Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    McNuggy@LMC Posts: 40, Reputation: 3

Feb 27, 2006, 03:40 PM
    Difference between Memory Types
    hi... I have several different types of RAM that I would like to put into my computer to make it run a little faster but am unsure whether I can put them all in together without the computer stopping or malfunctioning.

My motherboard takes SDRAM which the sticks are but two of them are Pc133mhz and one is Pc100mhz.

the board has four DIMM slots for the sticks, I`m wondering should I put the Pc100 as the first then the Pc133 after or vice versa? Or should I not even put the pc100 with the pc133?

the pc100 is my original 128mb SRDAM stick and the others are Pc133. 256mb and 64 respectively

any help or pinters would be appreciated.

cheers... nuggy

oh just as a random question as well, every now and then my computer just will not reboot from a restart. I select restart from the list and it shuts down but then does not reboot! FORNICATE!! And my reset button does not seem to want to do the same thing anymore, usually I have to hold the power button in for approx 7-10 seconds before it switches off and then I have to actually switch the power off at the back on the power box,press the on/off button on the front to take the charge out of the caps and then wait 2 minutes for it to finish having its little tantrum and switch back on. Some times it will only get to the bios screen before locking up. It is making me very fornicatingly angry.
    vartan Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

Feb 27, 2006, 05:20 PM
    Well first I would suggest going to http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/
    And scanning your system it will tell you exactly what ram you can use.. or you can read your documentation to find this out also. You probably use pc100 and the pc133 is just running at 100. But I suggest to use the correct memory that your computer can use... This also can be the problem of why your computer is having problems booting up.. but it also may be something else... If the scanner above doesn't work if you can give the make of your computer, model, or just the model of your motherboard we can tell you which you can use.

Feb 27, 2006, 07:03 PM
    Sweet... I ran the program from th link you provided but I`m unsure of which motherboard I have.

System specs. Are AMD 750mhz athlon, gigabyte dual bios board. 428mb of sdram (with all three sticks in the dimm slots)

I would like to overclock it to see whether I can get more speed out of it without overheating, my colling system is fairly good so I imagine I can do this.

On the bootup screen when its doing its search for hardware(bios) is the board model number the one up the very top... 5-6 digit and 1 or 2 letters?

Thanbks for your reply vartan... much appreciated

I will wait for the next reply before I continue with this.

Cheers :D

Feb 27, 2006, 07:13 PM
    OK I`m a twit... on the crucial page it told me! What model board I had... here's the specs

Computer Manufacturer
    Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd.
    Computer Model
    7VX
    CPU Manufacturer
    AuthenticAMD
    CPU Family
    AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
    CPU Speed
    751 MHz
    Front-Side Bus Speed
    100 MHz
    Currently Installed Memory
    256 MB
    Maximum Memory Capacity
    1536MB
    Total Number Of Memory Slots
    Available Memory Slots

OK I`m a little puzzled because it is telling me that I have two empty slots, but I have put two sticks in there, it seems that the extra 128mb which is pc100 is not being picked up.

I ran a Google search on it and was pointed to this link
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...=9007#post9007

It didn't help me but I noticed that the same message "mportant information about your system
    Memory configurations for Windows 95/98/ME with greater than 256MB, require adjusting the Vcache settings as outlined by Microsoft article Q108079." is there as well...
    How do I change my vcache settings? Perhaps this is the problem?

Anyway thanks again
    vartan Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

Feb 27, 2006, 10:18 PM
    OK so now you know what memory you need so that has helped.. Here is the problem though.. your FSB (Front side bus) is 100mhz.. so your Processor can only go that high no matter if you wanted to do anything you are limited by the 100mhz FSB. So all you need to do is buy as much memory as you want up to 1.5g and you will be set.. By default your PC will set for Vcache to 1.5 the size of your ram.. which would be 2.25gb.. What the vcashe is if you don't know is space on your hard drive that it uses as a page file (swap file) it swaps files back and forth for your ram when needed... Honestly with 1.5g you could go without a page file but they suggest against it cause if your ram is used up things will just stop responding.. if you make it bigger then your hard drive will be accessed more during times it will use ram which will slow down performace.. It is suggested just to leave it at 1.5x the size. What did crucial suggest to you as ram? I would not buy the ram straight from crucial though because you will pay an arm and a leg I would go to http://newegg.com/ they have great prices.. Please let me know if this helped.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2006, 07:03 AM
    Hi,
    Do you have Win98/98SE?
    Please post back if you would like a listing of good Maintenance steps for 98/98SE. When you mentioned turning off your computer manually, and having shut-down problems, It sounded like 98! There are some things you can do to correct these problems.

Mar 1, 2006, 09:56 PM
    Nope I`m using Windows Xp Professional Edition Fred, I would rather 98se but I`ve lost my cd. XP is a ram intensive hog of a program.

Thanks for your help though vartan. Champion... have a good one:D
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Mar 5, 2006, 03:46 AM
    Never say you would rather go with 98se.. 1 good thing doesn't offset all the crap you had to or will deal with.. what if you ever want to plug in new hardware?. xp is the way to go.. easy plug and play... as for your memory if you got it and it doesn't lock up on you.. use it... just remember all the memory speeds will clock down at the lowest speed that is installed.. . pc100/133 have the same notches so they are interchangeable... if you want great prices for memory go here and look around.. www.pricewatch.com
    I'm bettin the shutdown and lockups are due to imcompatible memory you have right now.. just use the memoy that doesn't make the system faulty

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grass types? [ 3 Answers ]

How do you tell what type of grass you have so you can re-seed your lawn?

Types of gun [ 16 Answers ]

How many types of guns are there?

Modem Types [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Could anyone advise me on what I have to do if I currently have a broadband connection (all connected up and installed) in my home but my PC only seems to have a 56k modem installed. Ie: Is there still a way I can connect to the internet on my PC via my broadband cable? The connector on the...

Data types [ 4 Answers ]

A friend in the Wondir forum wants to know what data types mean, is there a simple explanation? Or should I refer him to the Princeton knowledge base? Thanks for your help.

View more questions Search