Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marijarvis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2014, 03:35 PM
    How to add a dba to a 501(c)3
    What is the process for adding a dba to a 501(c)3? The DBA is already set up at the county level listing the parent n/f/p as the corporation. What is the process for getting the IRS to recognize it?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 11, 2014, 03:51 PM
    If you call it a "501 (c) (3)" you are implying that you already have IRS recognition. This recognition process is not automatic; it can be quite complex actually.

You can supplement your recognition application by supplying the fact that your organization is "doing business as" some named d/b/a. I don't know if this is necessary, however.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 11, 2014, 03:53 PM
    As far as anyone I know who was a dba, you just add dba on the title line of your tax return.

I have heard of states that require that business names by run by them because they don't allow certain ones, but you are past that stage?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 11, 2014, 08:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv
    As far as anyone I know who was a dba...
    "d/b/a" is not a noun. It is not a thing. The phrase means, of course, "doing business as", as in "John Smith, doing business as 'Smith's Widgets' ". John Smith might be a sole proprietor, but people who buy widgets from him know is store as "Smith's Widgets". Similarly, if OP's non-profit corporation does business as (some phrase), that doesn't affect who is responsible. Whether the IRS will allow people, who have made charitable donations to the non-profit, to deduct those donations is what 501 (c) (3) recognition is all about. A review of the IRS bulletins and manuals on the subject might answer the question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DBA status [ 5 Answers ]

Are there any specific forms to file - in order to qualify the DBA and to provide the legal status of the DBA ?

Can a board member of a 501(c) get contracts with the 501(c)? [ 1 Answers ]

We have a board member that has a current contract with the 501(c) that he sits on the board for. Is this legal, ethical, allowed?

View more questions Search