Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    georginajz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 04:43 PM
    How do I know it's time to put my dog down
    I have a 13 year old Wheaton, and she had dimenschia, earing loss, and trouble with her eyes. Recently we have put her on medication so her bones don't hurt. The doctor says she has a strong heart. I have been home this week because in the middle of the night she paces.
    I noticed that she sleeps all day, and shakes when she sleeps. She does get up to go pee, but has peed on the couch while sleeping. She doesn't do anything, just sleeps and pees. She doesn't even know who I am sometimes.

Everyone says I should put her down. The vet thinks she has another year to her.

Someone help me... this is a hard decision. Do I put her down, or just let her keep going?:(
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Nov 6, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Please do a Google search for "The Dog's Prayer". That might provide guidance for your decision. If my computer skills were better, I would have included it in my answer. I wish you the best at this difficult time.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2008, 07:48 PM

If I had a life like you described your dog has I have an idea that I would want life to end.
    Since you really do not know what kind of pain the dog is in or just how terriable it could be for her, and since she has no way of telling you then you have to assume it could be great.

So I think that your decision has to be made on the basis of whether your desire of having her alive for a year or more or it could just be weeks, or whether to let her suffer.

My vote is to put her down in a loving way with you holding her in you lap, patting her and telling her how much you have enjoyed her. God Bless You.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 11:48 AM

Georgina, I am in the same boat as you. I have a 13 1/2 year old black lab, he's almost completely blind, completely deaf, has arthritis and epilepsy, and is starting to have problems breathing. He's still a happy dog, he loves his human family and his other fur brothers and sisters.

I too have been thinking about when to make that decision for our beloved pet. I truly believe that when the time comes, you will know.

If your pet is in pain, not able to live a happy life anymore, then I do believe that putting her down is the most humane thing that you can do. But don't do this just because your dog is deaf, or blind, or peeing in the house. We all get older, our bodies all start to fall apart when we age, but as long as we're still living a good life, that's all that matters.

You'll find the answer in your heart, your beloved pet will let you know when it's time. I truly believe this.

Good luck, if you ever want to talk about this, I'm here. :)
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Nov 9, 2008, 12:05 PM

I wouldn't put her down unless she is in pain that cannot be managed. Death is a natural part of life and if the vet says she has another year, let her live that other year. However, at some point you will likely have to make this decision so I have some advice for you; since I had to put my dog down because he had cancer at 2 years of age. I cried for about a week agonizing about taking his life; and he was in pain. I didn't think I had a right to play "God" as it were; but in the end my heart said to end his suffering.

The advice is this; when the times comes, hire your vet to come to your house to put the dog down (which is what I did). I could not have my dogs final day away from the family in a place that he doesn't feel safe and is likley scared. I wanted him in his home with his family so we could all say goodbye (I have tears in my eyes now thinking about that day). The vet sedated him and then gave him the lethal injection on our kitchen table. Our family and my kids friends then when out back and had a funeral for him and buried him at home in our back yard. It was a great lesson for my children with regard to death, to see it close up and to feel and express the gratitude and love to "Gatsby" before he passed in our home, his home, our family together in his final moments.
    georginajz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 02:22 PM

THANK you for all your replies. They helped me realize that when it's time... it's time...

I also learned that we should follow our own insticts as they will guide us. I felt she just wasn't herself, and it was just a matter of time. I didn't want her to feel pain or the feeling of not loving life because she was the best dog anyone could own.

Nikki, the Wheaton, passed away yesterday. She basically lost all will of life and callapsed. When I took her to the hospital it was suggest that she be put down because she was in pain and would pass away by morning on her own.

Thank you everyone for your answers and guidance.

I will be removing this question in a few days, I just thought you deserved to know.

Sincerely;

Nikki's best friend.
    Pets Expert

Nov 12, 2008, 04:21 PM

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, that's the one pain of loving a dog, they never out live us.

Find comfort in your memories, in the love you had for her. Remember her always and know that she was comforted by your presence when her time came.

Take care.
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Nov 12, 2008, 06:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by georginajz View Post
    THANK you for all your replies. They helped me realize that when it's time ... it's time...

I also learned that we should follow our own insticts as they will guide us. I felt she just wasn't herself, and it was just a matter of time. I didn't want her to feel pain or the feeling of not loving life because she was the best dog anyone could own.

Nikki, the Wheaton, passed away yesterday. She basically lost all will of life and callapsed. When I took her to the hospital it was suggest that she be put down because she was in pain and would pass away by morning on her own.

Thank you everyone for your answers and guidance.

