Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lyndacf Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2005, 11:02 AM
    Lights with dimmer switches buzz
    The lights in our house that are controlled with dimmer switches all seem to have a faint buzzing sound when turned on. Does anyone know why this is?
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Apr 10, 2005, 07:50 AM
    This is...
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndacf
    The lights in our house that are controlled with dimmer switches all seem to have a faint buzzing sound when turned on. Does anyone know why this is?
    Quite common, especially when the dimmer is set to low intensity. It is due to the internal circuitry in the dimmer and it might be possible to purchase a more sophisticated (expensive) model that eliminates this.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2005, 01:15 PM
    The buzzing is caused by something vibrating from switching the current. Check where the buzzing is coming from, and see if you can find something buzzing. Do not touch hot wires. If you can find the source, you may be able to stop it with a bit of glue, crimping with pliers, a wedge, etc. Too much glue can insulate a circuit leading to overheating and maybe fire. The vibration may be inside something not designed to come apart.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transformer buzz on heat pump [ 4 Answers ]

We just got a new heat pump/furnace/airconditioner installed (Trane) and you can hear the "buzz" of the transformer on the outside unit all of the time. Our old unit did this, but I always assumed it was because it was getting old and something was wrong. Is this normal? And why is the...

Loud buzz in CB panel when A/C turns on [ 4 Answers ]

Each time my central A/C turns on, there is a loud buzz for less than a second from the CB panel, then the A/C comes on and runs just fine. The A/C is a new unit, but I recall hearing the buzz with my old unit for many years and thought it was related to that. I have 200A service but the panel...

Lights and switches [ 1 Answers ]

About a month ago we went to replace the bulb in my sons closet and it wouldn't work.. so we never got aorund of calling a electrician yet.. thinking it might be the wires where you put in the bulbs... well the light bulb was out in my laundry room last night so I replaced it and went to cut it on...

Connecting 3 dimmer switches on one circuit [ 2 Answers ]

In my basement I have three separate single pole light switches that control the recessed lighting. These separate switches were all next to each other and somehow were interlinked with one another. I've moved these switches to one wall and put them in a three gang box, so I can control the...

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

View more questions Search