Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2021, 07:51 PM
    Urging insurrection in front of thousands in front of the WH and urging the thousands to march on the Capitol is NOT free speech. Yet, there are some here who defend Trump doing this very thing under the guise of free speech.
    Defending Trump is easy in this case. It never happened.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 22, 2021, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Good and necessary point. So many do not understand the simple concept of free speech.

Urging insurrection in front of thousands in front of the WH and urging the thousands to march on the Capitol is NOT free speech. Yet, there are some here who defend Trump doing this very thing under the guise of free speech.
    They have been steadily claiming the dufus made me do it! Here's an interesting poll that helps you figure out where you stand against other Americans.

Vast majority of Americans hold Trump responsible for Capitol siege: poll - Business Insider

As we can see those still SD (Shoulder Deep), are in the minority.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2021, 05:16 AM
    the purge moves to Capitol Hill . Rep Stephanie Murphy has introduced legislation that would ban any person from federal employment or military service who might have attended any protest rally that claimed the election was stolen, or even suggested that there was voter fraud.( titled the Security Clearance Improvement Act of 2021).

Anyone who is convicted of having breached the Capitol building on January 6th and committing acts of vandalism or attacks on law enforcement officers should be disqualified from obtaining a security clearance. But this bill would effectively criminalize every person who showed up for the rally and remained out in the streets protesting. The same would go for the hundreds of other rallies held across the nation in the preceding months.

.................................................. ..................................

Colleen Oefelein, an associate literary agent with the New York City-based Jennifer De Chiara Literary Agency, was sacked after her boss learned that she owned accounts on Gab and Parler. The agency’s owner, Jennifer DeChiara, publicly announced on Twitter that the firm had dropped Oefelein after making the “distressing” discovery. She was not sacked for anything she posted on those sites . She only had to be registered on the sites as a pretext for getting canned .
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2021, 05:43 AM
    Security Clearance Improvement Act of 2021
    Hard to imagine how that would pass inspection by the courts.

As to the rest, every freedom loving American should be concerned. Guilt by association can cut in many different directions.
    Expert

Jan 30, 2021, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    the purge moves to Capitol Hill . Rep Stephanie Murphy has introduced legislation that would ban any person from federal employment or military service who might have attended any protest rally that claimed the election was stolen, or even suggested that there was voter fraud.( titled the Security Clearance Improvement Act of 2021).

Anyone who is convicted of having breached the Capitol building on January 6th and committing acts of vandalism or attacks on law enforcement officers should be disqualified from obtaining a security clearance. But this bill would effectively criminalize every person who showed up for the rally and remained out in the streets protesting. The same would go for the hundreds of other rallies held across the nation in the preceding months.
    summary_of_security_clearance_improvement_act_of_2 021_rep._stephanie_murphy.pdf (house.gov)

Not criminalize Tom, that's your word but rather tighten up the security clearance process.

.................................................. ..................................

Colleen Oefelein, an associate literary agent with the New York City-based Jennifer De Chiara Literary Agency, was sacked after her boss learned that she owned accounts on Gab and Parler. The agency’s owner, Jennifer DeChiara, publicly announced on Twitter that the firm had dropped Oefelein after making the “distressing” discovery. She was not sacked for anything she posted on those sites . She only had to be registered on the sites as a pretext for getting canned .
    If you have more on this story I would be interested because I could find nothing to justify this firing other than businesses running from these sites.
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2021, 06:33 AM
    Literary Agency Fires Employee for Using Parler, Gab (yahoo.com)

Laws vary . Alaska gives employers more discretion than others but the terms of employment need to be specific ie employee handbook has to state that employee membership to Parler is prohibited . Also the agency operates out of NY .So not sure which state's laws apply.

But having a social media membership is enough to get canned ? Suppose my boss canned me for being a member of NRA ? Or maybe a conservative boss cans someone for having a Twitter account ?

Jennifer DeChiara, - Twitter Search / Twitter
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2021, 07:04 AM
    "We apologize to anyone who has been affected or offended by this." So now simply being "offended" is a major problem? Incredible. I will assume that being "offended" by someone's membership on Facebook or Twitter would not qualify as a grounds for termination.
    Expert

Jan 30, 2021, 11:43 AM
    Facebook and twitter have been cracking down as many of the social platforms have.

I just don't buy she was fired because she is a conservative Christian though. That's disturbing on many levels. More info need.
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2021, 01:08 PM
    I did not say she was fired because she was a Christian or conservative .The facts are that her boss said she was fired because she used Parler and Gab ;two sites that many conservatives went to when Twitter began suspending conservatives . What Facebook does has no bearing . She was not kicked out of Twitter and her posts on Twitter were mostly job related ;non-political . Her boss started getting pressure from the intolerant cancel culture left and decided to fire her rather than face boycotts . There .....answered your question about motives .

