Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imkrazykathy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 07:27 AM
    Take Cash from lump sum pension or not.
    We Are Presently On The Verge Of Retiring And Have 392000.00 In A Retirement Account. Should We Take 91000.00 To Purchase A Home For Cash, Or Should We Leave It Alone. Kathy
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Apr 9, 2008, 09:01 AM
    I would leave it alone. At most you might pull enough cash out to come up with a 20% down payment for the house. If you are over 59 1/2 years old you will avoid the 10% penalty, but that withdrawal will be added to your other income for tax purposes. I have a friend who mistakenly pulled funds from her retirement to pay off her mortgage, and then had to borrow money on the property just to pay the taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pension garnishee [ 1 Answers ]

Can my canada pension be garnished?

Can a pension be garnished? [ 5 Answers ]

Last night a deputy served papers to my mother on an account of my fathers (he is now in a rest home with alzheimers and not competent to sign anything), my mother is not named in the suit and is not on the account. Is his pension subject to garnishment? The rest home gets most of it now, along...

Her pension vs no pension [ 1 Answers ]

My friends is getting divorced and being sued for infidelity. His wife has a great teachers pension. What percent do you think he may be entitled to. The point is they have 2 houses and land, but she is the bread winner. He wants to keep the primary home. They live in NY. I doubt the charge...

View more questions Search