hectoralicea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 06:31 PM
    My computer
    When i shut down my computer i see a box with the following message
    End program - smax4pnp
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 9, 2008, 06:42 PM

Looks you downloaded some peer to peer program that is loading at startup. You need to uninstall it.

P.S. I moved this from Forum Help which is clearly marked as only for questions about using this site.Please read the warnings before you post.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2008, 08:15 PM

Smax4pnp.exe
    is a program which could have been installed by you, or may have even arrived on your computer the day you purchased it as this may have been preinstalled software. The actual disk location is also listed below, always verify where its located on your hard drive, as this makes sure it is not spyware or adware simply placed elsewhere on your computer, and using the same name in an attempt to fool you. This is a file Analogue Devices and the file's disk location is listed below. This is part of your install when installing Analogue Devices audio products on your PC. This file is considered safe and is not spyware or adware, but as always be sure to check your file location.

C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe

As mentioned above, you probably have something loading on startup.

Check your startup programs:
    -start, run and type msconfig and hit enter
    -go to startup tab and look through programs there for Smax4pnp.exe, if there, uncheck it and click apply

Or you installed a program recently with above characteristics as mentioned above, it is up to you if you want to stop it from loading
    iFire Posts: 39, Reputation: -1

Oct 10, 2008, 11:16 AM

Or you could end the process with Ctrl+Alt+Del which should open the Task Manager. Go to the processes tab near the top and find the respective process. End it. That may help.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Oct 10, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iFire View Post
    Or you could end the process with Ctrl+Alt+Del which should open the Task Manager. Go to the processes tab near the top and find the respective process. End it. That may help.
    No, this will only end the process for the current session, next time he starts up the problem will recur.

I suggest downloading CCleaner and installing it. Then, run it, click on Tools, and click on Startup.

Now, click on ANYTHING you don't really need running all the time and disable it. This includes the Smax4pnp reference if you can find it... but also all the little helper programs you don't really need, like iTunesHelper, AdobeUpdateManager, QPService, etc. Disable all of them and see if your problem is not only solved, you computer magically starts acting noticeably quicker.

Now, since CCLeaner is installed, use it's other cleanup tools to spiff up your computer all around. I run this puppy once a week.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer how do I stop limewire setup dialog from popping up on my computer [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone help me stop limewire setup dialog from popping up on my computer, it always pop up while I am in the middle of something

Computer speakers don't work even when not hooked to a computer! [ 2 Answers ]

I have an older set of Boston Acoustics speakers. There are two speakers and a sub. The power goes into the sub and there is a control out that goes to one speaker and then from that speaker to the other one. On the back of the sub there is a power in, control out, digital in, and analog in, if...

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

View more questions Search