If De Chiara's motive was that Colleen was a Christian then there would be a clear 1st amendment violation . I did not even say that the boss should face any action because of her decision. I was just pointing out in that and other examples on this thred that the left is in active purge of conservative thought mode.
    Expert

Jan 30, 2021, 03:32 PM
    She said it herself.

Agent Fired from Literary Agency for Using Parler and Gab (msn.com)

"Well thanks Twitter and @JDLitAgency," Oefelein wrote. "I just got fired because I'm a Christian and a conservative."
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2021, 04:26 PM
    and ? I take the word of the person who actually fired her .
    Expert

Jan 30, 2021, 08:00 PM
    Trust but verify...good enough for Reagan!
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2021, 03:00 AM
    if the person who took the action ,who is the founder of the agency ,publicly states why she did it, that pretty much verifies the story.
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2021, 05:56 AM
    The cancel culture arrived this week at San Francisco. The city's school board decided to remove the names of George Washington ,Abraham Lincoln ,Paul Revere ,and other names of historical American leaders from 44 schools .

Lincoln who freed slaves was on the hit list because native Americans were mistreated during his term . Both Roosevelt Presidents made the hit list . Even down town Willie Brown was cancelled ( “responsible for much of the gentrification” in the city during his tenure. )

And what was Paul Revere's big offense ? You remember Paul Revere ,the colonial patriot who as a member of the Sons of Liberty made a midnight ride to alert the colonials that the Brits were on the march.
    That don't matter . Paul made the egregious error of being a Lt Colonel in the colonial marines that took part in an expedition to recover Penobscot Bay Maine that had been lost to the Brits . The expedition was a disaster with the Americans losing all but one of 44 ships sent . It was America's worse naval loss before Pearl Harbor . Revere was put under house arrest and court-martialed on charges of cowardice and incompetence during the expedition. He was eventually exonerated . But that incident does not negate Revere's service to the country . But the board incorrectly assumed that this defeat was somehow tied to the conquest of the Penobscot Indians ;which of course is pure fiction nonsense .

The board did not consult historians while making these decisions . They relied on Wiki entries and tv shows .

OH yeah to make this bipartisan they also cancelled Dianne Feinstein . She repeatedly order the reinstalling of the Confederate flag outside city Hall when she was mayor . She also helped in the destruction of the Pilipino community through mass eviction . Well maybe this one is justified
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2021, 06:11 AM
    Gotta hand it to those liberal dems. They sure know how to move things forward.

The city's board of elections
    Did you mean Board of Education?

The list also included naturalist John Muir, Spanish priest Junipero Serra, and Francis Scott Key, composer of the “Star Spangled Banner".
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2021, 06:23 AM
    The city's board of elections

Did you mean Board of Education?
    yup gotta remember to finish my coffee before posting
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2021, 06:34 AM
    New term for Americans. "Coffee error", defined as a justifiable and understandable error due to not having had our morning jolt of caffeine.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 31, 2021, 10:52 AM
    Gotta love snowflakes from both sides...
    Interesting about getting fired for using a couple of sites.
    I know the US has "at will" employment, but this is really taken things that step too far.
    There's clearly more to this then just the report, bringing their employee into disrepute would be a starter.

Roll on the Thought Police, 1984 has nowt on this mess.

Any idea how Parler's claim against AWS is going ?
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2021, 11:18 AM
    last I heard was that a Seattle judge rejected an injunction . No surprise there . I imagine there will be appeals .
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2021, 12:30 PM
    Any idea how Parler's claim against AWS is going ?
    I don't think they've made much progress. One thing about it, though. If they get back on line, they will explode. It's hard to say how many new users would sign up after all that's gone on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I list purchases from Amazon by Amazon or by the sub vendor? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a number of purchases from Amazon that are from separate vendors using Amazon sales portal, they are mostly one offs... do I list them as separate vendors or just under the main main Amazon account in my ledger?

How do I regain parents trust after a serious trust break down? [ 1 Answers ]

Basically my ex fiancŽ did dope and I had a little of it now and again, but then when we broke up I found more of my mates do it too. As I enjoyed a little smoke now and again I bought my own stuff e.g a grinder and some weed. For 3 weeks I was buying my own and hiding it at home. Ä°t was never a...

It hurt to break someone's trust? [ 3 Answers ]

I hurt my boyfriend by breaking the promises I made with him.I chat with male friend when he was chating with me .he have given me a second chance but I again did it now he is hurt very much and not receiving my calls so will he forgive me...

Can you regain trust after a break up? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, here goes. A little background info. My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 7 months but we didn't become offical/exclusive tillNovember. He dumped me a few days ago because I told him once again I was uneasy about his friendship with my cousin. I get jelous quite often and moody. He...

View more questions Search