last time I checked, you do not run AskMeHelpDesk or make their policies. One of which I am sure would say something about courtesy and respect for people that post.

So I am sure that that those who run your service will be interested in what you said to me.
    As a representative of those that run this service, I must disagree with your reaction here. I have had the same feeling Scleros expressed many time in the years I've been doing this. Once you post questions on a site like this, you open yourself up to comments on your actions.

I disagree that Scleros's comment were discourtous or disrespectful. I believe he was sincerely trying to help you with his advice.

If you want to play around with a PC and experiment or tweak, then I suggest getting yourself a test machine. I do not fool around with my production PCs because its important they they be up and running. Get a test machine and clone the base image. Then if you mess things up, you can restore that image and correct the errors.

Sep 7, 2008, 06:21 PM
    So be it then. But that does not make your policy right. You said: "Once you post questions on a site like this, you open yourself up to comments on your actions." Sure you expect back comments, but not ones that attack you personally. In my opinion that is a flawed policy.

And the fact that you believe that Scleros "Was sincerely trying to help you with his advice." tells me a lot about you. Enough to make me feel sorry for a person with that kind of attitude.

So, As I mentioned before, there are plenty of other sites where I can go. Sites I have been posting on for a years now, without any trouble. So I am canceling my account here.
    Hardware Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 06:29 PM
    Scleros...While I do thank you for your answer, I must say, you are taking my comments way too seriously...I do not care if you have all of the knowledge in the world about computers.
    I'm not attacking you personally. If you're bleeding and come and ask me why you're bleeding and you're sticking yourself with a knife, I'm going to tell you to stop poking yourself with the knife. I take all posts seriously, if the poster was just joking or musing for their own edification, they are wasting everyone's time and don't actually care for a resolution to their post, suggestions to improve their situation, or recommendations for avoiding headaches. Nope, I'm suggesting to you an alternative expedited comprehensive approach to gaining the knowledge you seek without hardship and an explanation in case you were wondering why you don't get responses, perhaps too blunty. I've taken the "fiddling with" route all my life and see me in you. Looking back, it probably wasn't the most time effective nor most comprehensively educational route to take, but I certainly gained an understanding greater than I would have had someone simply said "you fix it this way" and sent me on my way. Unfortunately, these behavioral tendencies have also led to my royally f'ing up systems that weren't my own and hours spent correcting. I've lost my own important data to unnecessary shenanigans. If your gleaning something from my mistakes is "sounding superior" or "talking down" so be it, better you were informed of risky behavior and choose to ignore than never informed. I do not have all the knowledge in the world, but this forum doesn't offer One Who Might Know Something Because He's Screwed It Up Before as a title. In fact I was called a prick just yesterday on this forum. So be it. I have really thick skin and call it like I see it.

And tell me one person who enjoys computers who hasn't used a tweaking program or overclocked or tried a registry fix to make something run a little faster!
    *raises hand* Usually, it is hard enough just getting the crap working reliably day in and day out in the first place. Optimally configuring through exposed interfaces is one thing, tweaking through hacks or pushing components beyond their design envelope is another. For performance I buy new hardware or add memory. And like Scott suggested, any "what-if" exploration is done on a "don't care" system I can simply wipe, reload, and try again without it impacting anything. The computers I depend on I change as little as possible, often trying patches and other updates first on the "don't care" system or waiting on things I don't have time or resources to test for collective results from the first adopter guinea pigs that are all too eager to jump on beta and even alpha releases. Many of these individuals show up on my doorstep upset that their computer is broke, their data is lost and are then furious when I tell them either I cannot get it back or it will cost a ridiculous amount to do so, and that I didn't warn them.

Nutty world this.
    Hardware Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 06:45 PM
    So I am canceling my account here.
    That would be wasting a free daily opportunity to learn something across a broad array of topics and perhaps yourself. Why would you do that? And just for kicks what would your advice be to someone who would do that?

Sep 7, 2008, 07:02 PM
    So be it then. But that does not make your policy right. You said: "Once you post questions on a site like this, you open yourself up to comments on your actions." Sure you expect back comments, but not ones that attack you personally. In my opinion that is a flawed policy.

And the fact that you believe that Scleros "Was sincerely trying to help you with his advice." tells me a lot about you. Enough to make me feel sorry for a person with that kind of attitude.

So, As I mentioned before, there are plenty of other sites where I can go. Sites I have been posting on for a years now, without any trouble. So I am canceling my account here.
    Again, I see no personal attacks and that you do see a personal attack seems to say something about you.

If you don't want to use this site anymore that is your prerogative. We have plenty of members and our post counts are among the highest of similar accounts. So the saying cutting off your nose to spite your face comes to mind. If you choose to not use this site anymore over what amount to imagined slights, then that's not going to bother us.

Oh yes, and I'm another one who has never tried to overclock or tried tweaking the Registry just to get a little bit better performance. At least not on production machines.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 08:22 PM
    GUYS, you're talking about different things so this debate could continue forever, pointlessly. It sounds like you're talking about the same subject, but you're not.

The OP is now talking about his feelings and regards your professionally intended advice as personal, and you guys are talking about smart computing and taking responsibility.

You've given him good feedback. Let him use it or not.
    ============
    BTW
    .ini files are not associated with one specific program. Most all programs use .ini files of one kind or another. I wouldn't fret the icon association of .ini files. Regardless of the icon, the programs using them will function properly.

Sep 8, 2008, 10:07 AM
    ScottGem..It looks like it's just you and me in the ring now!
    Your last post (of which the above quote was the opening line0 has been removed because it was essentially a personal attack in violation of our rules, unlike the other posts you that you complained about. You seem to think this is some sort of game, but its not.

You made a complaint, you were politely responded to, giving a different viewpoint. You refused to accept that viewpoint (which is your right) and posted further attacks (which is not your right).

Those of us who spend a lot of time here have an affection and loyalty to this site and the services it provides. If someone badmouths the service unjustly, as you have done, we will defend it. We have no problem standing on our record for providing good advice here. A record that makes most of what you said just sour grapes. But I'm not here to fight with you and any further attempts to continue this will be dealt with appropriately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I messed up a word doc file! [ 2 Answers ]

And now they're all messed up. Boy I was doing so well as far as not making stupid mistakes on Pc for a long time. Guess I was overdue for a screw-up! I run Vista Home Basic x64 and I have about 20-30 Word 2003 document files. I just through reformatting and loading windows, but it was before I...

File System Type [ 6 Answers ]

What are the type of file system for Ubuntu,Fedora,Sun solaris? i.e. windows file system is FAT32/NTFS, what are the type for Ubuntu,Fedora,Sun solaris?

File system [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between having a fat or a ntfs file system?

FreeBsd & file system [ 1 Answers ]

What is file system of FreeBsd?

View more questions Search