Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    a roy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 05:30 AM
    Tax Return and claiming refund
    This is in regard to my filing tax return in US for year 2007 and claiming refund.

I have come from India to US in Oct'07 under L1 visa for the first time.

I work for USA company and get paid by them.

The company have withheld tax (as per W2) for period Oct-Dec'07.

As an.. fyi.. I have SSN. My plan is to stay in US for the full year of 2008. I have also paid tax in India for the period.. 'Apr-Sep'07.'

My question... 'Am I eligible for full tax refund for last year of 2007 as my stay here was less than 183 days.

It would be appreciated if I get a quick response as I have to file my return within a day or two.

Thanks.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 31, 2008, 09:46 AM
    If you are single, you can only file nonresident tax return for 2007. You will get exemption of $3,400.

You can deduct moving expenses on Form 3903. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Moving Expenses
    a roy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by a roy
    This is in regard to my filing tax return in US for year 2007 and claiming refund.

I have come from India to US in Oct'07 under L1 visa for the first time.

I work for USA company and get paid by them.

The company have withheld tax (as per W2) for period Oct-Dec'07.

As an.. fyi.. I have SSN number. My plan is to stay in US for the full year of 2008. I have also paid tax in India for the period ..'Apr-Sep'07.'

My question...'Am I eligible for full tax refund for last year of 2007 as my stay here was less than 183 days.

It would be appreciated if I get a quick response as I have to file my return within a day or two.

Thanks.
    Thanks.

I am single and hence not claiming for any dependent.

From your reply it seems ,that I would get refund, but it will not be full or 100%. Hence I have to pay some of the with held tax.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT to H1B Tax filing-SS tax refund? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. Arrived in US in Aug 2003, on OPT from Jan 2006 and on H1B from October 1st 2006. I started working in Feb 2006 in California. Throughout the year in 2006 Social security , medicare and disability taxes were deducted from my paycheck. Will I get a refund for these...

Claiming Tax Benefit for H4 [ 1 Answers ]

I am staying in US from October 2005 and I got married last year in December 2007 and my wife arrived to US in February 2008. Can I file as “Married Filing Jointly” for tax year 2007 and claim the benefit? Thanks, Vijay

Late filing for New York state return with refund [ 1 Answers ]

Hi AtlantaTaxExpert! We are filing a state tax return in New York but still awaiting for my ITIN. We have a refund. I checked the NY website it says there that we shoud file an extension even though we don't owe any tax. Since we were not able to apply for an extension before the filing due date,...

How does the US/India tax treaty affect the state tax refund? [ 3 Answers ]

The people who make International Student Taxes have put a special resource page for Indians. International Student Taxes | Resources | Students from India I am stuck on a point in this page. To quote: "2. If you took the standard deduction last year, do not put anything on Line 4 of...

How I can fill tax return wihtout my wife ITIN # and show her at my tax return [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a h1 visa holder living New York and my wife joined with me she has h4 visa When I fill this year tax return I want to get benefit how I can get ITIN # for her Yes I know about W-7 form but it's very confision Give me some info please step by step Thanks

View more questions Search