Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Birk Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 11:07 AM
    My girlfriends smoking while pregnant
    I found out my girlfriend is about 10 weeks pregnant, she smokes about a half a pack a day. I tell her she needs to quit! And she says its hard, from what I can tell from research, smoking causes premature birth, cleft lip, and misscarriages I believe. I am no expert in this, and could really use some advice. I told her today that I will buy her the patch next week, and she said she will try it. But, today I'm doing research on the patch and being pregnant, and that looks more dangerous than smoking? PLEASE HELP!! Any info will help, any suggestions. My biggest nightmare would be to have a child with a birth defect when it could have been prevented. Thanks. Birk
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Mar 10, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Have her discuss her smoking with her doctor. He/she will be able to tell her what is and isn't safe in her condition. I agree she shouldn't be smoking while pregnant. Try to be really encouraging to her while she is quitting. See if the doctor can recommend a smoking cessation program, which many hospitals have. They provide education about the effects of smoking and offer support groups and tips to help stay nicotine-free.

Discuss the patch or any stop smoking aid, like the gum, with her doctor first. Better safe than sorry. While she is quitting, she might be a little irritable. That's normal. I quit and it was horrible for a few weeks, but it gets better. What helped me was to chew lots of gum and hard candies and to stay as busy as possible. I also had a "quitting buddy" who I would call if I felt like I was going to smoke. Maybe you could be your wife's "buddy" like that. Another thing I did was to reward myself every week I didn't smoke. I would get myself a little something I had been wanting with the money I would have spend on cigarettes.
    Benjimeister Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Mar 10, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Definitely take her to see the doctor about it, he will not only inform her (and you, if you go with her) about all the risks, but will also have the best advice on how to make quitting easier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obsessing over my girlfriends ex [ 17 Answers ]

I have been dating my girlfriend for a little over a year now. We have a great relationship. Except for the fact that I let her past relationship control our relationship now. And I don't know what to do to get over it. I want to I want to just forget about it. Why can't I just let go of my stupid...

A few questions about girlfriends [ 1 Answers ]

I have this girlfriend that I have dated for almost 5 months. She says the only thing that will make her happy is stay the night. My questions are- Why does she want me to stay the night so badly? How do I tell her I don't feel comfortable doing so? What do I do if she says I guess then it won't...

Girlfriends Issues [ 6 Answers ]

I need your advice on something... two guys are trying to move in on my girlfriend and every time she tells them to get lost, they think she's flirting with them... What the can I do? :(

Girlfriends friends [ 3 Answers ]

I've met nearly all of her friends since we started to have a relationship together. She has more guy friends then women friends... however this doesn't bother me... at least it never ever has in the past. here's the problem: I can't seem to want to get to know/have fun with a certain group of...

View more questions Search