I will be removing this question in a few days, I just thought you deserved to know.

sincerely;

Nikki's best friend.

I'm so sorry about Nikki and the sadness you will feel, but on the bright side, after you grieve her loss there will be so much gratitude fill your heart for the gift that Nikki was in your life; and I am sure you were in hers. She did not die alone, you were with her in her final moments and you relieved her suffering; we should all be so blessed to have our loved ones with us in our final moments on this earth.

I know in time you may provide a loving home to a new dog as I am sure you have lot's love to share; but to this day I know that I have never forgotten the joy that the dogs in my life have brought me, as I am sure Nikki will remain a part of your heart for as long as you live.
    Pets Expert

Nov 12, 2008, 07:33 PM

Here's a poem I found touching. I hope you do too. :)

ROOM IN YOUR HEART

Sorrow fills a barren space;
    you close your eyes and see my face
    and think of times I made you laugh,
    the love we shared, the bond we had,
    the special way I needed you -
    the friendship shared by just we two.

The day's too quiet, the world seems older,
    the wind blows now a little colder.
    You gaze into the empty air
    and look for me, but I'm not there -
    I'm in heaven and I watch you,
    and I see the world around you too.

I see little souls wearing fur,
    souls who bark and souls who purr
    born unwanted and unloved -
    I see all this and more above -
    I watch them suffer, I see them cry,
    I see them lost, I watch them die.
    I see unwanted thousands born -
    and when they die, nobody mourns.

These little souls wearing fur
    (Some who bark and some who purr)
    are castaways who - unlike me -
    will never know love or security.
    A few short months they starve and roam,
    Or caged in shelters - nobody takes home.
    They're special too (furballs of pleasure),
    filled with love and each one, a treasure.

My pain and suffering came to an end,
    so don't cry for me, my person, my friend.
    But think of the living -
    those souls with fur
    (some who bark and some who purr) -
    And though our bond can't be broken apart,
    make room for another in your home and
    your heart.

--- Caro Schubert-James ---
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Nov 13, 2008, 11:53 AM

This is from a book I just read "The Darkest Evening of the Year"

"Dogs lives are short, too short, but you know that going in. You know the pain is coming, you're going to lose a dog, and there's going to be anguish, so you live fully in the moment with her, never fail to share her joy or delight in her innocence, becuase you can't support the illusion that a dog can be your lifelng companion. There's such beauty in the hard honesty of that, in accepting and giving love while always aware it comes with an unbearable price. Maybe loving dogs is a way we do penance for all the other illusions we alow ourselves and for the mistakes because of those illusions."
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 14, 2008, 07:51 AM

I'm so very sorry to hear of the passing of your best friend Nikki. It's a very hard thing to have to go through. Their little lives really are too short, but they sure pack a whole lot of unconditional love into those years.

I have a little 'Niki' of my own, and I hope to have many more years with her. They really do enhance the quality of life, and sometimes can even save your life, as my Niki did.

So sorry for your loss. We really do understand how it feels to lose a great friend and loving companion. I'm sure you have great memories of her, and just know that she is at peace, and no longer in pain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Student dependent visa UK, Full time or Part time work? [ 26 Answers ]

I have student visa of UK and I study in university. My wife recently came in London. She has student dependent visa. She doesn't study. Can she work full time? How many hours she can work? Thank you

Dark brown lines going across my screen from time to time [ 10 Answers ]

I have a problem with my computer monitor, I have these brown horizontal lines that go across my screen sometimes (REALLY ANNOYING). I just replaced the video card so its not that, also if I hit the side of the monitor the lines go away:p Just wondering if there's anything I can do that can fix it!...

Live in MA, Student in NY: Full-Time/Part-time/Non-Resident? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I am a 21 year old student attending a college in New York. Last summer (2007) I stayed on campus - as opposed to coming home and living with my parents in Massachusetts - and worked/earned an income through the school. However, the previous winter break, which ended in middle-January 2007, I...

Will husband just get time served or added time to probation [ 11 Answers ]

My husband's not being extradicted on probation violation. But will they add more time to his probation, or get time served or more jail time for new misdemeanor charges of canabis and pharapharnalia? So lost any info or some similar experience would be helpful thanks can't sleep until I know until...

Part Time / Full Time / Non - Resident - need clarification on this [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian Citizen. I came to US on L1 Visa on 20th October, 2007. I am trying to file the tax return through File Taxes Online - Do Taxes FREE - File Taxes With TaxACT. There is a question : "Whether you are a part time resident / Full Time Resident or Non-Resident". I am not sure...

View more questions Search