Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gracieflower Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Large Larvae Dropping from rafters in garage?
    I have had about 20 or more are whitesh 1 inch long by about 1/2 inch diameter larve dropping from the rafters in my garage. At first I thought they were coming in until I actually saw one drop. Most die because of the drop but others just wiggle around then die. The seem to have legs or stubs at only one end the other nothing. I am so freaked out by this every time I go ino the garage there are more and more.
    What are these and how do I get rid of them?

Oct 11, 2008, 03:27 PM

Oh, I forgot to put in I am in Mid West Georgia area. These larva or worm like things are larger than anything I could find searching on the interenet. I will see if I can get a picture and post.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Oct 11, 2008, 08:04 PM

As to What - don't know.

However, if you can close up the garage (use a big sheet of plastic, say, if there is no big garage door) , I'm thinking one of those insect bombs that you put in the middle of the room, start it, and get out FAST, will likely do the trick. This is assuming that the little beasties are not falling through some hole in the ceiling but rather are actually confiined to the room.

If they are coming from the attic, perhaps you can fire the bomb up there.

Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. have the bombs. Read the directions on the bomb carefully before you buy and before use to make sure you can use and are using correctly. It is highly toxic and can cause fires (probably a fuel air explosion, actually) if exposed to a spark. Used with common sense and per the directions the bombs are safe. You need to keep things sealed up for about 4 hours (for the one I used, anyway).

My suspicion is that the things aren't harming anything (but what could they be eating?), but one never knows.

Good luck

Oct 12, 2008, 10:50 AM

They are definitely confined to the garage. Above the garage is the living space, living room and kitchen. There are only rafters not any ceiling installed so I hope they are not chewing there way through to anything.
    We are on the same page as far as the bug bomb. As soon as I posted this I went to Home Depot to purchase the bug bombs. I have used them in the past in the garage to reduce the critter population spiders mainly(don't really ever get rid of all the critters).
    It was cool enough to no have the AC on so I set if off last night. I closed all outlets and inlets. I just when down there an only 2 had dropped from the ceiling dead. Don't know what to make of that. Either I killed the rest in the ceiling or they went deeper, creepy. I going to take a pic of the dead ones but they are darker after they die. Back soon.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Oct 12, 2008, 11:51 AM

Sounds like miner bees, they are large yellow and black bumble bee sized bees that tunnel into the rafters and lay eggs in there, basically they make Swiss cheese out of the wood.
    Keeping the exposed wood well painted will discourage them from tunneling since they prefer unpainted wood.
    You can spot the holes by looking for little piles of sawdust on the floor. I squirt a little WD-40 into the hole using the handy little red straw that comes with the can, then plug the hole with a cottonball or a piece of masking tape (concentrating and inhaling contents may be harmful or fatal, bye bye bees)

Oct 12, 2008, 03:33 PM

The rafters in the garage are unpainted. I really don't want to have to paint all of them. I would have to remove all the insulation etc. arrgh! Would I have seen the bee's flying around? Because I haven't seen any bees. I know which ones you are talking about. I had them put a hole in the board right under my gutters near the front porch. I used a bug bomb and then put steel wool then filled in the hole permanently. Maybe I have bionic bees because that was through painted wood. I tried to upload a picture but don't have a url to do it with. I am sure these are what you said because of the size of the larvae.
    What is the cycle of larvae? You said the bee's lay the eggs in the wood do the larve try to go somewhere after and make a cocoon? Because they aren't making it anywhere. They die by dropping or die by drying up after rolling around the floor. This is the craziest thing I have ever had in my house. I alway's thought of myself as a tomboy but now I going the girly girl route! This is totally gross!
    iFire Posts: 39, Reputation: -1

Oct 13, 2008, 11:07 AM

Of course, you could call an exterminator; a professional.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need ID of larvae [ 2 Answers ]

I have whitish larvae the size of your index finger now appearing on my porch, started mid -August. They are not visible during the day. Only see them in the morning. More and more each morning. They are very fat and clear white and ugly. They curl up when I go to remove them. I need to identify...

Weird larvae [ 1 Answers ]

Help! When I went to my car this morning there were hundreds of little larvae looking things under my car mostly under my tire. I left and when I got back they had started to move towards a shed we have outside. They are about an inch in size and have a point at one end. They look like a little...

Identify Larvae [ 5 Answers ]

Please could you identify the larvae in the attached photo, it is about 10mm long. I found it attached to the wall of my apartment in Tenerife today. (It wasn't there last night) I have put it in a glass container & a tiny caterpillar like grub keeps coming half out, then going back in. I was...

Larvae Like Pest [ 4 Answers ]

Recently I have been seeing several small larvae looking things that resemble a cream colored caterpillar about a half inch in length. I have been remodelling my house for quite a while and am about to repaint but am trying to figure out what these things are. They seem to go to the corners...

Help me identify this larvae-like bug [ 0 Answers ]

I've found this trying to sneak into my house, can someone helpme identify it? :confused: http://www.cercadonet.com/larvae_bug.jpg Thanks in advance

View more questions Search