He goes, he will ask whether there's office politics
    In the company.

Do you think there's really a company totally without
    Office politics? If no, how normally you avoid yourself
    To get involve in it?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2010, 11:24 AM

Your friend needs to stop asking about the new company's office politics and if that company has any. He won't be hired by any company at that rate. The term office politics is basically a misnomer. It is really each individual employee's attitude and pecking order that comes into play. The company really has nothing to do with "office politics". The company does have something to do with company policy and company rules. Please explain this to your friend so he will get hired.

How do you avoid office politics? You don't avoid it you just go with the flow and keep your nose clean and don't gossip.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2010, 08:25 PM

He needs to stop asking this question or it will appear that he creates the problem or doesn't get along with people or can't manage interpersonal problems so will contantly be in his manager's office complaining.

He can certainly ask about the dynamic of the team, and other non-threatening questions like, "what are the management styles of the individuals I would report to". Often people will tell you flat out that a particular manager is demanding, disorganized, etc. - they will sugar coat it but will often tell you exactly what you need to know. He can also ask questions like, "can you share why this position is available...is it new or has the current person been promoted?" They might tell you there's a need for a change, which will tell you you are walking into a situation where there has been prior dissatisfaction.

Another telling question can be, "what qualities do you think would be important for making an individual successful in this position, and what if any qualities have you seen in individuals that would be detrimental to success in this position?"

It's positive to have some thoughtful questions but not to sound like you're challenging them to be good enough, or saying, "I just went through hell...is this hell, too?"

I once interviewed for a job and was told both by HR and one of the managers that he was difficult and hard on his staff, and that several had left. Ultimately I left because he was abusive. They told me what to expect and I walked into it thinking that it couldn't be that bad. What I learned is to really listen and not gloss over red flags in the interviews. Remember you are interviewing them, too.

Your friend would do very well to participate in some job-search networking groups where he can both vent to get rid of his frustrations, and also learn ways to put himself in a better situation moving forward.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 9, 2010, 08:30 PM

I have a feeling that you're getting office politics and office policy confused.

Office policy means the rules of the office. Those rules are put down by the owners and managers of that company. If you don't follow the rules, then expect to be fired.

Office politics is normal when a group of people work together. It can be anything from gossip to bullying. Sadly there's not much you can do about it. If it's bullying then you can inform the manager, but most times nothing is done.

If your friend keeps asking potential employers about the "office politics" then he's going to look silly and most people don't like to hire silly people.

He has to learn to go with the flow, to do his job and stay out of the office politics.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2010, 08:20 AM

I don't get the impression that danielsr's friend is asking about office policies. I think he has had a bad experience in a politically charged office and is trying to avoid getting into a similar situation.

It's just not a good thing to bring up, but if we listen carefully in the interview we can pick up on a lot. I know I am so nervous about how I present myself, I have failed to pay appropriate attention to red flags in what the interviewer says, and later I am thinking, "wow...this was what they were talking about - I wish I had paid attention to that".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The company purchases some office equipment for $1400 and pay a $100 delivery charge. [ 2 Answers ]

The company purchases some office equipment for $1400 and pay a $100 delivery charge. You sign a note payable To Office Warehouse for the cost of the equipment. The note is a two month, 12% note. You write a check to Express Delivery Company for the $100 delivery charge. The estimated useful...

Marketing an Office Cleaning Company [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just recently started my own cleaning company. My focus is on commercial properties so I can stay home with my 2 year old during the day. I am up and running finally! I have my license, bond, insurance, website, cards, bid sheets, now all I need is a few clients! :) What is the best way...

The situations that comes along with Office Politics [ 1 Answers ]

What if a boss tells his staff work is slow, and he has to rotate everyone schedule so everyone can get paid, but instead allowed all his employees except two of his employees to gain hours and a steady paycheck? Do you think this situation is unfair?

Tax break for home office while employed by company? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a virtual worker, telecommuter, whatever you want to call it, for a large company that I do not own. Can I take a home-office deduction as if I were self-employed for the part of my apartment that I use exclusively for my office space?

Taxes owed on company based outside NY, office in NY [ 1 Answers ]

My employer is based out of Phoenix, at least their W2 states this, and my office is in New York City. Last year I moved to NJ and the payroll department started withholding NJ taxes. I work virtually but several times a month would go into the office in NYC. A few questions: 1) Is my income...

View more questions Search